MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Question for all you dyed in the wool draftNicks ..

At this point in the season, it is well within the realm of possibility we'll be drafting in the top 5 again. We could even end up with the second overall pick for the third year in a row .. (If so that must be some kind of record) .. My question is this: Is there a player at ANY position worth the #1 or #2 overall pick in round one next year? (in terms of talent and the money said player would command)

As far as I can see, there are no Peyton Mannings, Jake Longs, or Calvin Johnsons asserting themselves as "can't miss" draft picks. If we do end up with say another #2 overall pick, would we even want it given the enormous amount of money involved? In a year with a weak draft class (I'm speaking of the top 5 in rd 1 only), few teams if any, would be interested in moving up .. Thoughts?
    Last edited by MauiRam; -11-07-2009 at 07:17 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Question for all you dyed in the wool draftNicks ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    At this point in the season, it is well within the realm of possibility we'll be drafting in the top 5 again. We could even end up with the second overall pick for the third year in a row .. (If so that must be some kind of record) .. My question is this: Is there a player at ANY position worth the #1 or #2 overall pick in round one next year? (in terms of talent and the money said player would command)

As far as I can see, there are no Peyton Mannings, Jake Longs, or Calvin Johnsons asserting themselves as "can't miss" draft picks. If we do end up with say another #2 overall pick, would we even want it given the enormous amount of money involved? In a year with a weak draft class (I'm speaking of the top 5 in rd 1 only), few teams if any, would be interested in moving up .. Thoughts?
    I think the only player would be Jimmy Claussen. I hate Notre Dame but he helped turn around a failing program with a coach in doubt. He can handle the big show, and has a pro arm.

Obvouisly the combine is a huge factor in draft status but the "IT" factor only lies in Classuen on offense as a #1 pick. I think Bowman from Penn State has this as well, but a LB isn't a #1 pick.

cheers

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

I have to strongly disagree this going to be a deep draft, because most of the great juniors are going to come out to avoid the rookie cap. When it comes to super elite talent look at the 2 DTs Suh of Nebraska and McCoy of Oklahoma.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

QB: Clausen (maybe Bradford)
    HB: N/a so far
    FB: N/a
    WR: Maybe Dez Bryant and Damian Williams
    TE: N/a
    LT: Russell Okung (maybe Bruce Campbell)
    LG: N/a
    C: N/a
    RG: N/a
    RT: N/a
    DE: Unlikely but still possible Greg Hardy
    DT: Ndamukong Suh (maybe McCoy)
    OLB: N/a
    MLB: N/a
    CB: Joe Haden
    FS: No brainer. Eric Berry.
    SS: N/a
    K: N/a
    P: N/a

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

In hindsight, one could argue that any QB who ends up being a first tier starter would be worth a No. 1 overall pick.

For example, if Drew Brees, who was taken in the second round, had been the first pick in the draft, would anyone argue he was not worth it? How about Ben Roethlisberger? How about Kurt Warner?

The real issue is that there is no clear #1 QB since Bradford was injured. Instead, you have a group of four or five guys who all seem pretty close. Whoever takes a QB early in the first round will have to be very careful in evaluating each player, as taking the wrong QB early is a huge setback for franchise.

As for other position players, its a bit early to tell. For example, you list Jake Long as a clear choice at number 1 overall. However, at this time of year in his Senior season, he was not regarded as such. There will be a lot of scouting, timing and testing before the cream rises to the top.