Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By richtree

Thread: Pre-Draft Buzz WARNING !!!!! WR TALK -- DONT BE A FOLLOWER !!!!

richtree is offline Registered User

Pre-Draft Buzz WARNING !!!!! WR TALK -- DONT BE A FOLLOWER !!!!

Like all rankings online most are driven by ESPN and big conference sportswriters. Year after year we see the gap between NFL prospects from big schools and small schools diminishing.
    Also, every year many people fight over drafting guys in round 1 or 2 that end up not being picked, i.e. Da'Rick Rodgers.

Also, people say I am crazy when I like guys like Dobson more than most, but I feel justified when he goes Round 2..but then again I have missed on a few guys too....

More importantly, what I am saying is don't be easily swayed by these rankings and mock drafts because the scouts will never release there true feelings to anyone doing these "reporting writings" .

So, like every year -- my early Rankings see that the "mocks" have it all wrong already:

WR Rankings

#1 Brandon Coleman -- A legit 6'5" 220lbs of muslce -- the closest thing to Calvin Johnson, coming from a school that hates to throw and uses him as blocker. He will make big catches in the NFL making him a legit WR#1 in the NFL -- If his hands check out in the combine, I suspect him to be a lottery pick.

#2 Jarvis Landry -- I really don't know why this guy is so low on boards. He has some of the best hands in the nation. He has that Hakeem Nicks feel to him and if he passes the normal combine checks, I believe he is clear First Rounder

#3 Allen Robinson -- This kid is Rueben Randle with better moves. I can't tell if he 100% has the NFL speed, but if he runs in the 4.56 or below -- he is top round 1-2 talent

#4 Sammy Watkins -- Is he next Torrey Smith or AJ Jenkins?-- he can move ATC but can he get in and out of breaks quick enough to over-power NFL DBs....Although he is seen as a can't miss Round 1 guy, I really believe he could fall the furthest without a strong pre-draft/combine... Not many teams want the slot guy that isn't strong - TEs taking over, so we will wait and see -- round 1-2 talent with ????marks

# 5 Kasen Williams -- This kid from Washington has the heart to outwork and brains to succeed. I obviously haven't gone through the whole WR class yet, but this kid is my sleeper to rise up the board. I can see him being picked #41 or so and being an instant chain mover for 3rd downs....watching him prove me right (i hope).

# 6 Marques Lee -- This big name is a very good player, but when you compare him to an NFL WR the result = Nate Burleson --- This is not a bad thing. Lee will be a legit complimentary WR in the NFL and will problaby get picked way higher than he should. The problem with Lee is he is a tweener, and a team will have to commit to him to find a role. If he lands in a fast paced offense he could have an impact, but if he lands on a team that plays with strength he may struggle for impact-ful plays -- right now I compare him to a Brandon LaFell, but there is something about him that stands out....He has that star quality, like TY Hilton did....his offseason will make him Round 1 or Round 3 --- He has biggest range could be Round 1 -- maybe a Randall Cobb role ?
    or could be Mardy Gilyard bust.....I think he will end up being a star, but needs to show and prove -- we will watch his late season games this year for more.....

#7 Jordan Matthews -- I really love this kid every game I watch in real time. On tape I don't get the same feeling. He has the story of Qunitton Patton -- a big star, in a smaller school...but he doesn't have NFL body ---potentially --- I think he will make it, and could easily move up the board. I just don't know if he is fast enough, or strong enough.

#8 Mike Evans -- Don't believe in this kid. Matt Jones all over again. He should thank Johnny Football for 90% of his success. I think he won't be a top 80 pick. Lets see if he can change my mind.

Thats a quick look --- I really don't have Mike Evans at #8 but threw him there because a lot of people think he should be ranked high. I would really have him 12 or so, but didn't have time to go through all my guys yet.

This is a quick intro ---- watch out for the combine invites -- that what I usually rate.

thanks

-rt
    Tampa_Ram, sosa39rams and Randart like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Draft Buzz WARNING !!!!! WR TALK -- DONT BE A FOLLOWER !!!!

I feel the same way about Landry. If we didn't have such a logjam of young receivers here, I'd really want us to bring him in.

Mike Evans seems a couple steps slow, but I didn't predict him to be so low on your list! Care to elaborate on why he doesn't make the grade?

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I feel the same way about Landry. If we didn't have such a logjam of young receivers here, I'd really want us to bring him in.

Mike Evans seems a couple steps slow, but I didn't predict him to be so low on your list! Care to elaborate on why he doesn't make the grade?

2 points....our WRs are young but are a problem. None of them are worth keeping as long term starters. Quick can't get over hump and the rest are not starters. Austin is hybrid, so I am not considering him in the aforementioned.

We need to get 2 WRs this year that will be contributors in the running and passing games.
    Britt, Nicks, etc...will be free agents, and guys like Coleman are stars waiting to explode.

The point on Mike Evans is that he will have to be played similar to Kris Durham. He won't get alot of snaps and will have to be used as a TE role....not valuable enough for me.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Good list. Landry does have great hands, but i also like Beckham Jr. as a Mike Wallace type. I'm not saying we draft him, just adding that.

Coleman would be a great addition and at this point, and seems would cost us a 2nd rounder at worst.

My dream Scenario is we get the #1 pick overall, trade it for future 1st rounders(again) and grab DGB next year. lol a guy can dream can't he? DGB has progressed nicely this year.

I still have hope for Quick and will give him a 3rd year at the least, thats just me though, i understand your view on him.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -11-27-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Good list. Landry does have great hands, but i also like Beckham Jr. as a Mike Wallace type. I'm not saying we draft him, just adding that.

Coleman would be a great addition and at this point, and seems would cost us a 2nd rounder at worst.

My dream Scenario is we get the #1 pick overall, trade it for future 1st rounders(again) and grab DGB next year. lol a guy can dream can't he? DGB has progressed nicely this year.

I still have hope for Quick and will give him a 3rd year at the least, thats just me though, i understand your view on him.
    I haven't come to a final conclusion yet on Beckham Jr. -- He is a tough read so far.....I need extra time with him.

DGB looks better, but his off-the-field issues at a young age seem tough right now....I love the kid on Ole Miss Treadwell and he would be a Round 1-2 guy as a freshman.

I really think people get caught up with these mocks and rankings -- that is the real point of me posting this so early. I don't think there is one real scout that would say Coleman is a round 2 or 3 guy -- but since ESPN or big sportswriters don't mock him there until the night before -- its a huge surprise.

Coleman is top 20 pick today.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I haven't come to a final conclusion yet on Beckham Jr. -- He is a tough read so far.....I need extra time with him.

DGB looks better, but his off-the-field issues at a young age seem tough right now....I love the kid on Ole Miss Treadwell and he would be a Round 1-2 guy as a freshman.

I really think people get caught up with these mocks and rankings -- that is the real point of me posting this so early. I don't think there is one real scout that would say Coleman is a round 2 or 3 guy -- but since ESPN or big sportswriters don't mock him there until the night before -- its a huge surprise.

Coleman is top 20 pick today.
    Treadwell is doing really good, he is going to be a high 1st rounder eventually it seems.

I like Coleman, and i agree with him being at the top of your rankings, and i understand the whole espn/sportswriter thing as well. Do you think Coleman will go in the 1st? Above the others such as Evans, Watkins and Lee?

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Treadwell is doing really good, he is going to be a high 1st rounder eventually it seems.

I like Coleman, and i agree with him being at the top of your rankings, and i understand the whole espn/sportswriter thing as well. Do you think Coleman will go in the 1st? Above the others such as Evans, Watkins and Lee?
    I don't think Evans has a shot for a first round pick....Watkins and Coleman seem to be first round locks.....

if Coleman shows good hands in the combine and private workouts he will be top 15 -- watkins has to show he is more than a small Julio Jones....
    Watkins and Coleman and locked in as Round1 picks even today., but Landrys potential is very high..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

I don't think Evans has a shot for a first round pick...
    I'll take that bet.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'll take that bet.
    Deal............

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nice write up!

I'm not as down on Watkins as you are, but I don't think he's on the Green/Jones or even Blackmon level as a prospect. I'd put him in the Floyd range, and wouldn't be shocked if he slips out of the Top 10.

While I'd pump the breaks on the Megatron name dropping, Brandon Coleman does have loads of potential and seems to be stuck in an awful situation when it comes to the passing game. I think Landry is a very effective weapon, but has LSU produced a legit top receiver since Dwayne Bowe? Robinson is very intriguing, and I had him sneaking into the first in my last mock.

I think the question now is whether or not the Rams are going to pull the trigger on drafting another wide receiver, possibly in the first round. I believe they would benefit from a true #1 caliber receiver on their roster, but after taking two receivers in last year's draft, will they shy away from the position this year?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Brandon Coleman looks damn good. I checked him out and he has the ability to be special. 6'6 and 220 lbs, but he carries it very well - very Calvin Johnson esque. His stats aren't great but it's definitely not his fault. He's a good blocker and has terrific hands, not to mention he is crisp in his route running. I'd absolutely love it if we drafted him.

THE DREAM TEAM