Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

QB WATCH '09: Tracking the Top Prospects

Thought it'd be nice to create a thread to try and track how the top 2010 QB draft prospects do week to week and discuss their performances, rather than have a thread spring up every week or two asking about them.

QB WATCH '09

STATS THRU OCT. 26th
    Bradford: 39/69 (56.5%), 562 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INTs
    Locker: 158/281 (56.2%), 1968 yds, 12 TDs, 8 INTs
    Clausen: 150/230 (65.2%), 2050 yds, 16 TDs 2 INTs
    McCoy: 182/254 (71.7%), 1806 yds, 14 TDs, 8 INTs
    Tebow: 84/132 (63.6%), 1159 yds, 8 TDs, 4 INTs
    Pike: 128/199 (64.3%), 1633 yds, 15 TDs, 3 INTs

WEEK OF OCT. 26th
    Bradford: Out for season w/ shoulder surgery, 4-6 month rehab, plans to declare for NFL Draft
    Locker: Bye week (next opp. @ UCLA 11/7)
    Clausen: vs. Washington State (118th pass defense)
    McCoy: @ Oklahoma State (106th pass defense)
    Tebow: vs. Georgia (90th pass defense)
    Pike: Questionable @ Syracuse (115th pass defense)

POS. ON KIPER'S TOP 25 BIG BOARD
    Bradford: 5th
    Locker: 7th
    Clausen: 12th
    McCoy: 18th
    Tebow: Unranked
    Pike: Unranked
    Last edited by Nick; -10-26-2009 at 09:05 PM.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: QB WATCH '09: Tracking the Top Prospects

I think when I talked Locker up I jinxed him, to multi pick games in losing efforts, Clausen on the other had is on fire he is taking care of the ball.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have to say... I don't think Tebow belongs on the list. He is NOT going to be a good NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    You say that with such certainty. I wouldn't bet against him Av.
    Have you seen him play? The offense he plays in bears no resemblence whatsoever to an NFL offense, and he does not throw an NFL ball.

But hey... he's won a lot of games at UF, so that means he'll be a great NFL QB, right?

[INSERT LIST OF SUCCESSFUL COLLEGE QBs WHO HAVE FAILED IN NFL HERE]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

yes I have seen he play, and I have seen him carry the Gators to win games. Does he play under center? NO Does he throw the best Deep Ball? NO Is he the prototypical QB? NO But that dude has alot of heart and determination to win games, and to me, That's a SPAGS type player right there. lets see what he does at the Combine before we go saying that he can't do something.
    Tebow is a great college QB. Great athlete, great drive and determination with the results to match. He is the quintessential winner/achiever who refuses to be denied. I love his game.

That said, I think he's a longshot to be a starting NFL QB because as Av mentioned, he hasn't shown the passing skills needed to succeed at the next level. I do think he has the ability to be an effective situational weapon and have no doubt that he will be on an NFL roster as a QB.

Let me add that if there was ever a guy who has a chance to prove the doubters (me included) wrong, it's Tim Tebow. His sheer will to persevere is amazing.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I have seen him carry the Gators to win games.
    You've seen him help the Gators score points; you haven't seen him "carry the Gators to win games". The #2 ranked scoring defense in the nation might have had something to do with that as well. When he takes a snap this season, there's a 48% chance (132 pass attempts, 121 rush attempts) that he's going to pull it down and run with it. He has more career rushing attempts than he does completed passes. Now that's fine against the Charleston Southerns and Western Kentucky's of the world, but that won't make it in the NFL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

simply put, we'll almost certainly be picking #1 in the draft, or at least top 3-5. we can't afford to pick a high-risk player like tebow, mccoy, or bradford (he has shown some nfl accuracy and i like him ok; his shoulder is the issue here). i like claussen and love locker, haven't seen too much of pike to make a decision there. i'm all for picking a qb in the draft at some point, but i'd rather wait and see if mccoy, pike, or snead falls to the second round. i have no interest in tebow, his ridiculous jump-throws and shovel passes won't work at this level.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

But that dude has alot of heart and determination to win games
    You realize it takes more than just heart and determination to become a successful NFL player though, right? There are numerous guys with heart and determination that can't make it in the league. You keep making it sound like it's okay that Tebow had poor fundamentals and no experience in a pro-style offense because his heart and determination will just automatically make him a good NFL QB. It doesn't really work that way.

I wonder the extent to which fans would perceive Tebow's heart and determination if the national media did not constantly tell us how much heart and determination he has.

I live in the heart of Gator Country, and I can tell you... the myth far exceeds the man.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I wonder the extent to which fans would perceive Tebow's heart and determination if the national media did not constantly tell us how much heart and determination he has.
    I can tell you quite honestly Av that I watch most Florida games and find myself routinely impressed at the way he gets things done. IMO, if he had the skill set of Bradford to go along with his mind set and attitude, he'd be a can't miss franchise NFL QB. Unfortunately, when it comes to throwing the ball, he's no Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I know exactly what it takes to be a QB.
    Then you must know his skill set has very little chance of translating to be an NFL QB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

You can leave Tebow on the list, he just isn't going to be drafted in the 1st round. He's be shifted to WR in the NFL most likely.

Locker appears to me to beat up on weak talent (looking like a professional QB in the process) and look below average against decent talent. That's not a good combination. I'm no Clausen fan but I'll give him credit, he consistently looks pretty darn good.

I'm still 100% sold on Bradford. He's (IMO) the best QB in the draft by a massive margin. It isn't even close and I don't care about the injury. It's a sprain that would have healed on it's own but could have been chronic. Instead he got the surgery that is supposed to make his shoulder 100%. We are looking for a QB to play for the next 12+ years, I'm not worried about a short term injury.

Just compare Bradford to last years #1 pick Stafford (who has battled injuries). Who would you rather have? I'd rather have Clausen than Stafford.

there is always that Slim chance that he can pull it off
    Day 2 is for "slim chances"; not round 1.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

There is ZERO chance he's moving to TE. That's one of the most difficult positions to transition from college to the pros because you've got receiver duties of learning passing routes, catching the ball and receiver blocking assignments. Then you've basically got to also learn everything a tackle does because you've got stay-in pass blocking and rushing blocking. Unless Tebow has proven he can be a blocker, he's not making that transition.

It's safety, WR or QB. He's a major project at any of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast