Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Pre Bowl Mock draft

Free Agents
    O.J. Otogwe, FS, Rams- Gotta bring him back. One of the better play making safeties in the league

Thomas Howard, OLB, Raiders- Great LB, fast(plays for all Davis what do you expect) big hitter, decent pass rusher. Where he excels in comparison to other LBs is coverage. As a former safety he has the size and speed to perfectly match up against TE's. Rams don't know how to cover TE's so this will help. The Raiders don't know what they are doing so his stats have gone down playing more on the strong side. He is a pure WLB and would be a good compliment to Lauranatis.

Tavaris Jackson, QB, Vikings- He has got potential, mobility for the system, and has learned to make better decisions. He is starting right now if Brett Farve was a decisive person. Are the Vikings still 11-2? Maybe

Tony Schefler, TE, Broncos-
    Really underutilized in Denver, will lower asking price. Ton of talent as receiver exactly what the rams need in the red zone and passing game in general.

Zach Strief, OT, Saints-
    last thing the Rams want to do is spend another boatload of cash on another offensive lineman. Strief great size 6'7 325 cheaper option who could surprise at RT. Goldberg really played his best at RG he will start their for now.

Karl Paymah, CB, Vikings-
    Bigger more physical corner spags wants. Can start until Fletcher comes back then be a really good nickel

Leonard Little, DE, Rams
    - Brought back cheap 1 year deal, provides a pass rush until a younger guy develops.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska-

Beast what can I say. A line with Long, Ryan, Suh, and a RE. Great young defensive line, with the potential to be dominant.

2. Colt McCoy, QB, Texas

Mobil, great leader. He will definately need some time to transition from the spread to a pro style offense. Might not have the arm, but he has the intangibles to be a good QB.

3. Danario Alexander, WR, Missouri

Big receiver the Rams currently don't have. 6-5 with great hands and is definately a threat in the red zone. Beastly local Mizzou boy. Adds another element to what our other young guys offer.

4. Danny Batten, DE, South Dakota State

After raiding the big 12 from its best players the Rams go to South Dakota State. Batten one of the best pass rushers in D II. Future at RE and will instantly rotate in as a pass rusher. With Long, Ryan, Suh if Batten develops. Dare I say it fearsome foursome part deux?

5. Vladimir Ducase, OL, Massachusetts

Plays LT at Massachusetts, but would probably play guard or RT in the pros. 6-5 330 he is a behemoth. Great run blocker and good in pass protection. Probably would be the future at RG since Goldberg is only signed through 2011 and we aren't sure what he have in Grecco.

5. Lamarcus Cooker, RB, Hampton

Fast explosive guy perfect complement to S-Jax. Rams need some explosion and they get it.

6. Josh Hull, LB, Penn State

With 2 stars in Williams and Lauranatis, the rams will be fine with Vobora and Grant. Vobora was coming on pre injury and grant has shown flashes. Hull adds some competition can play all 3 LB spots.

7. John Fletcher, DE, Wyoming

Spags loves his DE's. Adds another guy to give some reps to. Probably could learn to play some DT also.

7. Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh

Third TE behind the Blocker Bajema and Receiver Scheffler. Byham offers a little of both as the 3rd TE.
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -12-17-2009 at 06:13 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Pre Bowl Mock draft

39thebeast is a pretty smart dude even though we don't agree on much, I respect his opinions.

The above draft/free agent strategy is very good and most of us would be happy. I personally don't like McCoy, but I understand going best QB in round 2.

I DISAGREE that we take a WR in round 3 before we get a DE. We need a rushing, athethic DE to make anything on our Defense work. Also, if we bring Suh in through the draft, we don't him double teamed without help on the edge. Little simply can't do it next season. He can't play 16 games at a high level.

DE in round 3 and maybe even round 4. I would rather use our picks on DE/OG and wait until late for a chance at a WR.

Nice post though

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That's a solid offseason, Beast. I especially love your first 3 rounds! It follows my personal draft strategy of 1. Suh, 2. BQBA, 3. Alexander.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I have to say. This is by far my favorite mock. I think you clearly addressed all problems of this team in a practical way. Although my one concern is that I don't think we can count on Goldberg as a starter. I think he is a versatile backup, but not a quality starter.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You are hired beast. Where do the Rams send the check? If the Rams get those top 3, it's an early draft A card from tx.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Agreed TX, I think this is not only an awesome off season but all of it is totally plausible.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Very well done mock! The offseason isn't that unrealistic, and I think you did a nice job addressing the draft.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Looks good to me!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

My initial reaction is just WOW!

I want Jimmy Clausen but the mock was really good.

However i don't think we will draft another developmental WR we have so many young ones as it. I think you should have us picking up a Dominik Hixon in FA and a TE in the 3rd.

But it was really good.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    However i don't think we will draft another developmental WR we have so many young ones as it.
    Not to be a 'zou homer, but Alexander is unlike any WR we have on the roster. He's 6'5", 215-220, runs a 4.5, and has great hands. Led the nation in receiving yards, and yards/game; 2nd in the nation in receptions. He would be an instant upgrade to this receiving corp.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

While I love ALL of this, I also could see the Rams picking up a second tier veteran WR. Someone they could argue is an instant attempt at an upgrade. Schefler is completely underrated by most fans. He is a difference maker but he has gotten lost in Denver. I'd rather have Owen Daniels but Schefler would be a second option.

D.J. Williams I believe was wrapped in Denver for many more years. He renegotiated his contract at the beginning of the season. But getting an OLB is important.

I'd also rather have an Ellis Hobbs at CB. I really like the guy but he's on a similar level as your guy.

Strief is an EXCELLENT choice at OT. Not sure the Rams can get him but I'd love if they made a push for him. He is a backup in New Orleans but would start INSTANTLY at RT for the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    While I love ALL of this, I also could see the Rams picking up a second tier veteran WR. Someone they could argue is an instant attempt at an upgrade. Schefler is completely underrated by most fans. He is a difference maker but he has gotten lost in Denver. I'd rather have Owen Daniels but Schefler would be a second option.

D.J. Williams I believe was wrapped in Denver for many more years. He renegotiated his contract at the beginning of the season. But getting an OLB is important.

I'd also rather have an Ellis Hobbs at CB. I really like the guy but he's on a similar level as your guy.

Strief is an EXCELLENT choice at OT. Not sure the Rams can get him but I'd love if they made a push for him. He is a backup in New Orleans but would start INSTANTLY at RT for the Rams.
    Strief won't cost that much I think the Rams could land him. He doesn't even have double digit career starts.

Hobbs more experienced, but he really he isn't the physical press type of corner the Rams want. Also he costs more and has never been on a loosing squad so not sure he would come here.

Owen Daniels coming off a major knee injury I don't think we would go after him and he would probably go back to Houston on a cheaper deal.

Thanks for the note on Williams I will change that

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Hobbs is physical enough. Heck, he's on the Eagles (was on the Patriots) and they both run a physical type defense. Plus his special teams are a key advantage.

My point with gettin Strief is that New Orleans will try and keep him. Not that we couldn't afford him. I wanted Max Stark last year from Pitt. He was in a similar type of situation.

Daniels tore an ACL. Those things can happen to anyone and they aren't carreer threatening anymore. He'll be slowed for part of next year but he's a premier TE. I'd rather have him than a free agent upgrade at WR. BUT, Schefler isn't a far step down.

I like your switch out at LBer at Thomas Howard. Guy is a pretty darn good player. As with Owen Daniels, I think we can get Thomas Davis who is also coming off a knee injury. These are the types of guys who are more able to be gotten because their current teams will want discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Hobbs is physical enough. Heck, he's on the Eagles (was on the Patriots) and they both run a physical type defense. Plus his special teams are a key advantage.

My point with gettin Strief is that New Orleans will try and keep him. Not that we couldn't afford him. I wanted Max Stark last year from Pitt. He was in a similar type of situation.

Daniels tore an ACL. Those things can happen to anyone and they aren't carreer threatening anymore. He'll be slowed for part of next year but he's a premier TE. I'd rather have him than a free agent upgrade at WR. BUT, Schefler isn't a far step down.

I like your switch out at LBer at Thomas Howard. Guy is a pretty darn good player. As with Owen Daniels, I think we can get Thomas Davis who is also coming off a knee injury. These are the types of guys who are more able to be gotten because their current teams will want discounts.
    Stinchcomb is signed long term at RT. Jermon Bushrod also signed and he is playing LT filling in for Jamal Williams Williams he is signed. They will probably bring back Williams. No need to keep Strief as 4th tackle they could get one much cheaper and much easier. Strax had way more starts different scenario.

Just because he was on physical defenses doesn't mean he was physical. He was 4th string behind Sheldon Brown, Joselio Hansen, and Asante Samuel. He is a good returner, but Amendola is younger has more upside and is probably better as a returner at this point.

You never know with injuries. We can't afford to miss. That is the only problem i have with those type of guys. What if they don't go back to pre injury form? If that happens on a team like ours it would be especially devastating. That is why I personally wouldn't risk it.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Man, this is quite a solid piece of work. Great job

If it came out anything like this, I'd be quite pleased!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast