Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Greg M is offline Registered User

Re: Question: Is there a scenario where the Rams take a QB first overall?

I agree with your hypothesis Nick. I think it makes a lot of sense. Though I would also be concerned about a situation where the Redskins move up with the Lions to get their QB in front of the Rams. In which case, the Rams are sitting at #3 with no Suh or franchise QB ( though i believe mcCoy or Berry are excellent consolation prizes)..

I could see a similar situation happening where the Rams go ahead and take Suh.. then if the QB is still available come the Bucs pick, the Rams could barter with the Bucs for picks. Assuming at that point that the Rams have Suh and the Lions have McCoy, the Rams would hold all the leverage against TB if they want their franchise DT. Worst case scenario: we dont get the offer we want and we keep Suh, the best player in the draft.

I also think one thing that needs to be examined (granted it cant really be done now, pre-FA/combine), is the Buccaneer's safety situation. Eric Berry is considered by many to be the #1 or #2 player in the draft.. so maybe they would prefer just taking him instead of trading picks away for a DT? Its gunna be an interesting offseason

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I really dont see Tampa trading up. They are a rebuilding team aswell, and they could use the second and third rounder they would have to give up to get Suh to draft some more young talent. When staying at pick 3, Tampa has a shot at one of Suh, McCoy or Berry, and i think they would be happy with either of those players.

I know everyone is saying that the Bucs once had a dominant tackle in Sapp so may want another. But if you watched the Bucs play this season, they had issues with safety play all year. Sabby Piscitelli was picked on regularly and the Bucs need an upgrade there. Tanard Jackson was suspended for the first four games of the season and Jermaine Phillips, who was being converted to LB, was poor in filling in. Eric Berry at number 3 is a very logical pick for the Bucs. They get a top player without giving up any other picks, and its at a position of need for them.

The Bucs also need upgrades at positions such as Wide Receiver and Linebacker, and it couldnt hurt to improve the OL and DL. So giving up three picks in the first three rounds to draft one player doesnt seem likely.

Also, i have to point out that the last time the Rams traded down in the first, they moved down from 11th to 15th, picking up a third rounder in the process. But after moving down they missed out on the chance to draft guys like Jay Cutler and Haloti Ngata, and picked Tye Hill instead. Instead of staying at 11 and picking the best player available, the team moved down to a position where they could pick a player they wanted at a position of need instead without it being a reach. This is effectively what is being talked about when you talk about trading down at the top of the 2010 draft. Instead of staying where you are and taking the best player available, we are talking about moving down and taking a player at a position of supposed greater need. We paid the price for that move in 2006, as Tye Hill didnt pan out and the third round pick was wasted, and in hindsight everyone regrets that move. Granted i have more faith in Spags and Devaney to draft well compared to the previous regimes, but passing on the best guy in the draft seems like something we will regret for years.

Of course that depends on Suh being considered the best guy in the draft, but as we talk right now, he is.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have a hard time believing that, even if the Rams fall in love with one of the top QBs, they'd just take one with the first pick without at least trying to trade down with Detroit or Tampa. As you said, those two teams are not a threat to take a QB with the first pick, having both spend first round selections on a QB last year (of course, it is at least possible that the Rams could trade to #3 and some other team could then trade up to get to the second spot to beat the Rams to the punch).

The tougher issue is... what if neither team bites? Do the Rams still go with the QB or do they then go with Suh? Not sure.
    Yeah, for example, a lot of the mock drafts that have us trading with Tampa are truly awesome...for us. It's not necessarily unfair for Tampa but the trade(s) certainly don't favor the Bucs either. I'm not really sure how all of it works out, I know there's a points system and I'm assuming the mock drafts are accurate but I just don't see Tampa making those types of deals. Sure would be great though.

If we're stuck at #1 I think Suh at this point is our safest bet. If we want quality players, it starts with that guy at #1.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

OK, I've got one.

Tampa Bay and Detroit, not wanting to pay the salary a #1 overall pick would demand, but both teams also wanting one of the two DTs, both offer St Louis a pick, say a 2 from Detroit and a 2 from Tampa Bay, for the Rams to go ahead and select a QB <or just to not select one of the two top DTs>, thus leaving both DTs on the board for the following two teams to both get a DT and get out without paying the higher quaranteed salary. Detroit in this scenario most likely ends up with Suh. McCoy to TB, and TB doesn't have the #1 type $ invested to boot.

A win win, for Tampa and Detroit, thus making the RAMs season officially 1-16.
    Semper Fi!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Here’s the question: Is there a scenario in which the Rams take a quarterback with the first overall pick in this draft?
    Not a chance ..

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    In order for this to happen, the Rams MUST do something worth noting in the free agency period and bring in a viable QB to St. Louis. The problem last year was that everyone and their grandmother knew the Rams were going to go OT with the second pick because they had done nothing to justify going in any other direction (even if Sanchez was a particularly tempting choice).
    You bring up some very good points. However, I don't think Tampa can just sit by and call our bluff, unwilling to trade if they think the Rams will take a QB. Because even if the Rams don't go out and make a big move at QB this offseason, I think there's still a strong chance they go Suh first overall. Does Tampa risk that? Maybe they do, if they covet Berry as well. But it's a risky spot for Tampa, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The tougher issue is... what if neither team bites? Do the Rams still go with the QB or do they then go with Suh? Not sure.
    Tough question. Ultimately it probably depends on who the Rams have chosen as their pick, which they'll likely know before draft day rolls around.

If they've decided on Suh, then trade talks are probably moot unless a mega-deal is offered.

If they've decided on a QB, I think getting something in a trade down with Tampa is vital. I think the chances of Tampa offering the Rams nothing is very, very slim. Maybe it's not as good of an offer as the Rams would like, but I have to think Tampa offers something.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    I could see a similar situation happening where the Rams go ahead and take Suh.. then if the QB is still available come the Bucs pick, the Rams could barter with the Bucs for picks. Assuming at that point that the Rams have Suh and the Lions have McCoy, the Rams would hold all the leverage against TB if they want their franchise DT. Worst case scenario: we dont get the offer we want and we keep Suh, the best player in the draft.
    The worst case scenario isn't that we keep Suh. The worst case scenario is we've just drafted a guy first overall who now thinks we don't even want him and just wanted to use him as bait to get someone else. That's a horrible way to start off, IMO, so I wouldn't draft a guy with the intention of trying to deal the rights to him.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I really dont see Tampa trading up. They are a rebuilding team aswell, and they could use the second and third rounder they would have to give up to get Suh to draft some more young talent.
    They wouldn't necessarily have to give up a second and third round pick to move up. Maybe the Rams would just accept a second round pick. Or maybe a third this year and a third next year. I'm not saying the Rams should move down for something as low as a sixth round pick, but at the same time, if they've made up their mind on taking a QB, they may not feel it's necessary to completely fleece Tampa in the process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12