• Tony Pike, Cincinnati

2 2.50%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Which QB Do You Want?

Clausen did look pretty good Saturday.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Clausen: Incredible arm strength, putting massive amounts of zip into his throws. Dead accurate. Is mobile and can make plays with his feet. Plays well under center, unlike a lot of other college QB's. Great pocket presence, patience, and awareness.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm only through the first half of the USC/ND game from this weekend, but I've not seen anything to get excited about in terms of Clausen thus far. Hoping to watch the second half either later tonight or in the next day or so, and maybe two more quarters will yield a different impression.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm only through the first half of the USC/ND game from this weekend, but I've not seen anything to get excited about in terms of Clausen thus far. Hoping to watch the second half either later tonight or in the next day or so, and maybe two more quarters will yield a different impression.
    Ya his first half was horrible, it was like day night. I watched it again Clausen played well, but I might have overreacted after seeing how undisciplined USC played with all those penalties on Clausen's last drive. Don't get me wrong he had a great second half

39thebeast is offline Registered User

IMO Jake Locker is getting overlooked right now. He has the best arm and he is the most mobile out of the top guys. He also plays on the worst team, don't forget Washington went defeated last year without him, but he came back this year and has put the team on his back by rushing, but more importantly passing. He has faced the toughest competition out of all the QBs and played his best games. He played well against the Stout USC and LSU defense's. He plays his best against his toughest challenges he also had good games against Notre Dame and Arizona 2 other top 25 teams.

I also like the fact he has improved leaps and bounds since his freshman and short sophmore year, where he looked like a strong armed Tim Teebow. He was a rusher before passer with bad mechanics. The Kid is coachable and his mechanics are way better and he is an all around better passer and decision maker than previous years. He is continuing to improve.

I also like his opponents in comparison to the other guys. Bradford has gotten hurt against all his tough opponents. Clausen has played no one but USC and he wont play anyone for the rest of the year. Locker beat Clausens toughest opponent, You could argue Clausen had a better game, but Golden Tate is a beast and I can't name anyone on Washington besides Daniel Teo-Neshem a Defensive End. LSU, USC, Notre Dame, and Arizona all top 25 teams in comparison to only USC and Washington for Clausen.

They both play in pro style offenses, but Locker plays in Steve Sarkisians pro style offense while Clausen plays in Charlie Wise's system. Who is more prepared? Who knows it all depends on the situation they come into when they get into the league, but it is a plus they are both in pro style offenses.

Lets look at the stat lines.
    Claussen 1,800 passing yards, 14 pass TDs, 64.9 completion rate, and 2 INTs, 1 rush TD, sacked 13 times
    Locker 1,700 passing yards, 11 pass TDs, 57.2 completion rate, and 6 INTs, 4 rush TDs, sacked 15 times

Since the QB looses rushing yards with sacks in College football Clausen has negative yards this year. Locker still has 200 plus yards rushing but he has way more attempts. Clausen also missed half a game against Purdue. You also have to take in consideration the superior weapon Clausen has.

My point is don't overlook Locker

DHawkins is offline Registered User

In light of Sam Bradfords injury, I believe Jimmy Clausen is the clearcut choice.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Take it for what it's worth, but Schefter tweeted this last night...

Jake Locker would be my guess. But it's very early. RT @blurm: @Adam_Schefter At this point, who is the first QB to get drafted?
    Point being, there's still a lot that can happen between now and the draft.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i think locker will ultimately be the best of any of these guys. he has the most athleticism, a good arm and has shown accuracy making nfl-type throws, which is more than i can say for mccoy or bradford, who technically have been "accurate" in college but they are playing in spread-option systems that aren't realistic at the nfl level.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i think locker will ultimately be the best of any of these guys. he has the most athleticism, a good arm and has shown accuracy making nfl-type throws, which is more than i can say for mccoy or bradford, who technically have been "accurate" in college but they are playing in spread-option systems that aren't realistic at the nfl level.

Yep, good point. What scares me about all of these spread offense QBs is that this offense reminds me of the Run and Shoot. Can anyone name a Run and Shoot QB that excelled in the NFL?

WHAT SAY YE?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Brees?

Seriously, there are MASSIVE differences in spread attacks. Lumping them all together isn't really a fair thing to do. The Texas Tech offense versus the Oklahoma spread don't even compare. The biggest problems spread offense QBs have is learning footwork because they are always in the shotgun but Bradford doesn't have that issue. He has routinely lined up under center.

How often do we see players blast from obscurity to top of the NFL draft class and then fall flat? Pretty good chance this guy ends up a 2nd round pick at best. JMO but there is still just a 50/50 chance the Rams go QB with their first pick unless they trade down. They could just as easily see a guy like Suh as such a sure thing they can't pass him up.

ImOnFire15 is offline Registered User

Jimmy Clausen, he looks like a stud.

richtree is offline Registered User

agreed, if we have the #1 pick its hard not to take Claussen ....

all that money for a WR or NT makes no sense

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I watched Clausen very close last week and he tends to make stupid throws in the red zone.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

There must be a 3rd Manning brother due to come out by now. He gets my vote...whatever his 1st name is.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Actually, I think they have a brother who is younger than Peyton and older than Eli, who does not play football. He must be in therapy ("Why doesn't daddy love ME?!?!")

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast