RockinRam is offline Registered User

Pre-Draft Thoughts/Predictions

A discussion for everyone's pre-draft thoughts and predictions.

Here are mine.

1. Thought: If I were the Colts, I would take a long hard look at RGIII. He basically has the same throwing tools and talent as Luck, and has much better athleticism.

I have never seen anyone throw a more effortless accurate deep ball than Griffin. If we did not have Bradford, I would love to have Griffin. He is someone that can come in and make your offense very dangerous.

The comparison to Michael Vick does not do him justice. Griffin is an amazing passer unlike Vick, and Griffin will throw first and run second unlike Vick.

2. Prediction: Tannehill will not go as high as some might think. In a normal draft, he will probably go in Round 3. Saying Cleveland might pick him at #4 is absurd. He is no better than Colt McCoy at this point. Hell, McCoy is probably better right now.

I love Tannehill and I have followed his career very closely. He has very underrated athleticism (he used to be a WR), and has good developmental QB skills, but he is just not ready to be a NFL QB. It's going to take a lot of time for him to develop, if ever does.

3. Thought: Juron Criner, Marvin McNutt, and Marvin Jones are the sleeper receivers in this draft. They all have great size and did well at the combine and/or Senior Bowl, yet are not getting any attention.

4: Thought: Brock Osweiler is more of a Joe Flacco than a Ryan Mallet/Collin Kapernick. He is listed as 6'7. He has incredible size, and possesses a huge arm. He throws rockets. He has good but not great accuracy. His potential is off the charts, and if he can improve on his reads and going through his progressions, he can develop into a very good NFL QB.

5: Thought: There are three Zoltan Meskos this year. Bryan Anger (6'4) from Cali, Shaun Powel (6'4) of Florida State, and Kyle Martens (6'6) from Rice. If we do not keep Donnie Jones, we need to grab one of these big punters.

6: Prediction: In the end, Jonathan Martin will be drafted before Riley Reiff.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Pre-Draft Thoughts/Predictions

1. I'd take a long look at RG3 as well... and then I'd still draft Luck, because IMO, he's the superior pro prospect.

2. Yeah, I'm not quite buying the fourth overall hype for him, but depending on how the free agent signings work out, I think he goes Top 12. If Gabbert and Ponder can...

3. There's definitely some solid mid round options at receiver this year. Double-dipping with Blackmon and another prospect would be a wise strategy.

4. He's an intriguing mid-round prospect. I'd be wary of overdrafting him if I was in need of a QB. Some teams may actually view that size as a negative.

5. The Rams have been rather quiet on the punter front. You may be right; they could be looking at getting a young one from this draft class.

6. I actually prefer Martin to Reiff, so I wouldn't be surprised by that. But it seems as if Reiff's stock is higher. We'll have to wait and see.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Could Ryan Tannehill be a top-5 draft pick?

By Ryan Wilson

In the weeks leading up to the 2011 NFL Draft, the pool of possible first-round quarterbacks -- which already included Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert -- grew to include names like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder. Incidentally, Andy Dalton, the second-best rookie quarterback, wasn't taken until Round 2.

But the draft is more art than science and for teams desperate for a franchise QB, waiting around isn't an option. Which is why it could happen again this year. The Redskins sent the Rams three first-rounders, a second-rounder and additional considerations for the right to take Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 pick in April. And the Colts, Suck for Luck champions, will replace Peyton Manning with Andrew Luck when they draft him first overall.

Which brings us to Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Thought to be a possible late first-round pick heading into the combine, the scuttlebutt is that he could now go much earlier, perhaps has high as fourth overall. Here's Sports Illustrated's Peter King on Thursday:

Peter King

@SI_PeterKing

Miami may not get OC Mike Sherman's college QB, Tannehill, staying at 8. How incredible that you might have to trade into top 4 to get him.
    15 Mar 12

Retweet
    Favorite

Peter King

@SI_PeterKing

I said "may'' about Tannehill, because you never know what Cleveland's going to do at 4, and don't know exactly how they feel about Colt.
    15 Mar 12

Retweet
    Favorite

The Browns currently hold the No. 4 pick and they were trying to trade for RG3 before the Redskins pulled off the deal. (FYI: CBSSports.com's six draft experts have Tannehill going to one of three teams: eighth to Miami, 12th to Seattle, or 22nd to Cleveland.)

According to the Florida Times-Union's Tania Ganugli, Jaguars general manager Gene Smith would gladly entertain offers for their seventh-overall selection. "I know there's a lot of interest in Tannehill," he said.

(When we first read Ganugli's tweet, we interpreted it as Smith saying that he'd be willing to give up a seventh-rounder in reference to Tim Tebow, who seems destined for Jacksonville if the Broncos land Peyton Manning. At least if owner Shahid Khan has anything to do with it; Smith apparently has no interest in Tebow as evidenced by the recent Chad Henne signing.)

The draft is in six weeks. Will Smith get an opportunity to listen to offers? Almost certainly. The demand for franchise quarterbacks still outstrips supply, especially for teams that convince themselves that a certain player will solve all their problems (like, say, Blaine Gabbert).
    You never know not saying it's going to but stranger things have happened.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If I was a team that was in need of a QB this year, I would hold off on drafting a "higher tier" one, and instead draft weapons and building blocks.

Then next season, grab either Matt Barkely or Landry Jones because they are much better than Tannehill IMO, and with the building blocks already in place, their transition should be much more smooth.