• Tim Hiller, Western Michigan

1 1.25%
  • Tony Pike, Cincinnati

2 2.50%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Which QB Do You Want?

Quote Originally Posted by npow81 View Post
    Oh...Ok well then we are in agreeance 100%...I'd want Gerald McCoy as well, and go for qb later (and there's no bias at all if your calling for a Sooner I suppose, I guess this means you can start shouting Boomer---Sooner, right?)
    Don't push it.......

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Just a stat fact:

In the past 7 games Jake Locker has 9 TDs to 8 interceptions.
    6.49 yards per attempt
    55% completion percentage.

Just to be honest, these are the easiest defenses he'll ever see and he's putting of bad numbers.

Over the last 7 games Christian Ponder has
    12 TDs to 6 INT
    71% completion
    8.26 yards per attempt.

One is considered a top flight QB prospect and the other supposedly needs to come back for another season? Sorry, no.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Just a stat fact:

In the past 7 games Jake Locker has 9 TDs to 8 interceptions.
    6.49 yards per attempt
    55% completion percentage.

Just to be honest, these are the easiest defenses he'll ever see and he's putting of bad numbers.

Over the last 7 games Christian Ponder has
    12 TDs to 6 INT
    71% completion
    8.26 yards per attempt.

One is considered a top flight QB prospect and the other supposedly needs to come back for another season? Sorry, no.
    I like Christian Ponder, but you are overstating your case a bit.

The reason a guy like Locker is considered a better prospect is that he is bigger, faster and has a stronger arm than Ponder. I agree that his numbers are not great, but I do think he is playing on a bad team.

Of course, any discussion of Ponder is now moot because he is out for the season and having shoulder surgery.

I'm not suggesting Ponder (he probably wasn't coming out anyway), just trying to show how Locker isn't really the polished gem people seem to think he was. The kid was out of football last year injured and nobody had him ranked as a top 20 QB prospect this year. He beat USC and he exploded up the rankings but his stats never materialized. He's basically Jarrett Brown.

The reality is that Locker will either fall back down to where he belongs in the 4th round (or later) or he'll go back to school for another year. He's not ready to take the next step.

Seriously, Ryan Mallett and Zac Robinson are more likely to get drafted higher in the 2010 draft before it's all done.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -11-10-2009 at 12:27 PM.

I'd rather have Ryan Mallett than anyone in this draft anyway. Over McCoy, over Claussen, over Tebow, over all of them.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'd rather have Ryan Mallett than anyone in this draft anyway. Over McCoy, over Claussen, over Tebow, over all of them.
    Gaaaah!! Noooo!!!! Dadgummit the Hogs finally develop a decent QB and now everybody wants him? Oh well, I guess the news about this bad boy is getting out.

Still, I hope that he stays in school for the duration (well, unless the Rams can somehow acquire him!)

WHAT SAY YE?

The reality is that Locker will either fall back down to where he belongs in the 4th round (or later) or he'll go back to school for another year. He's not ready to take the next step.
    Well, the pundits definitely disagree with you. Scott Wright, for example, currently has him as the second pick in the draft (w/the Rams taking Bradford with the 4th pick).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, the pundits definitely disagree with you. Scott Wright, for example, currently has him as the second pick in the draft (w/the Rams taking Bradford with the 4th pick).
    Well we'll see. Rumor is he's fallen so far he's got to go back for his senior year and hope he's a first round talent next year.

As for Mallett, Arkansas didn't develop him, he's a redshirt Sophomore who played a season in Michigan. How is that developing him? The kid is the REAL deal and I'd be happy with him in the 2nd round. Huge, fast, strong and has a cannon for an arm with Favre type ability. Still, he needs to play another year.

Mallett's an interesting prospect, but his accuracy is a big concern at this point. Look at his stats against Florida, Alabama and Mississippi and you'll see what I mean.

Yea, but I've watched Mallett play a few times and he is more impressive than anyone in the draft this season. You are right Rebel, he does need another year. However, he is the REAL DEAL and I would rather go WR in Round 1 and have #10 one more year and see if we can get a shot at Mallett next season than to draft anyone this year early. McCoy included.

To answer Av's point, I think the only team in organized football with more drops or has the ball touch the receiver's hands and still doesn't get caught than the Rams is Arkansas.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -11-10-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Yea, but I've watched Mallett play a few times and he is more impressive than anyone in the draft this season. You are right Rebel, he does need another year. However, he is the REAL DEAL and I would rather go WR in Round 1 and have #10 one more year and see if we can get a shot at Mallett next season than to draft anyone this year early. McCoy included.
    Nah, Rams need a QB now. Mallett may not even be available to them next season, you can't count on it. Or he could turn into Snead. But man right now for a Sophomore, he's impressive. And this is on a team that has gone through a complete transformation from a run, run, run offense. It's not like he's stepped in with a bunch of veteran WRs who are NFL bound.

Article on Jake Locker if you'd like to read a local / Washington view on the guy:

A Long Look at Jake Locker, Pro*Quarterback, After a Brief Look at Jake Locker, Amateur Quarterback - Field Gulls

noted in the article:

QBs tend to have the same number of sacks, interceptions and passing completion percentages regardless of who they play for in the pros or college. I think this is part of the problem with Bulger. It doesn't matter who is on the offensive line, he tends to find sacks.

If you throw for 55-56% completions in college, why is it all of a sudden going to 60-65% in the pros?

If you throw into double and triple coverage in college, why will you avoid that all of a sudden in the pros?

If you can't hit receivers in stride in college (note Mathew Stafford here please), why should anyone expect you to achieve that in the pros?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Rebell I think you have some good points. I would agree that Jake Locker is slightly overrated. What people fall in love with about him is all the athletic ability combined with the upside. I think he should stay another year, to develop his abilities to the fullest extent, I don't think he is ready to make NFL reads to me thats his biggest problem. I think if he stays another year he is a lock to go first overall. The problem is he probably wont after seeing what happend to Bradford, the ton of money starring at him, and a rookie cap looming.

On Bradford don't rule him out. He is the most accurate out of the bunch, really good intangibles and perfect 5 pillar guy. He is extremely smart and is miles ahead of Locker and any other QB when it comes to reading defenses and calling the right audibles. His accuracy and intelligence combination make me think he will come in and play well. The injuries are really going to hurt him, and all the draft Nicks are saying that will hold him back. If you look at Locker is just as injury prone he has yet to finish a whole season and also had a season ending injury last year.

I change my favorite QB every day, but right now I like Bradford then Clausen then Locker.

I'm a huge Bradford fan but he needs to do a few things:

1. prove he's healthy. The injury means nothing long term because they've all said he'll be 100% when he returns (the surgery supposedly guaranteed it wouldn't be chronic) but he needs to prove he is 100%. Easy to do with a physical and throwing at a private workout / the combine.

2. he needs to prove he can hit receivers in stride. In the Big 12 a lot of defenses play zone 2 coverage so receivers are barely moving when the pass is delivered. You can't do that in the pros. I think he can do this but he needs to prove it. I've seen him make the deep throw and I've seen him hit receivers in stride but hey, they could have been luck. One thing I did know going into the last draft, Mathew Stafford couldn't hit receivers in stride and he still can't. Hitting them on the back shoulder pad and then saying "well they should have caught it" isn't good enough.

3. I'd like to know he can actually read defenses. I know most spread offenses have the coaches make the reads and late adjustments are signaled to the team right before the snap. Is Bradford able to make those reads or are they being given to him? The lack of interceptions is a good indicator but again, could just be luck.

If he does those three, he's my man at #1. Seriously, the guy is Peyton Manning like on the field. I don't see it as even close between him and the rest unless one of these three things eliminates him.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I'm a huge Bradford fan but he needs to do a few things:

1. prove he's healthy. The injury means nothing long term because they've all said he'll be 100% when he returns (the surgery supposedly guaranteed it wouldn't be chronic) but he needs to prove he is 100%. Easy to do with a physical and throwing at a private workout / the combine.

2. he needs to prove he can hit receivers in stride. In the Big 12 a lot of defenses play zone 2 coverage so receivers are barely moving when the pass is delivered. You can't do that in the pros. I think he can do this but he needs to prove it. I've seen him make the deep throw and I've seen him hit receivers in stride but hey, they could have been luck. One thing I did know going into the last draft, Mathew Stafford couldn't hit receivers in stride and he still can't. Hitting them on the back shoulder pad and then saying "well they should have caught it" isn't good enough.

3. I'd like to know he can actually read defenses. I know most spread offenses have the coaches make the reads and late adjustments are signaled to the team right before the snap. Is Bradford able to make those reads or are they being given to him? The lack of interceptions is a good indicator but again, could just be luck.

If he does those three, he's my man at #1. Seriously, the guy is Peyton Manning like on the field. I don't see it as even close between him and the rest unless one of these three things eliminates him.
    A well thought out post, Rebel. But even if your criterion is met by Bradford I'm still not sure that he elevates to a top 3 pick given his HISTORY of injury, and the fact he did not get all that much playing time in college.

As of today it is going to be difficult for ANY of the current crop of QBs to supplant Ndamakong Suh (or Gerald McCoy) at the top of my board. I just don't see much risk in either player at this point.

P.S. Thanks for your link to that article on Jake Locker. I thought it was informative and it is readily apparent to me that Locker needs to stay for his senior year. (Or go play for the Angels of whom I'm also a life time fan!!)

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast