throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: question for you

vanillasue is offline Registered User

question for you

Something tells me that Fisher and Snead love Khalil Mack and will take him with our first pick - after a trade down of course.

Does anyone know how good this guy is ? he is supposed to be both an awesome blitz and cover LB along the lines of Von Miller. Is he really that good ?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: question for you

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Something tells me that Fisher and Snead love Khalil Mack
    out of curiosity, what gives you that feeling?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    out of curiosity, what gives you that feeling?
    I'm thinking the same thing. As far as I know Snead nor Fisher have an affinity for LBs. What I mean by that is Fish likes building up his DL but haven't had a lot of attention put on his linebackers. So far the attention on the defensive side of things has been secondary, Clowney, even Donald.

Granted there was early talk of taking a linebacker but its been quiet as of late. So I too am curious about it. I don't know a lot about Mack other then people think highly of him and he did fantastic at the combine.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If the Rams are looking to run the base defense in all situations next year, well it makes sense. Right now we have four starting quality guys on the line, two starters at LB, and two or three starters in the secondary(depends on if you count Tru Johnson as a starter). That's 8 or 9 of 11, where the holes are at FS, CB and in my opinion SLB, because Ogletree shouldn't leave the field and is certainly rangy enough to play passing downs in coverage.

So, where does that leave us? Well, if we're planning on blitzing five with regularity(like some believe WIlliams will have us doing), then we either are looking for a rush linebacker(like Mack or Barr) or a blitzing, box safety type and hope that McDonald can play deep, or hope that Dix or Pryor is the second coming of Polamalu and can play both the LOS and deep coverage on the same play(I vote this option!).

So, I see where the fit could be with Mack, but it still does not address our blatant issues on the back end. The lack of a successful pursuit of a Safety or a CB so far also seems to signal that we're looking towards the draft for starters back there. You can get away with hiding your CB's to some degree if you can run your base offense in a cover two scheme and rely on your linebackers to cover well in those intermediate and deep center zones, but otherwise, you're going to be needing three starters and a good fourth CB and we certainly don't have that yet.

I guess it depends on what we're going to do, and Mack does seem to fit the Williams' attack model. Personally, I'd rather shore up the back end with starters because we already have the best pash rush in the league, we just need to stop the balls that do get out.
    Rambos and MauiRam like this.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Something tells me that Fisher and Snead love Khalil Mack and will take him with our first pick - after a trade down of course.

Does anyone know how good this guy is ? he is supposed to be both an awesome blitz and cover LB along the lines of Von Miller. Is he really that good ?
    To answer your question, yes, he is supposed to be a great prospect. He is terrific at all phases of the game (Rushing, coverage). And yes, he does fare well compared to Von Miller.

THE DREAM TEAM

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Is he better in coverage than Alec Ogletree?

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

I live in Columbus and go to Ohio State and ever since Week 1, Aug. 31, of the college football season I have been saying the Rams should look at two prospects; LB-Alex Mack and WR-Alex Neutz of Buffalo. Mack almost single-handily beat Ohio State and Neutz went through the OSU defense like poop through a diarrhea infected goose. After watching them play, I would love the move to draft one of these guys.
    Unspoken likes this.

chiguy is online now Registered User

We should totally draft him. If we're changing to a 3-4.

Unspoken is offline Registered User

Yeap Mack off the board with the Dunbar signing.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    We should totally draft him. If we're changing to a 3-4.
    Yet to read that do you have a link?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Mack is rated as the best prospect in the draft by former scout Mike Mayock, and everyone has him as a top 5, and maybe even first overall if Houston passes on a QB.

No one knew for sure where he fit, calling him a "tweener" because of the lack of tape on the Buffalo player.

However, at the combine he blew everyone away, as Von Miller did. He is as fast as Miller and as big, but he covers better, "Like a Safety" according to Mayock.

He has huge hands, a great motor and every game he played in, he was the best player on the field, including a 2 1/2 sack, pick 6 day against Ohio State.

For what it's worth, because the Rams probably will not take a tackle first, and the fact that JoLonn Dunbar was moved to "sam" last year and isn't a starter, leaving the Rams with Ray Ray Armstrong as their present starting 'will" LB, I have an idea that he could be a Gregg Williams monster the Rams haven't had at LB since Leonard Little.

Mack would not come off the field if they did ever use a nickel, because Laurinaitis would, like most MLB do.

I don't see soft nickel and dime coverages from Williams. He will lead the NFL in blitzes, like nothing we have seen.

They can make shoever is at DB far better with another great pass rusher out there, that also is a great all around LB. He can play ANY LB position in ANY defense,as well as being a situational pass rusher, which he would NOT be here.

Mack is the biggest impact player in the draft, because WR , even realy good ones , don't usually tear up their first year.

Receivers may see the ball, even be part of the play 1/3 of the time on offense, where a K. Mack can cause havok for every defensive snap.

He will create turnovers, and get a bunch himself, and imagie tring to block Quinn and Mack coming off the same side.

So yes, talent wise he is as good as Von Miller, Patrick Willis, or any great 4-3 OLB we've seen in awhile. he compares to DeMarcus Ware as a pure athlete, but with better coverage skills.

I'm sure he will blow Les Snead, Fisher and Williams away when he works out, if he hasn't yet, and a workout like that got Brian Quick, Tavon Auston, Stedman Bailey, Michael Brockers, and Alec Ogletree drafted early.

The Rams seem intent on not taking a receiver first, and are looking at veterans, as they will second and third and fourth round picks for a value and a fit.

They are going to do what they did at the end of last year, run the ball, play ball control and field position, and play great defense and ST.

Bringing in Williams is a big indication of how Fisher wants to win, the same way the Seahawks do.

If ANYONE is going to get some weapons in this draft, it won't be Schotty. He'll get some young OL help early enough, but Ithink they are looking defense first and early.

You can't get two thinks for defense in FA without a ridiculous cost in cap money, pass rushers and cornerbacks.

That's where the Rams will be looking early, and since they don't need DE, but DO need OLB badly, it makes sense that they would go after the ONLY impact guy at that position. Mosely is also good , but he isn't the explosive guy Mack is.

Again, once he showed he can play 4-3 OLB, withe verything else, he moved up on everyones' list.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Khalil Mack
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

And as far as CB, they can maybe get Justin Gilbert at #13 , or they could get a K. Fuller, or maybe R. Roby in early round two.

I can't see them taking a safety at #13, because they clearly don't value the position.

Again, Mack has proven to be far mor e than a "rush" LB.

You can take Mack after a trade down to 6, then come back with Gilbert or Taylor Lewan at #13, then take FS Jimmie Ward and either OL or CB in rd two, depending which way round one went.

You just don't pass up a disruptive player like Mack to draft a safety, or even a corner in this crop.

If you pass on the OT first, and also the WR, the only one left in the top top tier is Mack.
    Barry Waller

Dave2oo2 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    or maybe R. Roby
    As I said before, I live in Columbus and go to OSU games and the Rams need to stay away from Roby. He is a work out warrior but is really bad with zone coverage and man coverage; other than that he is great. If you look back at OSU tape, he gets owned by most WR he plays against. I really don't think the Rams should go after him, but that is just my two cents.
    Mikey likes this.

chiguy is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Yet to read that do you have a link?
    I was joking…just trying to fit 4 linebackers on the field. We're not changing our base defense. Sorry for the confusion.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Mack would make a lot of sense if the Rams had a need for another pass rusher (they don't), lacked an every down OLB (they don't), or didn't have a highly paid and effective MLB that played in passing situations (they do).

With those things in mind, I don't think Mack makes a ton of sense. But he is exceptionally talented, so the Rams may be tempted to grab him and figure out how to make it work later.

I'd feel better about them doing that with Mack than with Clowney, given that I don't think Mack is as risky.
    TekeRam likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast