View Poll Results: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 34.62%
  • No

17 65.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

Out of our our starting safteies last season, only two guys had previous safety experience in the NFL.

Arch and Hawthorne.

Arch was decent and Hawthorne sucked. The rest of our safeties were adjusting to the speed of the NFL. For the Rams to replace Atogwe or Furrey at FS, I think thats a mistake. Both guys showed some promise last season. Furrey was pretty good in coverage although he was lacking in run support. As Atogwe learned the game, he became much better. He really came on at the end of the season in run support and coverage. Ok, so lets draft Huff for SS. Something tells me that Haslett is going to do anything to keep Arch in a Ram's uniform.

Someone tell me where the Rams have come out and said, "Safety is our #1 priority" The only reports I've heard are that Haslett wants Arch back and we need to adress the CB situation along with the LB corps and TE position.

As a corner, I'd take Williams over Huff. Williams doesnt grade out at #11 though. Vernon Davis and Chad Greenway do. I see Huff going to either Arizona or Detroit. Which means, most likely, he wont even be there for the Ram's selection. In fact, Greenway might be gone to the Niners in the first round. So the Rams are left with DeMeco Ryans, Jimmy Williams, and Vernon Davis at #11. The only guy who grades out at that Spot is Davis.

General Counsel, you brought up Davis playing against weaker opponents. Exactly how many offensive power houses did Texas play? I think everyone saw how overrated Texas Tech was when they got blown out defensively by Alabama and their ballhawk saefty, Roman Harper.

Safety, TE, and LB are all deep in this class. At #11 the biggest playmaker is Vernon Davis. He's a guy that the Rams need to fill the H-Back position that Linehan loves so much. I'm sick and tired of manumaleuna getting blown up at the Line, dropping passes, and fumbling the football. It's time that the Rams got a playmaker at that position who has enough raw talent to be a starter tomorrow. That guy is Vernon Davis

The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pick?

We can get a good TE later or through FA so i really dont think we need to spend this pick at #11 on a TE

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    They can. But as of right now, neither are under contract, so I didn't factor them in. That said, Furrey is not an ideal starter, and Archuleta hasn't shown me that he's capable of being back to pre-injury form. I would prefer to let him walk and get his money elsewhere.
    What has Arch shown to say he cant return back to pre injury form? Haslett has already stated that Arch is better in coverage than advertised. Arch was still a playmaker against the run. Ok, lets talk about the mistakes he made. A lot of people here like to talk about the dropped INT against New York. He knocked the pass away though. What if he isnt there and the pass is completed? He won us the game against Tampa Bay with that amazing fumble recovery. Without the Tampa win, the game against New York is nothing. This year, he had some missed tackles. He was still one of the team leaders in tackles and was there to make the play more often than not. I shudder to think how badly the Rams would have been picked apart without him.

The guy is a playmaker who was used horribly by Larry Marmie. His role was so completely different under Marmie than it was under Lovie. Marmie didnt use Arch to attack the offense. Instead he held him back in a soft zone coverage most of the time. That is in no way Arch's strong point. He is a guy who needs to be up in the box 80% of the time. When he was, he was effective (I.E. Arizona and Tennessee). When he was asked to stay back in coverage he wasnt effective (I.E. New York Giants)

Arch will be brought back and he will be a playmaker again. He's a special talent who just has to be used correctly. Lovie was smart enough to do it and Martz was stupid enough to hire a replacement who refused to do it.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    We can get a good TE later or through FA so i really dont think we need to spend this pick at #11 on a TE
    Who do you think we should spend it on?
    RamsFan16

We have good safeties on the roster. Where's the need to select Huff at #11?

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    We have good safeties on the roster. Where's the need to select Huff at #11?
    There is no need to. it would be wasting a pick. Since we are already probrably one of the youngest secondaries why make it any younger? Its a waste of a pick IMO. In order to establish a great offense again. We need Vernon Davis. When we were the GSOT we had a good TE in Ernie Conwell and now we have Cam Cleeland and Brandon Manumaleauna. Plus Chillar won't be anything but a backup LB and Coakley I hope retires or we cut him since he is worthless and Claiborne needs another shot so that leaves Pisa Claiborne ? Possibly Greenway. Or Pisa Claiborne Faulk Greenway depending on if your defense is going to be 3-4 or 4-3. S is one of the lasts of our needs. Ahead of WR.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    S is one of the lasts of our needs. Ahead of WR.
    LOL

So we have bigger needs at QB, RB, FB, WR, OT, DE, DT, CB, and K than we do at safety, huh?

I'm beginning to wonder if the last game of the season is the only game of 2005 that people remember.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

LOL

So we have bigger needs at QB, RB, FB, WR, OT, DE, DT, CB, and K than we do at safety, huh?

I'm beginning to wonder if the last game of the season is the only game of 2005 that people remember.
    Yea I'm saying that ... And also how come before or right after the season ended you wanted a Linebacker now you want Huff?
    RamsFan16

Yea I'm saying that ...
    Um, okay... I guess all I can say is I disagree. To think that RB is a bigger need than safety? OT? I find it hard to believe you're being serious.

And also how come before or right after the season ended you wanted a Linebacker now you want Huff?
    Because in nearly two months time, a lot has changed. And they'll change again after free agency.

No. I remember every game. I remember the Arizona game where Arch makes the sack at the end to save the game. I remember The Saints game where Furrey takes the ball away from the TE to, again, save the game. I remember the Houston game where Atogwe made the sack to, save the game. I also remember the last game where Atogwe finally got a lot of playing time and was dominant. I also remember the games with Hawthorne as our starter at FS. Those were the games where safety was horrible. When he was cut, CB and LB were exposed as the Rams were destroyed by running games.

I saw safety imrpove as the season progressed. Thats what I saw. I saw TE and LB get worse. I did see some nice things from CB though. Groce showed that he can be a pretty good player, Bartell showed some great potential, and Ivy showed a lot of heart and toughness.

The Rams are very young on defense. The guys will get better with another offseason. Unfortunately for ChiGuy, guys dont come into the NFL ready to dominate. it does actually take time to get adjusted to the speed of the game.

No, we have bigger needs at DE, CB, DT, and P. There is a lot of potential in that defensive backfield. It needs more than just one season to develop though.

Um, okay... I guess all I can say is I disagree. To think that RB is a bigger need than safety? OT? I find it hard to believe you're being serious.

Because in nearly two months time, a lot has changed. And they'll change again after free agency.
    Ya I'll give it to you that my post about safety being the 2nd least biggest need was pretty dumb on my part. But how has it changed? We haven't resigned anyone, signed anyone, traded for anyone?
    RamsFan16

I saw safety imrpove as the season progressed. Thats what I saw.
    I'm sorry, but I did not. We will have to agree to disagree about this. I did not see improvement from Carter. I thought Archuleta played around the same decent yet unspectacular level all season. Furrey showed good ball skills but did not improve on any facet of his run support. And Atogwe saw defensive action in two games, so I don't believe you can accurately say he improved through the season since there's no mark of where he was earlier in the season.

No, we have bigger needs at DE, CB, DT, and P. There is a lot of potential in that defensive backfield. It needs more than just one season to develop though.
    How can you sit here and defend young players like Atogwe and Carter by saying they need more time to develop, but turn around say we have a need at CB despite drafting a young raw guy in Bartell, whom we spent a higher pick on? One could also make the case that Hargrove needs more time to develop as well, but you list DE as a bigger need. That's entirely contradictory, in my opinion. If you're going to make the case that safety is not a big need because of the youth at that position that needs to develop, then the same case should be made for CB and DE as well.

But how has it changed? We haven't resigned anyone, signed anyone, traded for anyone?
    It's changed because the stock of guys like Chad Greenway and DeMeco Ryans, who right after the season I considered great options for our 11th overall pick, has dropped. Greenway is a good option there, but not the best in my opinion. Ryans is now a guy who is looking at a pick in the 20s. Jimmy Williams, who was a top ten pick around the beginning of the year, has fallen into the 10-20 range. Mathias Kiwanuka, originally considered the second best DE in the draft, has lost ground to Tamba Hali and is commonly predicted to be the third DE taken now. Also, perhaps the biggest story is the rise of Jay Cutler, considered a late first early second round pick during the season but now could go as high as third overall to Tennessee! These are all important changes to consider.

Furthermore, we've seen changes in coaching staff across the league which changes the draft board for other teams. The hiring of Mangini in New York may increase the liklihood of the Jets going defense at number four. I wouldn't rule out New York taking Mario Williams to be Mangini's version of Richard Seymour. But then again, we've got news such as the story about Pennington likely being cut after not wanting to take a pay cut, which means the Jets may go QB in the first round.

How can you sit here and defend young players like Atogwe and Carter by saying they need more time to develop, but turn around say we have a need at CB despite drafting a young raw guy in Bartell, whom we spent a higher pick on? One could also make the case that Hargrove needs more time to develop as well, but you list DE as a bigger need. That's entirely contradictory, in my opinion. If you're going to make the case that safety is not a big need because of the youth at that position that needs to develop, then the same case should be made for CB and DE as well.
    That list was not meant to be taken in any order. Just stating that we have bigger needs at those positions. I say DE because Little is aging. We need a guy to back him up and let him rest. I like Brandon Green a lot, but we need at least one other guy. I have defended the CB position non stop. Even in my post, I state that I saw a lot of potential there from guys like Bartell and Groce. The problem at corner is that there isnt a lot of depth. I would look at maybe signing a guy like Charlie Peprah if he isnt drafted because he provides solid support in case of an injury to Butler or Bartell.

I make my list based on the fact that I am almost certain that both Arch and Furrey will be brought back.Now if Arch is not brought back, then Huff becomes a no brainer at the #11 spot.

Now, I mentioned Peprah and a lot of people will probably disagree with me here, but I think he could be a very solid signing. He was a ballhawk at corner before moving to SS his junior year. I personally think that he is a far superior cover CB than he is a SS. He could most likely be signed after the draft or possibly drafted in thee 6th-7th round. I questioned whether he would be a good signing because of his quiet senior year, but after a conversation with DeMeco I think it had to do more with people not testing him, than it had to do with him not making plays.

I make my list based on the fact that I am almost certain that both Arch and Furrey will be brought back.Now if Arch is not brought back, then Huff becomes a no brainer at the #11 spot.
    And I'm of the mind that if Archuleta is brought back, then safety is not as big a need then. But right now he's not under contract, nor do I think he should be brought back, personally. I'm not convinced Archuleta is going to get better than what he was last year simply because of the back injury and how he elected to treat it. But that said, if we bring him back, I hope he surprises me.

I personally think that he is a far superior cover CB than he is a SS.
    I agree with this. He'd be a nice UDFA or late round pick.

Re: Pre-Combine Poll: Should the Rams draft TE Vernon Davis with the 11th overall pic

It's changed because the stock of guys like Chad Greenway and DeMeco Ryans, who right after the season I considered great options for our 11th overall
    Your serious? If you say they dropped than I'd hate to see what Huffs did. Greenway was said to be the most impressive LB at the Senior Bowl during practice and didn't get to see playing time. And if you have a LB as smart as Ryans his stock isn't going to drop like a brick.
    RamsFan16

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast