Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    serkicker32 is offline Registered User

Re: Q&A with the Clan's Resident DraftNick

and also Pat Watkins of FSU he has done an awesome job on special teams and he has a huge frame for a free safety

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    He moved up my draft board that's for sure. He very well could be the top MLB in the draft.
    Yes, he could be. I think with just this bowl performance, he might have moved from late first round/early second round to a clear first round caliber linebacker. My only hope is that because of the other linebackers ahead of him, he slips into the second. If we were still discussing Av's Denver trade scenario, I would have no problem taking Hodge in the last first after this game. He was very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    how about bobby carpenter he may drop a little because of his leg but he is very good blitzing and he could help against the new age of quarterback(fast) carpenter hawk and schlegel shut down vince young in the second half of their match up.and what about schlegel? i dont think ryans would be a good addition because he isnt much of a run stopping LB from what i have heard(i have never seen him play)
    If Carpenter can show he's fully recovered from his injury, then he's probably a second round linebacker in this class. Maybe he sneaks into the first with a good workout. Schlegel is probably an early to mid Day Two guy at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    and also Pat Watkins of FSU he has done an awesome job on special teams and he has a huge frame for a free safety
    Watkins is a good player, but I still don't think the Rams add a safety unless it's someone in the first round with much better upside and talent. We have two young developmental guys from the mid rounds from last year, so adding more wouldn't make sense. But adding a playmaking top safety like Williams, Huff, Landry is feasible.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    and since im a big ten guy how about Posluzny he is undecided and i am watching the orange bowl thinking if they win he will come out(they will win)
    I don't think he comes out. He'll be the top linebacker in the 2007 class, whereas if he came out this year, he's probably 3-4 at best. Not only that, but he just got carted off the field at the Orange Bowl.

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

hey nick what do you think of the texas TE david thomas. he reminds me of a todd heap type of player. he also wouldn't require a first round pick.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Hey Nick what do you think of Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green. Would he be worth taking a look at?
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    hey nick what do you think of the texas TE david thomas. he reminds me of a todd heap type of player. he also wouldn't require a first round pick.
    Pretty good receiver who runs good routes, but size and speed limitations might hinder what he can do at the next level. His play in the Rose Bowl might cause him to squeek onto the first day, because he was a very impressive target for Vince Young. He made a really nice grab after slipping on his route that I thought was quite good. Kind of reminds me of Chris Cooley in that he's probably more of an H-back than a true tight end. If he's there early on the second day, he'd be a good option for us to take, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Hey Nick what do you think of Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green. Would he be worth taking a look at?
    Jacobs is Day One quarterback who could be selected in the second round if not the late first if he really nails his workouts and silences any questions about his shoulder injury. He's got somewhat of an odd release, but is good throwing on the run and has fairly good accuracy. That said, we have much bigger needs on Day One than a QB.

Alright and what about Marcus Vick? I know he has some characteristic issues but he is one heck of an athlete.
    RamsFan16

Vick? Um, no thanks.

Nick what about these guys: Brad Smith QB Mizzou, DJ Shockley QB Georgia, Maurice Drew RB UCLA and Laurance Maurney or w/e RB from Minnesota I think it is.
    RamsFan16

Brad Smith QB Mizzou
    Will probably have to pull a Randle El and change to WR in the pros. Good natural athlete but is a late round prospect at this point if not undrafted.

DJ Shockley QB Georgia
    Drawing some favorable comparisons to David Garrard of the Jaguars, but I think he'll be lucky to get selected on the first day. Might sneek into the third round with solid workout performances. He's a bit raw, having only started a year in college, and at 6'1", he doesn't have ideal height for a QB.

Maurice Drew RB UCLA
    Really like Drew as a change of pace 'back or a return man. He'd be a nice guy to grab as a replacement for Marshall Faulk in our backfield, taking some touches away from Jackson when a speedier more elusive back is needed. Drew is probably looking at a third round selection, but could move up into the second with good workouts. So with that projection, I wouldn't go after him, simply because we have other needs that have to be addressed with early picks. If he fell into the fourth for some reason, I'd take him then.

Laurance Maurney
    Probably the fourth running back behind Bush, Williams, and White, should White come out. Maroney had a mid-first round grade for a while, but now I'm hearing rumblings that he may drop into the late first if not early second. Hard to tell what the story is on him. I'd look for him to go in the mid first, maybe somewhere in the 20s, because he's a good big play threat and has had a good college career, but he's playing in a system that treats RBs pretty well, and there are some questions about his size and ability catching the ball.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Interesting thoughts about the RBs. I'd like to see the Rams find a better third string RB, depending upon what kind of system the new guy runs. But not at a high draft pick unless someone absoutely phenomenal falls.

Off hand Nick, what have you heard about Nick Reid and/or Charles Gordon in general terms? They've both been productive college players, but don't have the kind of eye popping measurables the pros love. Still, a guy like Reid would be a pretty good back up and a great special teams guy. Gordon -- if he times well -- could be a productive short corner.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Will probably have to pull a Randle El and change to WR in the pros. Good natural athlete but is a late round prospect at this point if not undrafted.
    Word out of Columbia is that Smith will be looking to move to FS.........and no, this isn't a Crouch/Bellisari joke.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

hey nick what do you think of ko simpson, the db from south carolina. i haven't seen him play much but read good reports about him.

Yo Nick what do you think about Ernie Sims FSU LB that delcared for the draft today?
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy
    Off hand Nick, what have you heard about Nick Reid and/or Charles Gordon in general terms? They've both been productive college players, but don't have the kind of eye popping measurables the pros love. Still, a guy like Reid would be a pretty good back up and a great special teams guy. Gordon -- if he times well -- could be a productive short corner.
    Haven't heard a whole lot of buzz about Nick Reid. I view him as a late Day Two guy at best right now, but he could improve his stock with a solid effort at the Combine. Like you said, he doesn't have eye popping measurables but he's been productive and is a playmaker. The concern is how well that translates to the pro game. I'd like to see what kind of speed he shows in workouts.

Charles Gordon is an interesting prospect. I think he would have been better served returning for another year and concentrating strictly on the cornerback position. He's a bit like Devin Hester in that respect, only not as physically talented. Whereas Hester will probably be drafted late round two or early round three on ability alone, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gordon drop into the second day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    hey nick what do you think of ko simpson, the db from south carolina. i haven't seen him play much but read good reports about him.
    Ko Simpson will have to do well in workouts to really lock himself in as a first round pick. I see him behind LaRon Landry in terms of safety prospects this season. Simpson has had a very good two years of college, but that said, it's only been two years. Still, he's effective in both coverage and run support, and has good upside for the next level. I see him as a late first round pick, maybe to a team like San Diego or Denver.

Yo Nick what do you think about Ernie Sims FSU LB that delcared for the draft today?
    Sims is undersized, but will be effective in the right defensive scheme. He's a guy I think Tony Dungy could really develop into a good player. He has some off the field concerns, but is a smart player with good speed who plays bigger than he really is. Pretty good technique. Could be a late first round pick, but may slip into the early second round.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast