9 11.25%
  • Tim Hiller, Western Michigan

1 1.25%
  • Tony Pike, Cincinnati

2 2.50%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Which QB Do You Want?

All of them have issues here are my problems with McCoy he makes so few reads in that Texas system and that spread does not translate to the NFL at all he is accurate, but his arm is average at best. I dont like the system average arm combo with McCoy

Bradford may be the best option at this point, but I want to see him play this year after coming back from injury and see him in comparison to other top guys. Most accurate out of the bunch with a pretty good arm. He makes good reads, but once again I don't really like the spread. It doesn't mean he wont be a good pro, but it will definately slow the transition guys like Kevin Kolb have proved this. I'm not saying he is Kolb he will get quicker than him and all young QBs will have ups a downs, but the spread doesn't help.

I like Claussen as of right now and I want to see him against USC defense IMO could be ranked in the 20's in NFL every year they are that talented. I'll just post what I wrote about him on my mock draft

Washington is a good team they beat USC. Clausen didn't play most of the purdue game due to injury, but he came back hurt and lead them on a game winning drive and threw the game winning touchdown with turf toe. If that isn't toughness leadership and grit when all the chips are on the table I don't know what is. Right now ND is banged up they have only 2 weapons left and there defense isn't good and his o-line is only decent. Watch his games this year if you get the chance and you will see what I'm talking about. As for the Brady Quin comparison Claussen has a stronger arm is more accurate and his supporting cast isn't nearly as good, but his numbers are better than Quinn's. IMO Clausen is the guy to beat untill we see what Bradford comming off injury can do.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Yes Bradford is good, but does he have a cool football name that lends itself for an even cooler football nickname like Colt "trigger" McCoy? He's a winner. Did Joe Montana have all the atypical "physical tools"? Am I saying Colt will be the next Joe Montana? YES I AM. You heard it here first.
    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Kirk Herbstreit predicted that Colt McCoy would be the Drew Brees of this draft Saturday. I'll take his word for it.
    Neither of the two comparisons - Montana or Brees - were high first rounders though. Montana was taken in the third round, and Brees at the top of the second. So if you're talking about McCoy outside of the first round, I'm game. But in the top 3-5 picks? Can't say I'm there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    If we can get him in round two or later, I'm all for Tim Tebow. All we need to have him do is hit quick slants and go for a long ball occasionally. He can also make plays on his feet.
    I'd really prefer this organization stay away from Tim Tebow. If he's going to be a QB at the next level, he's going to require major work on his fundamentals that will likely take a couple of seasons. And I would think our current offense shows that you can't just throw passes to quick routes and be successful.

Tebow is a great college player, but I don't think he'll translate well to the next level without some serious coaching attention.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What does it matter where he's taken? Oh boy, we took Tye Hill early, he was great for us. Carriker was taken early, boy look how great that one has turned out. Book still is out on Long but to me, he wasn't worth being taken that high without any playmakers on the team.

I don't get the slotting of picks. Maybe that's why I hate the draft.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    If we can get him in round two or later, I'm all for Tim Tebow. All we need to have him do is hit quick slants and go for a long ball occasionally. He can also make plays on his feet.
    Gosh, I don't know, Moose. The #33 pick seems awful high for a Fullback.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Right now, I see Bradford as the obvious choice, but I think we're still pretty far away from knowing who the top prospects will be and where they will be slotted.

In recent years, there have been plenty of examples of QBs who were not viewed as first round prospects until after the Senior Bowl, Combine and workouts. Guys like Roethlisberger, Flacco and Sanchez had to be "tested" by the scouts before they were seen as top prospects.

For that reason, I have my eye on guys like Locker, Snead, Hiller and Pike. These are all guys who might rise in the rankings as the college season ends and the scouting season progresses.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Locker is a major baseball prospect. Snead has only really had 6 good games as a college QB and is struggling mightly this season. Pike is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    What does it matter where he's taken?
    It doesn't matter, IF he pans out. If he doesn't, it matters a lot. Since there's no way to predict who becomes a superstar and who busts like a watermelon on the sidewalk, you have to stay close to your evaluations and draft grades.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Right now, I see Bradford as the obvious choice, but I think we're still pretty far away from knowing who the top prospects will be and where they will be slotted.

In recent years, there have been plenty of examples of QBs who were not viewed as first round prospects until after the Senior Bowl, Combine and workouts. Guys like Roethlisberger, Flacco and Sanchez had to be "tested" by the scouts before they were seen as top prospects.

For that reason, I have my eye on guys like Locker, Snead, Hiller and Pike. These are all guys who might rise in the rankings as the college season ends and the scouting season progresses.
    Good points. Given his skillset, Locker could be a good fit for what we want to do offensively. It'll be interesting to see (1) if he decides to come out and (2) where he'd project if he does. It's hard to see Bradford being knocked from the top QB spot, but anything can happen. After all, Leinart was for a long time viewed as the top quarterback prospect in 2006 but Young overtook him down the stretch.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Colt, Pike, Claussen interest me the most

like Tebow's determination, but would be hesitant drafting him in first 2 rds

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Hiller has had something of a drop off thus far this year. I'm not quite sure whether it is on him, defenses adjusting to him, or a downgrade in receivers. I was at the Indiana-Western Michigan game this year, and Hiller's receivers did drop more than their fair share of passes, so that last option could be the case.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

SO i came to this thread and saw the question and voted for Jimmy Clausen and hit submit then i got shocked!

Sam Bradford is winning? Before me Jake Locker had more votes then Jimmy Causen?

Are you guys kidding me?

Sam Bradford is injured. He got injured on his throwing shoulder. I want to see how well he can throw coming back from this injury. Why would anyone pick him when we don't even know if he will throw well post injury? If it was to his non throwing shoulder then its ok. But it was his throwing shoulder guys we don't know if this injury may lead to future injuries. Until he comes back and plays well there is no way we are drafting him.

I had us picking up Tim Tebow in my mock draft but the more i think about it all i see out Offense doing is conservative play after conservative play so we wont draft Tebow. Cuz all our offense is going to do is like 5-6 yard throws and then its up to the WR to do the rest. Typical WCO. But the only reason i see us taking Tebow is because when its 3rd and 12 we just do a draw play so Tebow can do that fine. But i dont think it will be Tebow.

Tim Hiller a top 10 pick out of Western Michigan? Nuff said!

I liked Jevon Sneed but he is struggling this year. And struggling your senior year will take a huge hit on your draft stock. So i see Sneed as a 2nd rounder right now. His struggles will not impress a team drafting in the top 10.

Tony Pike seems to be having a good season but when he faced a good Oklahoma D he threw 0 TDS and 1INT and had a 25.1 QB passer rating. Playing great vs. lower competition and horrible vs. great competition will not make him a 1st or 2nd rounder. Maybe not even 3rd.

I think Jake Locker has a contract with the LA Angels in MLB. ANd i just dont like how he daces around in the pocket it looks like he is panicing and he is not very poise when the blitz comes. however i love his toughness. There is a lot to like about his and a lot to dislike. He needs to deciede MLB or NFL. So right now since he has a deal with the angels i am leaning away from him.

Now its a case of Colt McCoy vs. Jimmy Clausen.

Both are around 6-3 210. So size is not there strong point. However both are mobile which is what the Rams need a mobile QB. I like both of there accuracy. Colt McCoy knows how to win. Jimmy Clausen is doing good with the Irish right now i would love to see how well he does vs. USC though. McCoy just does not have a strong arm. and when he was a sophmore he suxed when he did not have a good O-line He forced throws and had 18 picks. So right now i think Jimmy Clausen is better for the Rams his big obstacle is USC lets see how he does there.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Sam Bradford is injured. He got injured on his throwing shoulder. I want to see how well he can throw coming back from this injury. Why would anyone pick him when we don't even know if he will throw well post injury? If it was to his non throwing shoulder then its ok. But it was his throwing shoulder guys we don't know if this injury may lead to future injuries. Until he comes back and plays well there is no way we are drafting him.
    Seriously? People are picking Bradford under the assumption that he returns from injury with no lingering effects. If that changes and he shows signs of concern, then of course no one would advocate selecting him. But obviously the hypothetical pick wouldn't be made until April, when we'd know whether or not Bradford is recovered. And for the moment, most everyone - Clan and outside - is assuming he'll come back healthy until proven otherwise.

Tim Hiller a top 10 pick out of Western Michigan? Nuff said!
    I don't believe the poll said the Rams had to use their first round pick on the player.

I liked Jevon Sneed but he is struggling this year. And struggling your senior year will take a huge hit on your draft stock. So i see Sneed as a 2nd rounder right now. His struggles will not impress a team drafting in the top 10.
    Except Snead isn't a senior; he's a junior.

Tony Pike seems to be having a good season but when he faced a good Oklahoma D he threw 0 TDS and 1INT and had a 25.1 QB passer rating. Playing great vs. lower competition and horrible vs. great competition will not make him a 1st or 2nd rounder. Maybe not even 3rd.
    If he continues the year he's having and caps it off with a solid bowl performance, he will likely secure at least a second round grade. But yes, obviously if he struggles against top competition again, that will be a concern. I like him at the top of the second, again if his season continues to be impressive.

[QUOTE=BarronWade;309702]I think Jake Locker has a contract with the LA Angels in MLB. ANd i just dont like how he daces around in the pocket it looks like he is panicing and he is not very poise when the blitz comes. however i love his toughness. There is a lot to like about his and a lot to dislike. He needs to deciede MLB or NFL. So right now since he has a deal with the angels i am leaning away from him.

I'm fairly certain Locker has made it clear that football is his priority, saying, "If things don't happen to work out the way I hope they will (with football) I would still have an opportunity to play for a living."

Now its a case of Colt McCoy vs. Jimmy Clausen.

Both are around 6-3 210. So size is not there strong point. However both are mobile which is what the Rams need a mobile QB. I like both of there accuracy. Colt McCoy knows how to win. Jimmy Clausen is doing good with the Irish right now i would love to see how well he does vs. USC though. McCoy just does not have a strong arm. and when he was a sophmore he suxed when he did not have a good O-line He forced throws and had 18 picks. So right now i think Jimmy Clausen is better for the Rams his big obstacle is USC lets see how he does there.
    I don't get the sophomore argument. McCoy is two years removed from that season; meanwhile, Clausen is a junior who just last year threw 17 interceptions. How can you hold that against McCoy but not Clausen?

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    it's not even a lock that Sam comes out this year anyway, If he can't come back this season from injury, the smartest thing for him to do would be to stay his senior year and prove that there sre no ill effects from his shoulder. Jimmy Clausen is going to play the rest of the season without Michael Floyd, and that will hurt his overall Numbers, but what I see in him is a tough Quarterback who Played with a Turf Toe injury, and played very well. Jimmy Clausen Is leading the Nation In QB Rating with 179.3 Jevan Snead hasn't look that impressive at all to me so far this year. he isn't even in the top 40 of the QB's. Colt McCoy has thrown 5 INT's so far this year, that isn't awful, but considering who Texas has played so far, that may be a little to high. I don't really like any of the QB's where we will be picking. Maybe colt in the 2nd round, but unless we trade down, I don't think we will select a QB with the top 5 pick that we will have. they just aren't that Impressive right now
    Man your hard to impress IMO Clausen, Bradford, and Locker all have top % potential. They all have there flaws. Jimmy Clausen is not verry mobile, his MOBILITY is comparable to Tom Brady they aren't great scramblers but they do the little things to avoid the rush. Bradford is extremely accurate and has the arm, but he comes from the spread and he is going to have to hit the weight to get bigger and increase his durability. Locker isn't as accurate and isn't nearly as developed as the other 2 QBs, but he is progressing and he has ton of upside and way more athleticism than McCoy, Clausen, and Bradford combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Seriously? People are picking Bradford under the assumption that he returns from injury with no lingering effects. If that changes and he shows signs of concern, then of course no one would advocate selecting him. But obviously the hypothetical pick wouldn't be made until April, when we'd know whether or not Bradford is recovered. And for the moment, most everyone - Clan and outside - is assuming he'll come back healthy until proven otherwise.
    Assume? well this may be a little late to answer you back cuz Bradford will start 2moro. But i dont really like "assuming" cuz i "assumed" Bulger would play well in the WCO and Pat Shurmur could be a genius play caller obviously that assumption was garbage.

So lets wait till 2moro and see how bradford does. Im not goin to assume anything im going let him earn the respect back.

I don't believe the poll said the Rams had to use their first round pick on the player.
    They dont have to but think about it. The Rams have not had a decent start to the season (0-4 again) and the passing offense looks worse than last year. Our O-coordinator feels better calling plays 2 our back-up than our starter. So we have a QB issue. And i think spags is going to want "his guy" at QB not one of lenehan/martz guy. So i think he will use the 1st rounder to his QB.

If he continues the year he's having and caps it off with a solid bowl performance, he will likely secure at least a second round grade. But yes, obviously if he struggles against top competition again, that will be a concern. I like him at the top of the second, again if his season continues to be impressive.
    I see how you have a good bowl game but would you draft him (1st or 2nd round) if he has a great year but never has a 90 or higher qb rating vs. a good D?

Cuz if he cant produce vs. the good D's how is he going to produce vs. an NFL D?

I'm fairly certain Locker has made it clear that football is his priority, saying, "If things don't happen to work out the way I hope they will (with football) I would still have an opportunity to play for a living."
    What if we do draft Locker and becomes a back up for a year or 2 is he going to want to just go back to baseball?

If he struggles then gets benched will he go back to baseball?

Yea it is a pretty weak argument but im just not sure about his intentions so i wouldn't draft him.

I don't get the sophomore argument. McCoy is two years removed from that season; meanwhile, Clausen is a junior who just last year threw 17 interceptions. How can you hold that against McCoy but not Clausen?
    Well you got me there!

But still McCoy needs to lift weights cuz he just cant throw the deep ball. And he doesn't have much accuracy on 15+ yrd throws. Yea we run a WCO that has more short yrd throws but its obvious Shurmur does not know how to run the WCO.

Assume? well this may be a little late to answer you back cuz Bradford will start 2moro. But i dont really like "assuming" cuz i "assumed" Bulger would play well in the WCO and Pat Shurmur could be a genius play caller obviously that assumption was garbage.

So lets wait till 2moro and see how bradford does. Im not goin to assume anything im going let him earn the respect back.

They dont have to but think about it. The Rams have not had a decent start to the season (0-4 again) and the passing offense looks worse than last year. Our O-coordinator feels better calling plays 2 our back-up than our starter. So we have a QB issue. And i think spags is going to want "his guy" at QB not one of lenehan/martz guy. So i think he will use the 1st rounder to his QB.

I see how you have a good bowl game but would you draft him (1st or 2nd round) if he has a great year but never has a 90 or higher qb rating vs. a good D?

Cuz if he cant produce vs. the good D's how is he going to produce vs. an NFL D?

What if we do draft Locker and becomes a back up for a year or 2 is he going to want to just go back to baseball?

If he struggles then gets benched will he go back to baseball?

Yea it is a pretty weak argument but im just not sure about his intentions so i wouldn't draft him.

Well you got me there!

But still McCoy needs to lift weights cuz he just cant throw the deep ball. And he doesn't have much accuracy on 15+ yrd throws. Yea we run a WCO that has more short yrd throws but its obvious Shurmur does not know how to run the WCO.
    Locker going back to baseball after being one of the highest paid rookie QBs (assuming there is no rookie cap) Makes less than no sense. If he enters his name in the draft he will be a football player until the end of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Locker going back to baseball after being one of the highest paid rookie QBs (assuming there is no rookie cap) Makes less than no sense. If he enters his name in the draft he will be a football player until the end of his career.
    yea ur right but im still sticking with Jimmy Clausen if he enters the draft i like his mechanics

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast