Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dominating D Guest

Is the QB position the most important?

It seems to be an ongoing argument here at the clam....

So I've decided to breakdown each division to identify which team has the more productive/talented QB. Then review which teams were playoff contenders and how the average to below average teams faired.

Patriots -- Brady
    Jets -- Sanchez
    Dolphins -- Henne
    Bills -- ? Edwards
    -----------------------

Bengals -- Palmer
    Ravens -- Flacco
    Steelers -- Big Ben
    Browns -- Quinn
    ----------------------

Colts -- Manning
    Texans -- Schaub
    Titans -- Young
    Jaguars -- Garruard
    ----------------------

Chargers -- Rivers
    Broncos -- Orton
    Chifs -- casell(sp)
    Raiders -- pick anyone
    ------------------------

Cowboys -- Romo
    Eagles -- McNabb
    Giants -- Manning
    Redskins -- Campbell
    ------------------------

Saints -- Brees
    Falcons -- Ryan
    Panthers -- Moore
    Bucaneers -- Freeman?
    -----------------------

Vickings -- Favre
    Packers -- Rodgers
    Bears -- Cultler
    Lions -- Stafford
    ----------------------

Cardinals -- Warner
    Whinners -- Smith
    Hawks -- Hasselbeck
    Rams -- Bulger
    ---------------------

Playoff teams and QB

Jets -- Sanchez
    Bengals -- Palmer
    Ravens -- Flacco
    Patriots -- Brady
    Colts -- Manning
    Chargers -- Rivers

Eagles -- McNabb
    Cowboys -- Romo
    Packers -- Rodgers
    Cardinals -- Warner
    Vickings -- Favre
    Saints -- Brees

Hate to say it folks but it seems the majority of times that the teams with the best QB in thier division make the playoffs.
    Last edited by Dominating D; -04-10-2010 at 07:41 PM.

thickandthin Guest

Re: Is the QB position the most important?

you spelled Flacco's name wrong twice lol =P

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure anyone is arguing it isn't the most important, but a lot of people either question Bradford's health, his ability to play in the NFL, or say we need to have more talent before we can have a QB. The last one is one I particularly disagree with and think in general is a poor team-building strategy to wait for your talent to build before you insert a QB.

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I'm not sure anyone is arguing it isn't the most important, but a lot of people either question Bradford's health, his ability to play in the NFL, or say we need to have more talent before we can have a QB. The last one is one I particularly disagree with and think in general is a poor team-building strategy to wait for your talent to build before you insert a QB.
    Some feel that the QB postion is no more important than the DT position. I believe all are important but having a quality QB only helps a team perform at a high level. Sure you can argue by saying what about Dilfer. But Dilfer is the exception to the rule. For every Dilfer you will find you will find a P. Manning, T. Brady, and J. Ellway.

Go Rams

Dominating D Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    you spelled Flacco's name wrong twice lol =P
    Very surprise Flacco was the only one. Maybe I was thinking of the guy in the movie about the Skins Replacement players was it Falco?

Go Rams
    Last edited by Dominating D; -04-10-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

I dont doubt Bradford can play at the next level. And honestly i don't feel he is anymore likely to get injured than any other QB is. His shoulder was clean and overblown. Apparently it would have healed on its own but the surgery was done to save time and to prevent any recurring ill effects. With his added muscle to deal with anything nagging, and no history of chronic injuries or problems like bad knees or the like, I'm no longer concerned with his durability specifically. I just hope our bad luck with injuries has ended as a team.

Bradford has all the skills and intangibles to succeed in the NFL. What the Rams give him to work with is going to be the deciding factor on if he will be the next big thing.

thickandthin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Very surprise Flacco was the only one. Maybe I was thinking of the guy in the movie about the Skins Replacement players was it Falco?

Go Rams
    and you spelled Garrard Garruard lol but I'll stop being picky.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Some feel that the QB postion is no more important than the DT position. I believe all are important but having a quality QB only helps a team perform at a high level. Sure you can argue by saying what about Dilfer. But Dilfer is the exception to the rule. For every Dilfer you will find you will find a P. Manning, T. Brady, and J. Ellway.

Go Rams
    Every position is indeed important, but some more than others. QB is the most vital position on the offense, DT isn't even the most important position on the defense, at least in my opinion. I don't mean to insult anyone who thinks DT is as important as QB, but I seriously doubt you find a single person in the NFL who believes that, and for good reason, because it isn't true. I will take that back if someone can find me a source that says straight out "A DT is as important to any team as their QB".

bigredman Guest

Go Rams
    I agree. Same goes with McMahon and the Bears. A dominate defense like the Ravens and Bears are very rare. We are not even close to having such a defense, even if we do pick up Suh. What we need is a quarterback. A franchise QB to build this team around. Three of four first round picks have been devoted to defense by the Rams. Enough already.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Every position is indeed important, but some more than others. QB is the most vital position on the offense, DT isn't even the most important position on the defense, at least in my opinion. I don't mean to insult anyone who thinks DT is as important as QB, but I seriously doubt you find a single person in the NFL who believes that, and for good reason, because it isn't true. I will take that back if someone can find me a source that says straight out "A DT is as important to any team as their QB".
    Who said DT was more important than qb? I do disagree with you that DT is not the most important position on the defense. Pressure up the middle and occupying blockers is the most important thing and is what helps the defense succeed. Pressure up the middle gives the cb's less time to cover. Gives the qb less time to think. Occupying blockers frees up the linebackers to do there job which is penetrate and get to the ball carrier early and not have to be over run constantly by bigger o-lineman. I beleive on the defense it all starts up front with the d-line. Having a bad d-line and not pressuring the qb has been fatal for the Rams lately. How good do the Rams corners look when the qb has 8 seconds to throw the ball? So there is a need for a Suh like player on this team, however qb is just a bigger need. Hopefully Bradford is everything we need him to be.

I have come to accept the fact that the Rams are going to take Bradford. I don't see outstanding qb in him but the draft forces teams to takes qb's just because they need a supposed franchise guy. I hope I am wrong I just dont see franchise guy written on any of these guys. I take nothing from pro-days because even bad qb's like Ryan Leaf had amazing pro days. There have been good qb's who have had horrible pro days as well.

I hope Bradford turns out to be great because you really just dont know untill these guys hit the field. Not to mention our offensive talent isnt very good. I know everyone wants to pin it all on Bulger but the guy went from his best year to 3 of his worst years along with decaying talent. Bradford better be a Manning type qb's to elevate the play of the average o-line and average wr's. I realize the need for qb and have no doubt the Rams are picking Bradford, I just hope he's the guy they think he is and not just the best average qb of an average qb draft class. The draft is a mixed bag of success stories and complete fails when it comes to qb's in the first round.
    Just Fix It

ludairv is offline Registered User

ofcourse it is hands down....lol and please dont mentin the ravens cuz that was pretty much the only team....recently ....

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ludairv View Post
    ofcourse it is hands down....lol and please dont mentin the ravens cuz that was pretty much the only team....recently ....
    On the contrary, there is every reason to mention the Ravens. The Ravens' Superbowl win exemplified the fact that football is a team sport.

Spagnuolo's mantra for our Rams is: Team first! .. I doubt future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning would have looked very good behind the Rams' 2009 O-line throwing to our group of no-name receivers ..

Asking which position is the most important on a football team, is sort of like asking which leg is most important to a dog chasing his tail ... Great teams have great players .. I think one can say there are "key" positions; for example most football pundits would agree that left tackle is a "key" position if a team has a right handed QB .. Point being: there are so many variables in the game of football it is an exercise in futility to say one player is more important than all his teammates.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Maui, when your trying to win a football game. You want the ball in the hands of a PEyton Manning, not a vince wilfork. You can afford to have a Leger Douzable playing DT, what you can't afford is having Ryan Leaf start for your football team. QB IS more important a position to have talent than Defensive Tackle, sorry. It IS a team sport and you need capable bodies at all position. But i don't see how you can say a Great QB isn't more valuable to a team given all his responsibilty than a DT, or using your logic, a Kicker. Every player contributes, but some contribute more than others. I want a right arm, but i can live without one, albeit it would suck. What i can't live without, is a brain.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Maui, when your trying to win a football game. You want the ball in the hands of a PEyton Manning, not a vince wilfork. You can afford to have a Leger Douzable playing DT, what you can't afford is having Ryan Leaf start for your football team. QB IS more important a position to have talent than Defensive Tackle, sorry. It IS a team sport and you need capable bodies at all position. But i don't see how you can say a Great QB isn't more valuable to a team given all his responsibilty than a DT, or using your logic, a Kicker. Every player contributes, but some contribute more than others. I want a right arm, but i can live without one, albeit it would suck. What i can't live without, is a brain.
    Disagree. You can only afford to have him if you have possession of the ball last. Otherwise your Manning clone's late-game heroics are for naught as your undertalented defense performs its best cheap hooker impression and lets the opponents score the winning points at will.

But then, I don't think Bradford's a great QB either.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Disagree. You can only afford to have him if you have possession of the ball last. Otherwise your Manning clone's late-game heroics are for naught as your undertalented defense performs its best cheap hooker impression and lets the opponents score the winning points at will.

But then, I don't think Bradford's a great QB either.
    I would take a good QB and Douzable at DT anyday over a bad QB and a good DT.

Not every position in football has the same importance and value. That's like saying a FB is as vital as a CB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast