diehard99 is offline Registered User

QUESTION-Draft only defense?

Would it kill us to draft only defensive and special teams players this April?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: QUESTION-Draft only defense?

Quote Originally Posted by diehard99 View Post
    I think that depends on what we do with free agency.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Ya we defiantly need some O-line help, a developmental QB and maybe another playmaker on offense

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Tell me, who would we draft?

Let's see.
    We could get a MLB, a CB, a SS, a DE, a DT. That's basically it.

I really don't want to waste extra picks on the defense when our offense also needs a lot of work.

And as laram0 said, it also depends on BD's actions in the free agency.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

I don't think the Rams will do that, but I would love it if they drafted only defensive players in the first 4 rounds. We could sign a decent center in free agency, and resign Bartell and Atogwe.

I'm thinking we could go:

1- BJ Raji
    2- William Moore
    3- Clay Matthews/Gerald McRath
    4- Scott McKillop

That could give us a very solid defense if we move Carriker back to end

Carriker-Ryan-Raji-Long

Matthews/McRath-McKillop-Witherspoon

Bartell-Atogwe-Moore-Hill/King/Wade

Interesting idea "ISTILLBELIEVE", but what about Pisa? And I thought that I might be the only one considering moving Carriker back to his more natural position. Mathews might be one of this years big "sleepers".

Carriker seems that he is too slow to be a DE now. IMO, he lacks the speed to rush the quarterback.

Mckillop most likely won't be available at the fourth. If he is, we better take him. I wouldn't mind us taking defensive players in the first four rounds, but like I said, it all depends on what we do in the FA. We still need major upgrades in the OT, C and FB positions. Even guard.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Carriker seems that he is too slow to be a DE now. IMO, he lacks the speed to rush the quarterback.

Mckillop most likely won't be available at the fourth. If he is, we better take him. I wouldn't mind us taking defensive players in the first four rounds, but like I said, it all depends on what we do in the FA. We still need major upgrades in the OT, C and FB positions. Even guard.
    Carriker ran a 4.87 forty at 297 pounds in the combine and now he is 308 pounds...if we can get him to drop 10 pounds (maybe more) he will have decent speed and very good strength for a defensive end.

According to WalterFootball, McKillop is a 4-5th round prospect right now, so that is why I believe we could grab him there.

And I believe center is more of a need than tackle right now. IF Pace can stay healthy he would be an average left tackle, and I have not completely quit on Alex Barron. If he can reduce the penalties he could also be a mid level RT. Of course we will eventually have to address our left tackle of the future.

Greco, Bell, and Incognito all could be solid guards, but center we have the most problems. So I wouldn't mind not drafting Matthews in the 3rd and taking Luigs or Caldwell.

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    I don't think the Rams will do that, but I would love it if they drafted only defensive players in the first 4 rounds. We could sign a decent center in free agency, and resign Bartell and Atogwe.

I'm thinking we could go:

1- BJ Raji
    2- William Moore
    3- Clay Matthews/Gerald McRath
    4- Scott McKillop

That could give us a very solid defense if we move Carriker back to end

Carriker-Ryan-Raji-Long

Matthews/McRath-McKillop-Witherspoon

Bartell-Atogwe-Moore-Hill/King/Wade

So what ur trying to say is start 4 rookies while we have our veteren leaders on the bench. Little still has 2 years left in him. Tinoisamoa is not going to be benced for a rookie.

But william Moore is right

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    So what ur trying to say is start 4 rookies while we have our veteren leaders on the bench. Little still has 2 years left in him. Tinoisamoa is not going to be benced for a rookie.

But william Moore is right
    No that is not what I am saying. They will be rotated in and out, and that is the fantasy lineup for the future, not for next year. If we do that draft hopefully McKillop and Matthews would get playing time, but I wouldn't expect our 3rd and 4th round picks to be starting their first year.

Since I originally was the one who started this thread I thought I might jump back in. I wanted to know if we were comitted to actually building a better defense or just picking up a few good players. We must change our position as an offensive minded team to that of defense! How many times do you remember us bringing in offensive players and then playing them in another position. But weve been doing that with DEF. players for years now. Spoon,Carriker,Chavous,even Long(who was a LDE in college). And these Ive mentioned were just this years starters. IStillBelieve has got the right idea. We need run stuffers, situational pass rushers and guys with highly productive careers. Carriker can play LDE and Little LDE on passing downs like when LOVIE coached the defense. That year (2001) we actually stopped the run and got to the Quar. too. Draft a sit. pass rush. to play RDE on passing downs and Long can move inside. Carriker-rookie NT-Ryan-Long on base DEF. downs. IStillBelieve is right about Spags rotating his D Line players.

Quote Originally Posted by iStillBelieve View Post
    Carriker ran a 4.87 forty at 297 pounds in the combine and now he is 308 pounds...if we can get him to drop 10 pounds (maybe more) he will have decent speed and very good strength for a defensive end.

According to WalterFootball, McKillop is a 4-5th round prospect right now, so that is why I believe we could grab him there.

And I believe center is more of a need than tackle right now. IF Pace can stay healthy he would be an average left tackle, and I have not completely quit on Alex Barron. If he can reduce the penalties he could also be a mid level RT. Of course we will eventually have to address our left tackle of the future.

Greco, Bell, and Incognito all could be solid guards, but center we have the most problems. So I wouldn't mind not drafting Matthews in the 3rd and taking Luigs or Caldwell.
    Walterfootball probably was also one of the sites that had Tatupu going in the fourth. He ended up in the second. Not saying anything bad about Walterfootball, as I go there too, but you can't always believe only one site.

Plus, Mckillop's stock has been rising recently, but as I have not witnessed the Senior Bowl, I don't know how well he played.

I have to disagree with us needing a center more than a tackle. When Romberg went back in as center, our line played almost decently. It showed that maybe Romberg could handle the load maybe, but we would still need to bring in a young rookie to eventually start. As for tackle, Pace is a decent tackle when he is HEALTHY. Pace is getting more injury prone every year, and he's losing his quickness. He's probably going to retire soon.

As for Barron, we keep on saying that we haven't quit on Barron, Barron still has potential...etc. The truth is, Barron really hasn't done much to convince me that we should still have hope for him. Maybe with the new staff coming in, and with some new coaching and guidance Barron could get back on track. But I kind of doubt it.

McRath is also kind of small, so I agree that picking a center in the third would be better. As I've said, Mckillop should be taken into consideration here because he could be most likely gone by the time we roll into our fourth round pick. Ron Brace is also a possibility here.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

It might not kill us, but it probably would kill Marc Bulger.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Walterfootball probably was also one of the sites that had Tatupu going in the fourth. He ended up in the second. Not saying anything bad about Walterfootball, as I go there too, but you can't always believe only one site.

Plus, Mckillop's stock has been rising recently, but as I have not witnessed the Senior Bowl, I don't know how well he played.
    I'm only through two days of Senior Bowl broadcasts on NFLN, but I'm not impressed so far.

As a Big East fan and WVU alum, I've had the chance to see McKillop a few times. I've previously said that I feel McKillop is slightly overrated by Rams fans desperate for a MLB. I don't think he has great athletic skill and I question how well he translates to the next level.

To me, he seems like a guy who really excelled at the college level but will have problems competing with better talent in the NFL. As of right now, I probably wouldn't take him higher than the fourth round. Not because there isn't a chance he could turn into a player, but I just have a hard time justifying a higher grade on a guy that just doesn't seem to have the strength and athleticism you want to see.

Russ Lande of Sporting News graded McKillop as one of his Senior Bowl losers, saying that McKillop "struggled athletically" and that he "fell from a third- or fourth-round prospect to a sixth- or seventh-rounder." I'm not sure if I'd go that far, as I still have DVR'd practices to watch. But I saw more that paralleled Lande's sentiment than countered it.