AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Pragmatic Av's Top FA Target

Av the fan wants the Rams to sign a top FA like Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Andy Levitre, Phil Loadholt or Dashon Goldson (just to name a few).

Pragmatic Av, however, says "wait a minute there..."

Probably half of the dream FA targets will re-sign with their own team. The rest will likely break the bank in signing with some team that still believes (despite the failures of Dan Snyder and the 2011/12 Eagles) that FA is the way to build a winner.

The Rams will have some money to spend, and may be able to offer one player a sizeable contract, but they are in no position to get into bidding wars (nor should they want to).

So, who do I think is a FA target who makes sense, and might be within the Rams' budget.

Erin Henderson, OLB, Minnesota Vikings

Henderson would immediately fill a need at OLB. He's young, and has proven to be a good run stopper. Signing him would also remove the temptation to reach for an OLB in a draft that is somewhat thin at the position.

Another factor is that the Vikings, who have to re-sign Loadholt and deal with Percy Harvin's demands, probably will have to let Henderson hit the market.

So, while I'll be on the edge of my seat if news breaks that the Rams are reaching for the starts with one of the top FAs, if that doesn't happen, I hope they can hit paydirt with a guy like Henderson.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-09-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pragmatic Av's Top FA Target

Henderson would make even more sense if Mike Singletary is brought in to be the Rams' DC, as Mike has been Erin's position coach in Minnesota for the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Henderson would make even more sense if Mike Singletary is brought in to be the Rams' DC, as Mike has been Erin's position coach in Minnesota for the last two years.
    Synergy! I like it!

richtree is offline Registered User

I think Dustin Keller is a "makes sense" free agent as well.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I like it because I have been sort of liking Zavier Gooden 6' 2" 240LBs, OLB, Missouri for us in the 3-4 round of the draft, but he's listed as developmental so having Henderson might be a good transitional player. I think Draft Countdown has a typo on Gooden in their rankings because they have him running the 40 at 4.39, no else is even close to that time.

I assume Henderson a SAM LB'er because that is the side I believe we need to fill. I think Pragmatic AV also needs to tell us whom of our own FA's he see's us re-signing/restructuring as that will huge impact on our FA $.

If I may wander in first, I'd like to see us re-sign W. Hayes(solid rotational), R. Turner(potential starter/depth), R. McIntosh (purely depth), T. Laws (purely depth) and restructure Q. Mikell. I'm truly undecided about Amendola and SJax as it will depend on what they're looking for. In today's NFL if you can find a draftee that comparatively replaces an aging veteran that's the way to go based on the rookie wage scale.

If SJax walks then I'd like to throw bit of controversy into the discussion of 1st round picks by suggesting we shouldn't be surprised if Jeff selects E. Lacy at #22. We'll need a cow-bell RB and Lacy fits that bill better than any other RB except for L. Bell. Plus, I believe he's more talented. But I'm wandering off topic.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I assume Henderson a SAM LB'er because that is the side I believe we need to fill.
    Correct. At 244 lbs, I think he has the size to hold up on the strong side.

I think Pragmatic AV also needs to tell us whom of our own FA's he see's us re-signing/restructuring as that will huge impact on our FA $.
    It all starts with SJax. If he can be brought back at a more cap-friendly figure, that is the priority.

Danny Amendola is a guy I'd like to see back, but I'm starting to think he's going to seek outrageous $, and some other team will give it to him.

Next on the list is Hayes. He is a key guy in the DL rotation, and would be missed if he leaves.

The rest of our FAs are players who I would only bring back as stop-gaps on 1 year deals. Among the players who fall within that category, Turner is probably the guy I'd call first.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Correct. At 244 lbs, I think he has the size to hold up on the strong side.

It all starts with SJax. If he can be brought back at a more cap-friendly figure, that is the priority.

Danny Amendola is a guy I'd like to see back, but I'm starting to think he's going to seek outrageous $, and some other team will give it to him.

Next on the list is Hayes. He is a key guy in the DL rotation, and would be missed if he leaves.

The rest of our FAs are players who I would only bring back as stop-gaps on 1 year deals. Among the players who fall within that category, Turner is probably the guy I'd call first.
    I agree with you on Amendola; I think that he personally wants to come back, but his agent seems like the ego-maniac type who's going to try to get his client the most amount of money no matter what

Rambos is offline Registered User

Av seems like a good fit.

Here are a few I would consider if we had the cash for one big name FA.

Safety William Moore, Dashon Goldson or Jairus Byrd

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Av seems like a good fit.

Here are a few I would consider if we had the cash for one big name FA.

Safety William Moore, Dashon Goldson or Jairus Byrd
    William Moore is a local kid (or at least fairly local.....Hayti, MO). Maybe he's looking to "come home".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I actually wanted Henderson last off-season (along with a few others). Wouldn't mind signing him to a small contract and seeing if he could pull off a Dunbar.

THE DREAM TEAM

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    William Moore is a local kid (or at least fairly local.....Hayti, MO). Maybe he's looking to "come home".
    Not to mention Les Snead was part of the FO that drafted him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Not to mention Les Snead was part of the FO that drafted him.
    Good point.

As to Henderson, I think he would be a fine pickup. Excellent against the run. He's only a 2 down LB, but that's all to be asked of most 4-3 SAMs. Justin Durant is a similar candidate, if Henderson is not interested.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Mike Singletary could be a huge factor having been Erin Henderson coach. He also has had an impact on another player we could use. Safety Dashon Goldson, comments he made, looking forward to playing against Mike Singletary in an exhibition against the Vikings.

"He was one of the guys that gave me my start. He saw something in me," Goldson said. "He's always been a good coach. ... I'm glad he's still in the league."

We all know how it works, players like to sign with coaches that they have played for in the past. Mike Singletary could help us land two key players.