smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quentin Groves - DE/OLB - Auburn

Auburn DE/OLB Quentin Groves posted the fastest forty time among the first DL group Monday, clocking in at 4.50.

It's unofficial, but impressive for the 6'3/254-pounder. Other times include USC DT Sedrick Ellis (5.21), Michigan OLB Shawn Crable (4.56), and Virginia Tech DE/OLB Chris Ellis (4.75). Vernon Gholston is in the second group.
    (via Rotoworld.)

He may have sprinted his way into the bottom of the 1st round but if he's still on the board at pick #33, I think we'd seriously have to give him some consideration. He may be a little but undersized but has the frame to bulk up more. He is a an absolute beastt of a pass rusher.

Imagine a scenario like this:

Trade the 2nd pick into the bottom of the top 10 (ie. 6th or 7th pick) and recieve an additional 2nd rounder, select Vernon Gholston.

In the second round take Groves if he's still on the board and one of the big name tackles with the other 2nd rounder. (Chris Williams, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker, etc.)

That in my mind would be a phenomenal 1st day and would essentially give us one of the hottest young defensive lines in the league in terms of prospects.

DE Vernon Gholston
    DT Adam Carriker
    DT Clifton Ryan
    DE Quentin Groves

Throw in some Leonard Little (providing we restructure his contract) and that defensive line is starting to look pretty good.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Quentin Groves - DE/OLB - Auburn

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    Auburn DE/OLB Quentin Groves posted the fastest forty time among the first DL group Monday, clocking in at 4.50.

It's unofficial, but impressive for the 6'3/254-pounder. Other times include USC DT Sedrick Ellis (5.21), Michigan OLB Shawn Crable (4.56), and Virginia Tech DE/OLB Chris Ellis (4.75). Vernon Gholston is in the second group.
    (via Rotoworld.)

He may have sprinted his way into the bottom of the 1st round but if he's still on the board at pick #33, I think we'd seriously have to give him some consideration. He may be a little but undersized but has the frame to bulk up more. He is a an absolute beastt of a pass rusher.

Imagine a scenario like this:

Trade the 2nd pick into the bottom of the top 10 (ie. 6th or 7th pick) and recieve an additional 2nd rounder, select Vernon Gholston.

In the second round take Groves if he's still on the board and one of the big name tackles with the other 2nd rounder. (Chris Williams, Gosder Cherilus, Sam Baker, etc.)

That in my mind would be a phenomenal 1st day and would essentially give us one of the hottest young defensive lines in the league in terms of prospects.

DE Vernon Gholston
    DT Adam Carriker
    DT Clifton Ryan
    DE Quentin Groves

Throw in some Leonard Little (providing we restructure his contract) and that defensive line is starting to look pretty good.
    I could actually see that working out. Even if one of our ends dont work well, we still might have juice in Little.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Well thought-out post. If the Rams could swing this, I think it'd be great.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Groves would have to add 25 pounds to be a small lineman. As I understand it, he's considered more of a rush LB in a 3-4 system. That said, in your scenario maybe he fills in Chillar's spot. Not knowing anything about him other than he can rush the passer, I'm OK with that.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Groves would have to add 25 pounds to be a small lineman. As I understand it, he's considered more of a rush LB in a 3-4 system. That said, in your scenario maybe he fills in Chillar's spot. Not knowing anything about him other than he can rush the passer, I'm OK with that.
    I dont think that is true he is only ten pounds lighter than little. He is 6'3 he has room to grow

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I dont think that is true he is only ten pounds lighter than little. He is 6'3 he has room to grow
    Youre right. This kid is a freaking beast. I would love to see him in our uniform. Thats if C Long is gone atleast.

edge_V is offline Registered User

I don't think it would be very smart to pick two guys who play the same position back to back. Idk. Its just not how it works. Unless...your the rams and take two TE's. But we're second worst in the league...we have to fill a lot of needs. I'd like to possibly take gholston and then take crable in the second. Didn't he have a good combine?

Quote Originally Posted by edge_V View Post
    I don't think it would be very smart to pick two guys who play the same position back to back. Idk. Its just not how it works. Unless...your the rams and take two TE's. But we're second worst in the league...we have to fill a lot of needs. I'd like to possibly take gholston and then take crable in the second. Didn't he have a good combine?
    Do you really think so??

The reason we would get this guy is if C. Long is gone. If Chris is gone, we're (most likely) going to pursue Jake Long. Then sign this guy in the second round. Either way, Groves or Gholston would start...whoever we pick.

shower beers is offline Registered User

There could be a problem with fronting an entire starting line with rookies and second year players, but I like the idea of it.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by edge_V View Post
    Unless...your the rams and take two TE's. But we're second worst in the league...we have to fill a lot of needs.
    At the time, they had no TE on the roster so that is hardly a reasonable criticism of the Rams. Its not like we've drafted a TE every year or anything.

As to Groves only being 10 pounds lighter than Little, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that one of Leonard's problems has always been that he doesn't hold up well in the run game. We need a pass rush, but we can't gain that at the expense of finally starting to fix our running problems. Plus, Little is pretty small for an NFL defensive lineman; if Groves is 10 pounds lighter, then he is *very* small for an NFL DE.

I'm not saying I object to having the kid drafted, I'm just saying he's seems better suited to a different defensive scheme.