MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Question on Saffold's salary if he were to stay

My question is there a way to project a comparison of what it would cost to keep Saffold as opposed to drafting Jake Matthews at the #2 spot?

Last year the Jags drafted Luke Joeckel at the #2 spot and gave him a sighing bonus of $13,799,344 as part of a 4 year contract worth a total of $21,201,598.

This year the number 2 overall should be a little higher. It seems that signing Rodger at 5.5 mil over 4 years would be in the same ballpark. The signing bonus would probably be the sticky part. Thoughts?

Sure would be nice to sign them both.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Question on Saffold's salary if he were to stay

Well, as far as I remember, we'd save around 3M without Wells and about 4M without Dahl, so signing a guard for somewhere around 5M or so would not be bad, so long as we can count on him in terms of skill and durability. Saffold was a very good team player this year and swapped not only to RT but then inside as well. It showed that he has versatility and can play maybe 4 positions on the line. With our depth issues,that is probably more important than anything else.

The issue I see is whether or not he might be able to get more elsewhere than in St. Louis. Having not looked into the FA market yet, I'd probably say no, if only because he has never been really consistent and our FA darlings from last year, Amendola and Jackson didn't exactly set the world on fire for their new teams.

I put it at 40% that Saffold is in horns next year. He wants to go play tackle.
    I believe!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Safford is dang decent.......when he plays. I think some team in need, I include the Rams in this, will over pay him. I reference Amendola and SJ as examples of productive players that couldn't stay on the field but garnered decent FA interest.

If they want him, the Rams need to make their best offer period and live with it. I think he ends up some where with a 6M yr contract over 5 years MINIMUM.
    Semper Fi!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    ... It seems that signing Rodger at 5.5 mil over 4 years would be in the same ballpark. ...

Sure would be nice to sign them both.
    I think 5.5M over 4 years is a gross underestimate of what it will take to retain Saffold.

As for signing them both... Yes it would! But I can't shake the feeling there will be other "true" FA guards available that will not break the bank near as Saffold would. Are the Rams willing to pay Saffold tackle money in order to play guard? Personally, I doubt it, but a lot will depend upon what the FA market looks like and how this year's OG and OT draft class looks. I'm a little behind in that dept.

Anybody have a feeling on how deep (or not) the OL class is this year?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I think 5.5M over 4 years is a gross underestimate of what it will take to retain Saffold.

As for signing them both... Yes it would! But I can't shake the feeling there will be other "true" FA guards available that will not break the bank near as Saffold would. Are the Rams willing to pay Saffold tackle money in order to play guard? Personally, I doubt it, but a lot will depend upon what the FA market looks like and how this year's OG and OT draft class looks. I'm a little behind in that dept.

Saffold is rated 6th among 30 free agent OTs according to Rotoworld. Not sure how deep the talent is, but there's five Tackles rated higher than Saffold.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -01-10-2014 at 03:32 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Rotoworld huh?

The best guard last year signed a $39 million over 5 years contract with $10.5 guaranteed.
    Second best guard earned $23.5 over 4 and $13.5 guaranteed.

I'd say since he can play tackle very well and is a quality performing guard, $35 million over 5 is attainable for Roger. Bushrod got almost $36 million over 5 years.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Saffold is rated 6th among 30 free agent OTs according to Rotoworld. Not sure how deep the talent is, but there's five Tackles rated higher than Saffold.
    That's Rotoworld's take, I'd love to know how the Rams rate the FA OTs. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If there is an OT or G prospect in the 2014 draft that Fish/Snead perceive as a beast who can contribute right away, it'd be cheaper to let Rodger walk. On the other hand, when he is healthy, Saffold is a pretty good player, and versatile to boot. Either way, I suspect the decision has already been made ..

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Unless they find a better replacement than Jones or Barnes, the Rams might keep Wells, who has played well when healthy.

You are close to what Saffold will command on the open market, but all it takes is one team to drive that price way up. This is one of those times where they have to set a price, and not go above it.

I don't think the Rams will end up drafting 2nd, so the contract they pay their guy at say 6th, would be a bit less that the #2 slot.

Whoever you pick high becomes one of the highest paid at the position, so it's better to take positions like OT, CB, QB, DE, where the top players ALL are very highly paid, than the lower paid positions
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Whoever you pick high becomes one of the highest paid at the position, so it's better to take positions like OT, CB, QB, DE, where the top players ALL are very highly paid, than the lower paid positions
    Only in guaranteed money, and that's only because those top contracts are for four years now and are fully guaranteed. Look at Eric Fisher's contract from last year; I'm not sure it's even among the Top 20 contracts for OT when ranked by total value or average per year.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post

If your talking about the draft it's very deep...

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    If your talking about the draft it's very deep...
    I am. And thanks.