• Tim Hiller, Western Michigan

1 1.25%
  • Tony Pike, Cincinnati

2 2.50%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Which QB Do You Want?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Assume? well this may be a little late to answer you back cuz Bradford will start 2moro. But i dont really like "assuming" cuz i "assumed" Bulger would play well in the WCO and Pat Shurmur could be a genius play caller obviously that assumption was garbage.

So lets wait till 2moro and see how bradford does. Im not goin to assume anything im going let him earn the respect back.
    It's kind of a silly argument either way. I just don't see anything wrong in assuming he returns to form until proven otherwise. Again, if proven otherwise, obviously many opinions will change. But I just don't see much reason to completely change my thought process on him until he shows that it actually is a concern. Since the draft is happening in April, obviously there will be a lot of time for him to demonstrate whether or not the injury is an actual concern.

They dont have to but think about it. The Rams have not had a decent start to the season (0-4 again) and the passing offense looks worse than last year. Our O-coordinator feels better calling plays 2 our back-up than our starter. So we have a QB issue. And i think spags is going to want "his guy" at QB not one of lenehan/martz guy. So i think he will use the 1st rounder to his QB.
    Well for starters, I'm not sure how you'd know that Shurmur "feels better" calling plays for our back-up than he does our starter. But if you're convinced the Rams have to take a QB in the first round, then Hiller is probably out. Still, the poll did not say that's where the selection was being made, so that shouldn't disqualify him. It's entirely possible the Rams look for their QB of the future in the second or third round. Both Spagnuolo and Shurmur have ties to the Eagles, who drafted Kevin Kolb in the second round in 2007. If the focus of the offense is ball control with a power running game, they may not feel a $70+ million quarterback is necessary.

I see how you have a good bowl game but would you draft him (1st or 2nd round) if he has a great year but never has a 90 or higher qb rating vs. a good D?

Cuz if he cant produce vs. the good D's how is he going to produce vs. an NFL D?
    I would evaluate everything I could find on him, and then determine his strengths and weaknesses. If I saw enough out of him to feel he could develop into a successful NFL quarterback, then I'd consider drafting him.

There have been plenty of highly rated quarterbacks who have performed well against great college defenses who have busted in the NFL. There have also been highly rated quarterbacks who have performed poorly against good defenses that have succeeded as well. As I recall, Matt Ryan had two pretty poor games against Virginia Tech in 2007, but was still the top QB in that class and has done pretty well in the NFL.

But again, repeating what I said before, obviously if he struggles against top competition again, that will be a concern. I'm anxious to see how he does against USF coming up.

What if we do draft Locker and becomes a back up for a year or 2 is he going to want to just go back to baseball?

If he struggles then gets benched will he go back to baseball?

Yea it is a pretty weak argument but im just not sure about his intentions so i wouldn't draft him.
    If Locker comes out this offseason, it probably means he'll be a first round pick. If the Rams draft him, it will be with a high pick with tens of millions in guaranteed money. He will not leave for baseball under those circumstances. I really don't see much validity in this concern.

Well you got me there!

But still McCoy needs to lift weights cuz he just cant throw the deep ball. And he doesn't have much accuracy on 15+ yrd throws. Yea we run a WCO that has more short yrd throws but its obvious Shurmur does not know how to run the WCO.
    Irregardless of Shurmur's deficiencies as a coordinator, West Coast offense quarterbacks generally do not need to have elite arms. That's one of the reasons I think McCoy is intriguing, but moreso in the second round if he's available. I don't think McCoy's game in terms of his physical skills stands out in any one area, but that might not necessarily be a bad thing. Perhaps my biggest concern is the system he's coming from.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Both Spagnuolo and Shurmur have ties to the Eagles, who drafted Kevin Kolb in the second round in 2007. If the focus of the offense is ball control with a power running game, they may not feel a $70+ million quarterback is necessary.
    Kevin Kolb is someone i also thought of being a Matt Cassel type deal. Kold for a 2nd round pick. But then i just thought if Kolb did that good why wouldn't the Eagles just keep him and let McNabb walk on his contract year. Cuz he is getting old and Kolb there 2nd round pick a couples years ago is the future.

I think the only way McNabb stays is if he wins the super bowl.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Right now, I have them ranked as follows:

1. Sam Bradford
    2. Jimmy Clausen
    3. Tony Pike
    4. Colt McCoy
    5. Jake Locker

bigredman is offline Registered User

I have them ranked as follows:

NAME______________________CMP ATT YRD PCT_ RECORD 2009 to date (10/14/09)

1. Colt "Pistol" McCoy...............135 184 1410 73.4 5-0
    2. Jimmy "Luv Me Irish" Clausen..100 148 1544 67.6 4-1
    3. Tony "1 Year Wonder" Pike.....116 174 1493 66.7 5-0
    4. Sam "Owwie" Bradford.............37...63..485 58.7 1-1
    5. Tim "Double Vision" Tebow.......55...84..777 65.5 5-0
    Last edited by bigredman; -10-17-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Right now, I would like to hear "Sam's a Ram!" when April comes around. His skill set and attributes translate best towards our WCO. He makes quick and correct reads, very accurate, and his mobility is underrated. A lot of people have identified arm strength as his main weakness, but I don't get it. It's above average, and if so he negates it by throwing the ball where his receiver has the best opportunity to make the play. Now, I didn't watch the entire Oklahoma-Baylor game (his return from injury), but I did see highlights and I did a mini analysis of him:

Oklahoma vs. Baylor Highlights - 10/10/09

Sam looks pretty darn impressive for someone who had a significant shoulder injury. His arm strength seems to be inconsistent at some points during the highlights, so that could be a cause for concern. At 1:12 (although he is flushed from the pocket) and at 1:52 are where his arm looks just average. Then again, he did throw the ball forty-nine times and he still had some zip on his passes towards the end of the game. I would say his arm was above-average on the day which should bode well moving forward as he continues to recover.

People have said that Bradford stares down his targets. On some occasions he does still stare down his receiver, but there is noticeable improvement in this regard. At 0:53, Sam does a nice job of looking up field before quickly turning to the sideline and delivering the ball. Arm strength is just okay, but he places the ball away from the defender giving his receiver the best chance of making the play. At 3:19 (one of his best throws), he looks right before quickly turning left and delivering a strike to his receiver. No hesitation on his part as he quickly turns and throws to his receiver. The fact that he is making strides in this area really has me excited.

Best pass:

4:27. Shows good feel for the pressure before rolling out and hitting his receiver on a comeback route at the sideline. Arm strength looks good, quick release, and shows good mobility rolling out with a nice fluid throw. This pass impresses me because it is essential for the WCO the Rams are using.

Worst pass:

1:52. This pass is one that makes me uneasy. Not only does he throw it with no zip, he also waits until his receiver gets open for a full second before delivering the ball. He should be able to throw the ball just before the receiver makes his break. That is the sign of a great quarterback.

The one thing I am truly scared about with Bradford, however, is if he is injury prone. He has had a concussion, torn ligament in his non-throwing hand, and now a shoulder injury during his tenure at Oklahoma. All of these injuries coming when he usually sees/faces little to no pressure! If he is thrown behind our offensive line, what would happen? That is one thing I am scared the most about with him. Everything else, I like what I see.

I haven't seen enough of Jake Locker to give an opinion, but from what I've read it sounds as if he's the next coming of McNabb/Roethlisberger. I've also read he would be wise to go back to school for another year, so we'll see how that all plays out.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. Bradford- Little Rusty coming back, but he'll regain Form lets see him against his toughest competition Texas.

2. Clausen- Pro System and has been playing lights out. Huge test against USC. If he performs well against the closet thing to an NFL defense he will shoot up boards

3. Locker- Performed well against USC, best athlete of top 3, alot of upside but is the most raw. If we are going to run those designed QB runs we ran with Boller he may be the best fit.

4. McCoy- I watch every top QB every time i get the chance McCoy was So-So against a terrible Colorado thing. He could also help himself with a great game against Oklahoma

5. Pike- Not in a pro style system at all, but is big with a strong arm.

This week is a huge weak for all the QBS Bradford and McCoy face off. Jimmy Clausen also goes up against the best defense in college football. Pike has a huge game against South Florida. Locker gets a break after 2 huge games in row against USC and Notre Dame.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

My choices as of now is between Bradford and Clausen. Bradford is very accurate, he makes very smart reads, has a pretty good arm, can avoid sacks, and, he's patient.

However, if we draft Bradford, we're going to have to protect him well. If we give him some time, this guy will play lights out.

Clausen, this kid is just a monster.

We should learn a lot in the next three days...

Pike will have a challenge playing undefeated South Florida.

Clausen will go up against a very talented USC defense.

McCoy and Bradford battle each other in the Red River rivalry game.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We should learn a lot in the next three days...

Pike will have a challenge playing undefeated South Florida.

Clausen will go up against a very talented USC defense.

McCoy and Bradford battle each other in the Red River rivalry game.
    Indeed, it should be a good weekend to get a meaningful look at some of this draft's best QB prospects! Set your DVRs!

richtree is offline Registered User

I hope Pike is ok, his injury seemed minor.

He looks more and more like the QB that Snead is supposed to be.

Pike > Snead any day.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Snead does absolutely nothing for me. I've watched him 3x and he's been horrible each time.

Locker is a late flame. He'll burn out and people will see the problems. Sorry but he's just not that good.

McCoy is a great college QB and he may turn into an absolute stud in the pros but he reminds me occasionally of Cade McNown on the field. Off the field he's nothing like McNown thankfully.

JMO but it's either Bradford or Clausen. Clausen is goofy and I question some of his decision making. Bradford is smart, mature and a football stud. At this point, there is zero contest.

Oh and guys that make major leaps at the combine, are rarely good choices. You can pick 4 out of the history and say it proves something but there are far more busts that have shot up the rankings at the combine and senior bowl than success stories. Routinely the guys that shoot up the rankings at those events are little more than workout warriors. Akili Smith is a perfect example. The guy was considered a second round or later pick and after the combine and senior bowl he shot way up.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

This was supposed to be a huge week
    Pike- Got Hurt
    Bradford- Got hurt. Durabilty growing concern he barely lasted 5 minutes and hurt the same shoulder
    McCoy- IMO nothing special
    Teebow- nothing special. Really wasn't in my picture anyways

Jimmy Claussen- Tough as nails true leader. Horrible first half came back and lead his team was put his team in great position and his receiver slipped. Accurate strong arm I was especially impressed by that dime he threw to Tate in double coverage. Great leader took alot of shots and was limping alot in the game, but he kept bouncing back and threw some hard accurate passes. I thought he wasn't verry mobile, but actually broke some good runs and scrambled for first downs and even a touchdown when he was pressured. Made good decisions alll day and threw it away when he had to. He did all this against a top 5 defense in College football while he was under pressure all day. I think he was sacked 5 times and also hit mutiple times. Imo really impressive performance in a loosing effort.

Bradford really hasn't done anything this year except get hurt. IMO Colt had a better year last year. Locker IMO isn't as accurate or as polished as Clausen. It is early, but I would say he is the front runner.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

A couple of questions not quite on topic but are related.

1) How long are we financially committed to Bulger? Are we done with all of the guaranteed money or are we looking at losing over 10 million + any year we say goodbye before 2014? (This isn't a bash on Bulger.)

2) While I know it is cool as a fan to draft a future quarterback to groom... it is always a risk. If we can cut Bulger without losing money are there any qbs headed for free agency in 2010 or 11? Eli and Peyton both make less than Bulger so it's not like we couldn't afford to pay well for the position.

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    1) How long are we financially committed to Bulger? Are we done with all of the guaranteed money or are we looking at losing over 10 million + any year we say goodbye before 2014? (This isn't a bash on Bulger.)
    The Rams signed Bulger through 2013, a six-year deal. They gave him a $12 million signing bonus, the cap implications of which are spread out over the course of his deal. So that's a $12 million bonus over six years, or $2 million against the cap every year of the deal.

Cutting Marc any time before 2013 will result in an accelerated cap hit equal to the combined amount of bonus money still left on his contract. So if Bulger is cut in February or March, the Rams will have to count X amount of dead money against their 2010 cap from that accelerated bonus money from 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.

Bulger's 2010 salary is $8.5 million. Add the $2 million from his pro-rated bonus to his cap charge, and that puts his cap number at $10.5 million. If the Rams cut him, his $8.5 million salary would be off the books. But they'd still have to count the $2 million against the cap, plus $2 million for each of the remaining seasons on the contract. That's $8 million in total accelerated cap money. So the Rams would count less against the cap by cutting him than they would saving him, but they'd have a significant amount of dead money to count and they'd be minus a starting QB.

This is based just on the figures I can find online at fan sites. There may be additional guarantees or bonus money that's factored in, but my understanding is that 2010 is the first year the Rams could cut Marc and have a cap savings. But again, cutting him doesn't eliminate his impact on the cap, as he'll still count for at least $8 million against the 2010 cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    2) While I know it is cool as a fan to draft a future quarterback to groom... it is always a risk. If we can cut Bulger without losing money are there any qbs headed for free agency in 2010 or 11? Eli and Peyton both make less than Bulger so it's not like we couldn't afford to pay well for the position.
    There do not appear to be any great options at QB in 2010. Hard to say what's going to happen in 2011 at this point. If cut, Bulger would probably be one of the top free agent passers this spring.

Also, Peyton and Eli make way more money than Marc...

Peyton (2004): Seven year, $99.2 million deal, $53.5 million guaranteed
    Eli (2009): Seven year, $106.9 million deal, $35 million guaranteed
    Marc (2007): Six year, $65 million deal, $27 million guaranteed
    Last edited by Nick; -10-17-2009 at 10:16 PM.

After this weekend, its getting hard to stay off of the Clausen bandwaggon. Bradford is likely to be a big risk with his shoulder issue, and Pike has a recurring (non-throwing) arm issue.

Clausen didn't win, but played pretty well against a tough defense in defeat.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast