View Poll Results: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 34.62%
  • No

17 65.38%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Does not have near the talent of Huff.
    Ok so after one year you guys have gave up on Atogwe? Ok so lets cut him and Carter and draft Huff. Will that make you happy?

RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Ok so after one year you guys have gave up on Atogwe? Ok so lets cut him and Carter and draft Huff. Will that make you happy?
    LOL Again, so polar. Where did we say we have given up on Atogwe? Where did we say we should cut him? It's hard to talk when so many words are being shoved into my mouth.

If Atogwe had all those things as you claim he does, he shouldn't have lasted into the third round. But he lasted into the third round because he doesn't have a lot of the qualities Huff has right now - he lacks great instincts, he doesn't have ideal size for the safety position, and he certainly doesn't have Huff's recovery speed or athleticism.

The biggest difference is that OJ needs development. He needs to develop better instincts and recognition skills to make up for what he lacks physically, and if he can do that, I think he'll be a fine starting safety. I really like OJ, and I'd like to see him competing for a starting job this summer.

But I already made that statement earlier, and I know that you saw it because you tried to tell me OJ couldn't play SS, which he can. So you know that I'm not in favor of getting rid of him or giving up on him. Why the claim that we're saying cut him? Come on now.

It's funny when we sit around all season and talk about how poor the defense is, how this defense may in fact be worse than the 2000 unit, but when it comes time to get a great defensive player to improve the unit, it's stupid.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Huff isn't great and you guys say how Huff is better than Atogwe and Carter already so why don't we just cut them if we draft Huff because we don't need them.
    RamsFan16

There are two safety spots. Huff, Atogwe, and Carter can compete for them. Whoever doesn't win a starting job provides solid depth.

Why wouldn't we need Atogwe and Carter if we draft Huff? Furthermore, who is saying any of this? If you're not going to respond to what we're saying, instead simply putting words in our mouths, then I'm going to save myself some time and duck out of this "debate."

Why can't Arch or Furrey compete for theM?
    RamsFan16

They can. But as of right now, neither are under contract, so I didn't factor them in. That said, Furrey is not an ideal starter, and Archuleta hasn't shown me that he's capable of being back to pre-injury form. I would prefer to let him walk and get his money elsewhere.

What if Huff can't adjust?
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    What if Huff can't adjust?
    Can't adjust to what - play in the NFL? You could ask that question of any rookie. What if Reggie Bush can't adjust to the harder hits and bigger workload? What if Vince Young can't adjust to the speed of the NFL? What if, heaven forbid, Chad Greenway can't shed blocks from bigger and more athletic lineman or can't track down faster speedier NFL running backs?

Questions about how well a player will adjust to the pro game shouldn't deter you from selecting them unless the play makes you suspect a problem could exist. That's why you look at their college experience, measurables, instincts, etc etc, and judge what they've done. Huff has shown outstanding ability and performance at the highest level. As an NCAA National Champion, he's at the pinacle of college football. He's played with the best, and he's stood up to the challenge. He wasn't named Rose Bowl Defensive MVP for nothing.

There's a chance Huff might not be able to make the adjustment... just like there's a chance every rookie might not. But when you look at Huff's resumé, I think it's easy to conclude that the risk is rather low. It could happen, but I would consider it rather unlikely.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pic

IMO, the Rams will draft Vernon Davis if he is still on the board. There is absolutely NO WAY he falls past us. Linehan has even gone on record to say that whichever position of need has the best talent available on the board at the time we draft, we will take them. Davis>Greenway>Huff. However, I will not be sad if they get Greenway. I will be estatic either way, as both additions will be huge for the Rams. But here is an interesting post. Linehan has shown his fondness and need for a good TE when he was a OC in Minnesota and Miami. In Minnesota he had Jermaine Wiggins, which was a great pass catching and blocking TE. Same goes for Randy McMichael, who is one of the Top 5 TEs in my book. This shows that Linehan has a desire for a pass catching WR esque TE and Manumaleuna does just not fit the bill. Just my opinion.

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pic

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81
    But here is an interesting post. Linehan has shown his fondness and need for a good TE when he was a OC in Minnesota and Miami. In Minnesota he had Jermaine Wiggins, which was a great pass catching and blocking TE. Same goes for Randy McMichael, who is one of the Top 5 TEs in my book. This shows that Linehan has a desire for a pass catching WR esque TE and Manumaleuna does just not fit the bill. Just my opinion.
    Another interesting point is that neither Wiggins nor McMichael were first round picks. Wiggins was an undrafted free agent, and McMichael went in the fourth round. Furthermore, while McMichael is certainly a top 5-10 tight end in this league, Wiggins is not. What this shows me is that Linehan does place an emphasis on tight ends in his offense, but doesn't require an elite talent at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Another interesting point is that neither Wiggins nor McMichael were first round picks. Wiggins was an undrafted free agent, and McMichael went in the fourth round. Furthermore, while McMichael is certainly a top 5-10 tight end in this league, Wiggins is not. What this shows me is that Linehan does place an emphasis on tight ends in his offense, but doesn't require an elite talent at that position.
    You make an interesting point, but there is a problem with it. Linehan was no where when Wiggins was undrafted and signed or did not have a factor in McMichael going in the 4th round. That has nothing to do with the fact they are still extremely talented. He did not draft McMichael, it was by luck that he had the chance to work with him in Miami. McMichael or Wiggins not being taken in the 1st round means nothing. They are one of the top in the league, maybe not Wiggins but he still got the job done, and I am sure Linehan will want someone like either of those two in St. Louis which is why I believe they will draft Davis. He is a WR in a TEs body. What more could you ask for?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Statistics are a function in large part of opportunities. I think we all know that whoever is at tight end is going to get a lot more opportunities to contribute catching the ball than that position did under martz. I fail to see how any of us are qualified to evaluate manu as a pass catching tight end when he had about one ball per week thrown to him. I didnt hear anyone screaming when he made that fantastic catch over the middle deep against seattle in 2004.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Who is to say we can't sign an LB like Julian Peterson or CB like Nate Clements? Much easier to fill the needs of LB/CB/S through free agency than filling the void of our TE spot. Name another time Manumaleuna came up big for us other than that career highlight you posted. And by the way, Cleeland made that phenomenal catch to win us the Wildcard game last year in Seattle, so I guess he is just as good too! Pointless argument you made.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -02-21-2006 at 12:25 AM.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I voted NO for reasons posted elsewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Linehan was no where when Wiggins was undrafted and signed or did not have a factor in McMichael going in the 4th round.
    That doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate that talent at the tight end position can be found later in the draft. During his four years as offensive coordinator in Minnesota and Miami, neither of the two tight ends he worked with were Day One picks. Linehan might not have been in the war room when those picks were made, but I can guarantee that through working with these guys he understands not only the importance of talent at the position but also that said talent doesn't have to be acquired using a high draft pick.

Now, that's not to say Linehan doesn't like or covet Davis. Who knows, maybe he does, and maybe we draft him. I just think there are a lot of us who sat through 2005 watching our defense bend, break, and crumble, hoping that the Rams use every means available to improve it. And perhaps I speak only for myself here, but I believe that drafting a stud tight end to play on an already talented because he grades out slightly higher than a defensive player would be a rather large lost opportunity to improve the real need area of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I fail to see how any of us are qualified to evaluate manu as a pass catching tight end when he had about one ball per week thrown to him. I didnt hear anyone screaming when he made that fantastic catch over the middle deep against seattle in 2004.
    I see your point GC, but unfortunately I'm not sure I agree with it. Manu might be an adequate tight end, but he's had plenty of time on the field and has not distinguished himself. Maybe he hasn't had a lot of balls thrown at him, but is that a function of play calling or his inability to gain separation from a defender? These kinds of questions need to be considered. Aside from the Seattle catch, I don't think I've seen him make a catch that I would qualify as tough. It seemed this season that the only balls he caught were ones in which he was a good five to ten yards away from any defender. Furthermore, you'd think a guy that size would be a very good blocker. He's inconsistent in that area as well. Maybe Linehan is able to turn him around, but like the safety position, I think TE is an area that we can and should upgrade.

Who is to say we can't sign an LB like Julian Peterson or CB like Nate Clements?
    Um, I think the salary cap says we can't. I've analyzed our cap situation based on an estimate of $92 milliion, and I don't see a way the Rams bring in a top tier free agent player on either side of the ball. Furthermore, the Bills are on record as saying Clements will get the franchise tag.

So who's to say we can't bring in one of those types of players? I'm curious who's to say we can, because I'd challenge them to show me how they're going to make it happen under the cap.

Much easier to fill the needs of LB/CB/S through free agency than the void of our TE spot.
    I disagree, specifically about the safety position. Excluding our own Archuleta, there are perhaps three free agent safeties in this group coming up that I think are pretty good players - Hope, Chavous, and Schulters - and I'd really only give Schulters a serious look. Other than that, I'm not impressed, nor do I think we can significantly upgrade the position with the crop that's out there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast