AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which Prospects Have The Most To Gain/Lose By Succeeding/Failing In Each Combine Test

There is a great deal of debate as to the value of each of the main tests at the combine. That said, for certain players, certain tests are key.

Here's a list of the players I see as having the most to gain or lose by succeeding or failing in each of main Combine tests:

Height Measurement: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    Rudolph is the consensus top TE in the draft, but his height is listed at only 6'5, which is about the minimum acceptable height for an elite TE. If this ends up being inaccurate, and he is under 6'4, he could drop.

Weight Measurement: Rodney Hudson, OG, FSU
    Talent-wise he's a top prospect, but his reported weight (286) suggests that he's a zone blocking guard ONLY. He can't afford to come in at a lower weight, and if he's added 10-15 lbs, he'll have to show he still can move well.

40 Time: Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
    Hankerson made a great showing at the Senior Bowl, but is still perceived as a "possession receiver" type. If he can run in the 4.5 range, he might be viewed as a more complete WR who is worth taking in Round 1. If he's a 4.6 or slower, he could drop to Round 3.

Bench Press: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    Fairley is a Top 5 pick on most draft boards. The one way I could see him dropping at the Combine is if his bench press performance results in a "weak upper body" label. On the other hand, if he shows that he is among the stronger players at his position, he could be in the running for first overall.

Wonderlic: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    Though entirely unfair, African-American QBs still experience heightened crutiny when it comes to the Wonderlic. While nobody is going to wonder if Ryan Mallett (reportedly a complete dunderhead) is "smart enough" for the position, there will be whispers about Newton and whether he's "like Vince Young, and not in a good way."

Interviews: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    I suspect Baldwin will be impressive in the drills, particularly given his size. His problem will be "foot in mouth disease." He needs to dispel the notion that he's a "me-first" future diva, as teams are starting to shy away from that type of WR.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Which Prospects Have The Most To Gain/Lose By Succeeding/Failing In Each Combine

MY LIST:

Height Measurement: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland -- If he really measures 6'1" or above he will be a solid WR in the NFL and teams will take him in the first round and not just view him as the fly pattern guy.

Weight Measurement: Will Rackley, OG, Lehigh -- If he shows he is in shape he could be a small school guy starting at G or T for an NFL team next season. It is simple

40 Time: Greg Little, WR, UNC -- second-highest grade of any senior receiver by National Football Scouting entering the 2010 season. That's a fact, but he has missed alot of time. Very strong and physical he needs to show he can still fly. Percy Harvin type with toughness.

Bench Press: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri -- Could be best DE in the draft but some wonder if his frame he strong enough to be able to attack NFL Oline's for 16 weeks (or 18weeks).

Wonderlic: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas -- Could be digging a feeling of dumb guy into NFL GM's... Wonderlic could help him stay as an option for early Round 2 teams or could prove he isn't worth it and drop out of top 70 picks

Interviews: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri-- With Cam Newton becoming the Top 5 pick and clear QB choice along with Gabbert's new injury concerns, he could slip to Round 2 or 3 ...or further. He must prove that everything is fine for a GM to take him and not worry about him not throwing at the combine.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Prospects Have The Most To Gain/Lose By Succeeding/Failing In Each Combine

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Height Measurement: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    Rudolph is the consensus top TE in the draft, but his height is listed at only 6'5, which is about the minimum acceptable height for an elite TE. If this ends up being inaccurate, and he is under 6'4, he could drop.
    Scott Wright is reporting that he's was measured at 6' 6 1/2" at the Combine. I can't recall such a large discrepancy in a player's favor!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Antonio Gates, Dallas Clark, and Vernon Davis would all disagree about the 6'5" minimum height for a top tight end, but I digress.

Here's my take on the topc and a list of prospects I think fit the categories...

Height Measurement: Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State
    -Rodgers is one of the pint-sized running backs that could sneak into the 2nd or 3rd round if he can measure up, but if I'm reading Draft Countdown's coverage correctly, it looks like he only came in at 5'5". Yikes!

Weight Measurement: Noel Devine, RB, WVU
    -A recent article said that Devine is back in the 170-range after weighing in a mere 160 pounds at the Senior Bowl. If Noel can get his weight back up, he could stop a Senior Bowl free fall that had him as a Day Three prospect at best.

40 Time: Titus Young, WR, Boise State
    -Few receivers at the Senior Bowl impressed as much as Young, who drew DeSean Jackson comparisons from Mike Mayock every time he was brought up. But I question whether Young has the kind of deep speed that Jackson has. If Young can run a sub 4.4 forty time, he could work his way into the first round. But judging from his inability at times during Senior Bowl practices to separate from safeties in man coverage, I'm not convinced he's got it in him.

Bench Press: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    -Av brought up some good points about Fairley's strength, but I think the bench press might be more important for another reason. As a prospect whom some believe has a questionable work ethic, a high bench press number will help Fairley demonstrate that he has the endurance of a prospect who has spent time in the weight room. A poor number might suggest he's been slacking, further complicating how scouts view his intangibles.

Wonderlic: Will Hill, FS, Florida
    -Richtree's favorite prospect makes an appearance on my list. Hill was suspended for academic reasons during his time at Florida, and drew attention for a number of profain postings on his Twitter account. A solid Wonderlic score may demonstrate to scouts that his former problems are in the past and he's dedicated to his pro career.

Interviews: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    -Mallett has a lot of rumors he's going to have to put out in his 15-minute interviews. If things go well, he could solidify a spot in the first round. If things don't go well, he may need to brace himself for a Clausen-esque freefall.