View Poll Results: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 34.62%
  • No

17 65.38%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Let's see where ClanRam stands.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

It all depends on who is still on the board at 11.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Yes ... Screw Huff ... Our safeties aren't close to our primary concern. Draft Davis if not there Greenway if not there M. Williams if not there Huff
    RamsFan16

Yes ... Screw Huff
    I would take him, sorry RamsFan16. He is the real deal.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Of course it depends on

-who is on the board
    -what we have done in free agency prior to the draft, including our own guys
    -the possibility of a trade down
    -the health of our recovering guys

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan16

general counsel is offline Registered User

Ramsfan 16, who was he playing against? Are you showing us film of him playing against nfl linebackers? Its what i call the men against boys theory. I have no doubt he is dominant athletically etc at the college level, but lets not get carried away about his ability to be a superstar in the nfl. Maybe he will be great, i am not knocking the kid, i just would urge caution, we are not nfl scouts and the jump in competition from college to the pros is night and day. same reason it makes no sense to draw lots of conclusions from mini camp, training camp and pre season.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Ramsfan 16, who was he playing against? Are you showing us film of him playing against nfl linebackers? Its what i call the men against boys theory. I have no doubt he is dominant athletically etc at the college level, but lets not get carried away about his ability to be a superstar in the nfl. Maybe he will be great, i am not knocking the kid, i just would urge caution, we are not nfl scouts and the jump in competition from college to the pros is night and day. same reason it makes no sense to draw lots of conclusions from mini camp, training camp and pre season.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    NFL Linebackers or not Davis is mad skills and will be worth alot more than Michael Huff. Like I said I'd rather have J. Williams over Huff.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Yes ... Screw Huff ... Our safeties aren't close to our primary concern. Draft Davis if not there Greenway if not there M. Williams if not there Huff
    LOL Screw Huff? It's amazing how absolutely polar you are. You either love a guy or you apparently hate him.

And honestly, I don't know what Rams team you were watching this season if you make statements like, "Our safeties aren't close to our primary concern."

Also, Mario Williams should be above BOTH Davis and Greenway on that list. The guy's an elite talent, and I'd take him over all three of the other players you listed.

I do'nt hate the like or dislike the guy. I think he is overrated and think it would be a dumb pick to select him.
    RamsFan16

I do'nt hate the like or dislike the guy. I think he is overrated and think it would be a dumb pick to select him.
    But you think drafting Chad Greenway before Mario Williams is the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    But you think drafting Chad Greenway before Mario Williams is the way to go?
    No I don't think its the way to go. Just because I said thats my draft board doesn't mean thats the way to go. I don't know why you guys are so high on Huff.
    RamsFan16

No I don't think its the way to go. Just because I said thats my draft board doesn't mean thats the way to go.
    If you don't think that's the way to go, then why is that your draft board? I don't understand what you're saying.

I don't know why you guys are so high on Huff.
    There are three primary things that I look for in a safety, if not in any defensive player that's not on the line.

1) Coverage Ability. Michael Huff is a ballhawk in the secondary. He has the athleticism and the ability to play both deep zone coverage and man-to-man against wide receivers. Does a great job reading the QB's eyes. Has great closing speed. When he gets his hands on the football, he can take it to the house. Gets a good jump in jump balls, and times the ball well in the air.

2) Run Support. Huff makes plays sideline to sideline. He's a great tackling safety, and has great recognition. Huff can play as an in-the-box safety and regularly makes good open field tackles despite giving up large amounts of size to his opposition (refer to Huff bringing down LenDale White and Dom Byrd in the Rose Bowl, for instance).

3) Instincts. Huff is a very smart football player. He rarely bites on play-action fakes, and his quick with his play recognition. He knows how to take good angles to the football, both as a tackler and as a pass defender.

Huff grades out very well in all three categories. He has the ability to play either free safety or strong safety, and has the athletic ability to come close to the line and play cornerback. His biggest weakness might have been brought about by this athleticism, as he's been shuffled around from safety to cornerback during his time in college. But Michael Huff is as close to a complete package at safety as you're going to find in this draft, and I would contend a better complete package than any safety you'll find in free agency.

I'm sorry that one video of Huff didn't impress you, but what can you expect? That just goes to show you why scouts look at more than a two minute video to determine how impressive a guy is. And the bottom line is Michael Huff is impressive.

Yea and Atogwe has it. Its stupid to draft anotther DB in R1
    RamsFan16

Yea and Atogwe has it
    Does not have near the talent of Huff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast