Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Q&A with the Clan's Resident DraftNick

I'm pretty sure Gordon declared because he wasn't going to be playing CB full time for the Jayhawks. Plus, the KU team is going to take a step back next year because they lost a ton of starting LBs and a pair of good DLs. Another case of leaving when your stock is high.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Nick, I've spent the past few days breaking down Michael Huff and I have to say that I'm impressed. His game is almost flawless. I would love to see him in Blue and Gold. That being said, I also broke down the following players...

Freddie Roach-I love this guy as a late first day pick or an early second day selection. He is a pure beast in run support and decent in coverage. His speed isnt great, but he is a smart player that fills running lanes and is great as a stunt blitzer.

Roman Harper-A hard hitting FS. He's good in coverage, but is actually better coming up in run support. He's a ballhawk that finds his way to the ball as fast as anybody on the field. It does seem like he does try to hard to make a play occasionaly. I see him as an early to mid 3rd round pick based on what he does at the Combine.

Leonard Pope-I now believe that he is the best TE in the draft. He is amazing in run blocking and pass blocking. He uses his body well in traffic to seal off defenders when he catches the football. He's tough enough to get that extra yard and he has great hands. From what I've seen, he's the most balanced TE coming out.

Abdul Hodge-Wow. I was in shock when I watched him. He is amazing. He always finds his way to the football and somehow finds a way to lay a hit on the ball carrier. He needs to improve his coverage skill a little bit, but he's solid there as well. He's great at filling running lanes and sniffing out fakes. He did seem to get out of position on a few play actions, but he was able to recover quickly. I really like what I saw from him. He's a guy that I would really expect to see in the SEC.

All that being said. My round one selection would have to be...

Michael Huff. Although I do believe that he would struggle early, I think that he would be able to turn it around at the end of the season and be a dominant safety for years to come.

Next would still be DeMeco Ryans. He's great in every area. He has the speed to rush the QB and drop back in coverage, but he also has the strength to disrupt the running game. Any team that gets him is going to have one of the top LBs in the league for years to come.

If we trade down. Abdul Hodge. I think he will be a steal late in the draft and could really cause some damage at the MLB position. I really like his toughness and how quick he is to recover if he gets out of position.

If we are unable to get either Hogde or Huff than I would take hard looks at Harper and Roach. They have the talent to be stars in this league, and guys that I believe could be starters from day one. Also, if we were able to get both Ryans and Roach in this draft, we would have two guys that have played together for four years. They have even split time at OLB together. They work well together in traffic and would improve our defense into one of the better run defenses in the league. If we could somehow sneak out of the draft with the following three players"DeMeco Ryans, Leonard Pope, and Freddie Roach" I think you could go ahead and put the rams down as an early season favorite in the NFC West. That's just my opinion though.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nice job RJ39. I like your work!
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Very good stuff, indeed. The great thing about this is that the stock of players now could drastically change once the workouts and the Combine come around. Whereas I see Michael Huff as the better value at 11th overall for us, that could change if he runs poorly. Or maybe Ryans or Greenway have such outstanding workouts that they rise up the board. Who knows how things will play out, but I think you've outlined both some first round options and some later Day One options that I certainly plan to have an eye out for.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Very good stuff, indeed. The great thing about this is that the stock of players now could drastically change once the workouts and the Combine come around. Whereas I see Michael Huff as the better value at 11th overall for us, that could change if he runs poorly. Or maybe Ryans or Greenway have such outstanding workouts that they rise up the board. Who knows how things will play out, but I think you've outlined both some first round options and some later Day One options that I certainly plan to have an eye out for.
    Thanks. I went and watched a few games on each player. The guys who impressed me most are Hodge and Roach. Roach was quietly a great LB and Hodge dominated the middle. The thing that I questioned about Roach is his coverage skills. He was great in coverage in the Texas Tech game. With Hodge, I wanted to see how he tackled. He wraps up, which is a lost art in the NFL. Both guys tackle well and would be great pickups for the Rams.

For those who may still be somewhat questionable about Michael Huff, maybe this picture will help you make up your mind.

Yes, he gets rocked hardcore with the stiff arm. But would you believe me if I said he still made the tackle?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    For those who may still be somewhat questionable about Michael Huff, maybe this picture will help you make up your mind.

Yes, he gets rocked hardcore with the stiff arm. But would you believe me if I said he still made the tackle?
    For those of you who missed this tackle in the Rose Bowl, you missed one of the best stops I've seen in a long time. Huff gives up about 60 pounds and brought Byrd down in the open field.

It was sweet.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yo Nick I'm not sure if I asked you this but what about taking Iowa's Senior WR Clinton Solomon? I mean he has good speed and is a good route runner. What do you think?
    RamsFan16

Is WR really a position of need?

No I'm just saying. He could be a good special teams player. He has small arms but he knows how to make a play.:tongue:
    RamsFan16

...and he's from Iowa.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No I'm just saying. He could be a good special teams player. He has small arms but he knows how to make a play.:tongue:
    We need a return guy, to be sure, but I'm not so sure he's not already on the roster (Groce was an All-American KR; we have other options). Other than that, we need guys who can tackle on STs...those are safeties and LBs. So...pass on the WR.

Nick another one how about Iowa States Tim Dobbins? He seemed to be pretty good what do you think? If you don't remember him or know him of hand here he is

Last edited by RamsFan16; -01-19-2006 at 11:13 PM.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Nick another one how about Iowa States Tim Dobbins? He seemed to be pretty good what do you think? If you don't remember him or know him of hand here he is
    Decent size (6'1" 245) and pretty good speed, and while he has been impressive at the college level, he hasn't faced a lot of top competition and was a JUCO transfer with limited time at Iowa State. I see him as a mid to late Day Two guy right now, but impressive workouts and interviews could push him up. But right now, I think he's a nice sleeper pick in the later rounds to provide good depth and ST play.

Whats your opinion on Charlie Peprah? He's a guy that I really wonder about. He has talent, but he seemed to dissapear this season.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast