Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Prediction: Clowney Goes #1

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Prediction: Clowney Goes #1

Moreso with Lovie Smith , Texan and defensive guy, possibly going home to coach the Texans.

They passed on Reggie Bush for Mario Williams, and Lovie will see what the pairing of Watt and Clowney can do for winning games in that division.

That means the best QB drops to the Rams spot, and teams looking to jump over jacksonville for Bridgewater or Manziel.

I think Jeff Fisher won't deal down too far to get Jake Matthews who should and I feel will be their pick. Just fits in every way, and would give the Rams great OT for the next decade.

Look at the list of great Rams teams, and the high draft picks they made sure to spend on O-linemen Carollo, Mack, Harrah & France (Both in one draft rd1) Slater, Hill, Pankey, Pace.

Theybrought in others like Timmerman and Bob Brown when necessary .

People will be talking about Houston taking Manziel, but I bet they go Clowney.

And Jake Matthews will be a Rams at some point.

And fans will be very glad he is for a long time.

Barry Waller

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Prediction: Clowney Goes #1

If this was to happen you'd think that the 2nd pick would have some serious value. That being said if the Rams had to move back to far down to get Jake Matthews but land one of the elite Tackles and a bounty of picks, I'd think they would do it.

The Rams have I think one of the best O line coaches in the game in Paul Boudreau. We saw him take two Tackles off the scrap heap last year and get some pretty good play out of them. He took Williams who was a bust in Chicago and turned him into a starter here. He worked with Joe Barksdale a 3rd Rd pick that was cut by the Raiders and he turns him into a starter. There is no denying our O line is playing some good ball with Paul Boudreau at the helm.

If the Rams moved back and where able to still land someone like, Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama, Cameron Erving, Florida State, Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M. I'm sure Boudreau could get them playing at a high level.

Not sure if Jake is so good that we would pass on a possible first round pick or a second to stay at 5 to take Jake.

I bet Fisher has a good feel for Greg Robinson out of Auburn since his son plays there and he has gone to his games.
    THOLTFAN81 and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I agree with Rambos, the only factor giving me reason to think Jeff wants Jake is the family name and the great performers in football coming from that family. You are right about Greg Robinson from Auburn. Jeff gets good insight from his son on those players.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Texans going Clowney first overall is certainly a possibility, but it begs the question, what is their plan for the quarterback position? I don't think they're keeping Schaub and Keenum surely hasn't shown enough to make the organization feel comfortable with him moving forward. Are they signing someone else in free agency, drafting someone on Day Two, or hoping someone falls on Day One so they can trade up and grab him?

A combination of Cutler or McCown and a Day Two quarterback to groom might not be too bad, but it's all going to depend on the evaluation of Clowney. I can't imagine organizations are going to be crazy about spending a high pick on a guy with motivation and work ethic issues, if those turn out to be true. We can talk talent until we're blue in the face, but teams - at least good ones - aren't going to ignore the intangibles.
    HUbison likes this.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Being in Houston, maybe the Texans are thinking they could get local kid Manziel in the 2nd round.
    I'm doubtful the Texans take a DE considering they have the best DE in the AFC already on their roster.

I'm confident the Texans will be looking to trade down.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I don't see what the Texans taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush has to do with this draft considering the people making the decisions in in the organization in 2006 are no longer there. A franchise QB is also way more valuable to a team than a great RB and teams are much more aware of this now than they were in 2006 as evidenced by the disparity in first round RB's being drafted as of late. We all know QB is by far the most important position on the field and no team will turn down the opportunity to get a Franchise QB because a great pass rusher is available if they are smart.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Texans have also reportedly interviewed current DC Wade Phillips as well as Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien. Chargers OC Ken Whisenhunt is supposedly a favorite of GM Rick Smith and will be interviewed as well.

If the Texans end up going with O'Brien or Whisenhunt, it makes you wonder if they'll want "their guy" at quarterback and opt to take one first overall.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Being in Houston, maybe the Texans are thinking they could get local kid Manziel in the 2nd round.
    I'm doubtful the Texans take a DE considering they have the best DE in the AFC already on their roster.

I'm confident the Texans will be looking to trade down.
    But they only have one DE that's any good. A player opposite of Watt makes him so much better and when it's a talent like Clowney that'd be a a nasty 3-4.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Either way the Rams have it made. If Houston selects Clowney, teams will be fighting each other to trade up with the Rams to select Bridgewater, and the same if the Texans select Bridgewater first.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I think this draft will play out like the 2010 draft did for the Rams. The defensive line talent might be a better prospect but you just can't win without a solid QB.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I think your wrong but who cares we cant lose!!!!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I hope Clowney goes 1st, teams tend to offer more in draft day trades for franchise QB's than they do for other positions.