Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Q&A with the Clan's Resident DraftNick

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Speaking of TE's, what about a smaller TE like Tulsa's Garrett Mills to move to the slot or H-back spot?

And, why is Notre Dame's Anthony Fassano not getting more press? He seems like a quality TE.
    Well, at 6'1" and 230 lbs, you're right in that Mills would be better suited for that H-back role. He'd have to find the right kind of offense to do it with, and I think the Rams are looking for more size at the position. Obviously you'd have to wonder how well he's going to hold up as a blocker, but he has excellent tools as a receiver, and would be a solid option coming out of the backfield either in the flat or in motion to the slot.

Fasano's probably in the second tier of tight ends in this draft. He's a solid all-around prospect who probably ranks in the mid to late first day of the draft at this point. Not quite on the same level as guys like Davis or Lewis, but he'll compete with Klopfenstein, Day, and Byrd to be the next TE taken after the top three, I think.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nick if the Iowa Hawkeyes Senior CB Jovon Johnson is availible in the later rounds should we take him? He has I believe 17 career interceptions? He is a little undersized at 5'10" but he is a good coverage safety and has great speed..
    RamsFan16

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Where do you believe that Alabama's SS Roman Harper will be selected, and do you believe that if he falls far enough that the Rams might take a shot at him?
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Nick if the Iowa Hawkeyes Senior CB Jovon Johnson is availible in the later rounds should we take him? He has I believe 17 career interceptions? He is a little undersized at 5'10" but he is a good coverage safety and has great speed..
    I think calling him 5'10" is a bit generous. I've seen him listed as low as 5'8". He has great hands and he's a very explosive player, but he's more explosive than fast. Obviously he plays the ball well because of the number of takeaways he has, but probably has limited upside at the next level and isn't someone I'd like to see matched up one on one with a receiver. He's probably the kind of guy that Tampa Bay could get something out of as a zone defender, but I wouldn't expect him to be anything more than a nickel or dime back. I'd rather wait and see if we could bring him in as an undrafted free agent than spend a pick on him.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Where do you believe that Alabama's SS Roman Harper will be selected, and do you believe that if he falls far enough that the Rams might take a shot at him?
    I could see Roman Harper going late day one or early on the second day. Round three or four maybe. It depends on which underclassmen safeties come out this year. If guys like Ko Simpson, LaRon Landry, Darnell Bing all come out, then that's going to push a guy like Harper down. But if some of those guys decide to stay, Harper's stock might rise just from supply and demand alone. But right now, assuming Landry and Bing come out, I see him as a Round 3-4 guy.

Do the Rams take him? I kind of doubt it. The Rams have OJ Atogwe and Jerome Carter as developmental safeties, so I don't think they pick up another young guy unless we're talking about a first round talent. Furrey's played well, and if they lose Arch, they'd probably rather bring in a vet than add more inexperienced youth. I would assume the Rams try to address the safety position in free agency, and even if they can't bring a big name in, I don't think they spend another mid round pick on a young guy.

What about U of Miami's Devin Hester if he went pro would you take him for a KR man?
    RamsFan16

What do you think about Alabama's Freddie Raoch. He's a guy that I would really like to see selected. He's been injured this season because of an arm injruy, but played nearly every game and was the main force in the run defense. Where do you see him selected and do you think he is a late round guy that the Rams might take a look at?

What about U of Miami's Devin Hester if he went pro would you take him for a KR man?
    Probably not unless he was available somewhere on the second day. Hester's not sure if he's coming out, last I heard, and even if he did, he doesn't have a true position. He's been moved all around at Miami, so you're going to get more of a project than a guy who might be a little less athletic but has been playing at his position for 3-4 years. There's no questioning Hester's athleticism, but you don't take him if you want a guy who you think can make an impact now. Furthermore, are you going to keep an active roster spot open for a rookie just to return kicks? I'm not so sure.

What do you think about Alabama's Freddie Raoch. He's a guy that I would really like to see selected. He's been injured this season because of an arm injruy, but played nearly every game and was the main force in the run defense. Where do you see him selected and do you think he is a late round guy that the Rams might take a look at?
    Roach is probably a late day one pick, and I like him. He has pretty good size, and could potentially play either inside or outside at the next level. Very good instincts, very good hitter. Not sure about his coverage skills and his speed leaves a little to be desired, but he's not going to get pushed around, and as you pointed out, has tremendous character and toughness in terms of playing through injury.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Roach is probably a late day one pick, and I like him. He has pretty good size, and could potentially play either inside or outside at the next level. Very good instincts, very good hitter. Not sure about his coverage skills and his speed leaves a little to be desired, but he's not going to get pushed around, and as you pointed out, has tremendous character and toughness in terms of playing through injury.
    Sound like he's the type of player this team needs. I'll take toughness over speed any day.:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

you stated before that you would not like to see more youth added to an already young secondary. In terms of the FS Roman Harper. Yet man want to see Jimmy Williams as our first selection. Can this pick rerally be justified when we already have one of the youngest secondaries in the league?

you stated before that you would not like to see more youth added to an already young secondary. In terms of the FS Roman Harper. Yet man want to see Jimmy Williams as our first selection. Can this pick rerally be justified when we already have one of the youngest secondaries in the league?
    It can since Williams has the ability to start right away for numerous secondaries in the league. He could start right away for us at FS if not beat out Bartell and Fisher at CB as well. There's a difference between taking a late day one early day two player who is going to need time to develop into a starter and taking a guy high in the first round who can make an immediate impact.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So Nick, do you think Manny Lawson can bulk up and make it as a 4-3 DE or transition to a 4-3 OLB.......or is he destined to be another 3-4 OLB pass rusher?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    So Nick, do you think Manny Lawson can bulk up and make it as a 4-3 DE or transition to a 4-3 OLB.......or is he destined to be another 3-4 OLB pass rusher?
    I'd say he'd make a better fit at 4-3 LB than he would at DE, but would be a better 3-4 OLB than either. He'd really have to put on some weight and add some strength to line up as an end on that line without getting blown away by bigger linemen.

I don't know if you saw much of him but in a few years do you think that Iowa HB Albert Young will make a first day picK?
    RamsFan16

I must ask about another player. Brodie Coryle, the QB of the Alabama Crimson Tide. Where do you see him being selected? And do you see the Rams considering drafting him to add depth with a young gun slinger? I dont see the Rams drafting him, but I think that he could be a very good NFL QB.

I don't know if you saw much of him but in a few years do you think that Iowa HB Albert Young will make a first day picK?
    Well, he's a sophomore, so he's not elligible to even declare unless he's been out of high school for three years.

I must ask about another player. Brodie Coryle, the QB of the Alabama Crimson Tide. Where do you see him being selected? And do you see the Rams considering drafting him to add depth with a young gun slinger? I dont see the Rams drafting him, but I think that he could be a very good NFL QB.
    In this offense, he wouldn't last a week. Croyle has a powerful arm but has some big injury concerns. Probably a second day pick, maybe fourth or fifth round at this point. It'll all depend if a team will want to take a risk on him despite health concerns. With Fitzpatrick waiting in the wings, I don't see the Rams drafting a QB.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast