Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pre Draft Visits and Workouts

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: Pre Draft Visits and Workouts

Av, I added Mitchell Schwartz, and Greg Zuerlein because the Rams had scouts watching private workouts. I added Chris Givens and Kendall Wright because I read somewhere that the Rams are going to bring them in (I think Wagoner). Apparently Worthy doesn't have a workout/visit according to JT. He didn't include the later round prospects. That's all the prospects I think.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Av, I added Mitchell Schwartz, and Greg Zuerlein because the Rams had scouts watching private workouts. I added Chris Givens and Kendall Wright because I read somewhere that the Rams are going to bring them in (I think Wagoner). Apparently Worthy doesn't have a workout/visit according to JT. He didn't include the later round prospects. That's all the prospects I think.
    Seems like there are always a few players that the beat writers are not sure about. I hope Givens is on the list, as I think he could be a good value pick if he lasts until Round 3.

Updated with Matt Kalil, Sean Spence, and Dre Kirpatrick
    Last edited by codeman123; -04-11-2012 at 02:46 PM.

thoey is offline Registered User

Do we ever hear any information out of these visits?
    This space for rent...

Updated with my personal favorite second day receiver in AJ Jenkins, speedy LaMichael James, and receiver Brian Quick. Rams are pretty serious about finding receivers, which is very nice to see.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

There is amazing RB and DT talent in Round 2. Such a deep draft. In round 2, we MUST get David Wilson, Lamar Miller, or Doug Martin. All 3 will have nice NFL careers. And at DT, we will have many choices. Brandon Thompson, Jerel Worthy, Kendall Reyes, Devon Still.

THE DREAM TEAM

Dontari Poe and center Ben Jones.

I assume the Rams are looking at Jones to play guard.
    Poe might slip into round two since he's sliding down boards right now. Interesting to look at.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Poe might slip into round two since he's sliding down boards right now.
    I've yet to see that reported anywhere, but even if it was, it's pretty unlikely that teams (1) are making drastic adjustments to their draft boards less than two weeks before the draft itself and/or (2) are letting anything about their draft boards be known to anyone outside the organization.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've yet to see that reported anywhere, but even if it was, it's pretty unlikely that teams (1) are making drastic adjustments to their draft boards less than two weeks before the draft itself and/or (2) are letting anything about their draft boards be known to anyone outside the organization.
    There is stuff like this all over -
    'One NFL personnel executive told the Trenton Times that Memphis NT Dontari Poe is sure to be "overdrafted" based on size and athleticism, but "didn't do anything" in games.
    "He did all of that at the Combine, so some team will take him way higher than he should go," said the club exec. "I mean watch him play, just watch. He didn’t do anything. And he wasn’t playing at a very high level (Conference USA), either." Poe's tape isn't as good as his projected draft status, but NFL coaches will be enamored with his upside. He still projects as a top-15 pick.'

If I had to guess I would probably say Poe would go in the top 20. He was being projected in the top 10 right after the combine, and since then he's been sliding because no one is impressed with his game tape. The Rams might be looking at him in case he slides to see if they want to trade up into the 20s. Or they may be looking at him in case they trade down into the teens. Who knows.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There is stuff like this all over
    The Rotoworld tidbit you posted actually says the opposite of what you're claiming, not that Poe could slip as far to round two, but that he'll be overdrafted based on measurables that don't match his game tape. Some refer to it as the planet theory - there are only so many guys on the planet that are his size and are capable of doing what he can do, and you should take one when they come around.

But let me phrase it as a question - what is happening a week and a half before the draft that's causing teams to drop a guy from a Top 15-20 prospect into the second round? The Senior Bowl is over, the Combine is over, pro days are over, film study for any competent organization should be over, and boards should be stacked. If you're making major adjustments to your draft board at this point in the process, adjustments that are drastic enough to send guys skyrocketing into different rounds, then you've done something wrong.

I agree that Poe's stock may have come back to Earth in the weeks after the Combine as people spent more time watching his game tape. But if Poe slipped for that reason, it's already happened and probably happened a while ago. Teams aren't just now figuring out that he played inconsistently in a weak conference; heck, some of us fans were saying that during and immediately after his Combine numbers were made public. And we're just fans sitting at home.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Linebackers Bobby Wagner and James Michael Johnson, and guard Amini Silatolu visiting.

Running backs Lamar Miller and Ronnie Hillman visited.
    That seems to be it on the visits.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I've heard WR Brian Quick is going to be a good plyaer just as long as he has someone help him run those routes from a couple of sources.... if this is true I'd like for us to take a hard look at him!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12