Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Questions About Mike Evans

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Questions About Mike Evans

While I see Evans as a good fit for the Rams, if he works out as well as he played in some games this year, however, to be obhective I have to examine his season and see if I have any lingering doubts about his pro potential. This is the same thing the scouts do. Nothing scares a GM more than everyone agreeing on a guy with no one having really looked hard for SOME flaw to explore in depth, and eliminate if possible.

The stuff that can't is called risk, and the draft is all about weighing risks on less than perfect athletes.

On the surface, Evans went from nowhere to pretty good to great in two years, but first and formost, we must look at the offense that he moved into, one of the nation's best, with lots of weapons to prevent lots of double coverage on one guy like Evans.

His last 6 games, after a monster effort against Auburn, Evans was very average, with just 3 TDs, none the last three games. So when needed to shine most, Evans mostly disappeared.

Why is that? Is there an injury we are not aware of, or was it the extra attention he got after toasting Auburn on National TV?

Sometimes season stats can be misleading, so lets take out Evans worst and best two games each and see how the rest looks.

What it looks like is an average receiver in such a potent offense, with these numbers for nine games. 45 catches, 793 yards, and 7 Tds.

Not first round numbers to be sure, and the kind of numbers that make me want to really look a bit harder at Evans as a guy worthy of pick 13.

He sure looks the part, but these questions need to be answered nonetheless.

Gil Brandt said he thought Evans should have stayed in school, and Gil kind of knows his stuff in evaluating players.

Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Questions About Mike Evans

Not first round numbers to be sure, and the kind of numbers that make me want to really look a bit harder at Evans as a guy worthy of pick 13.
    But what is was, 1394 yards 12 TD and 20 yard per catch and that does look like a first round pick.
    I have my concerns... he's young only a sophomore, immature at times. He does not run the best routes. But he can grow up and become a great route runner. He can use his size day one and have success. He has good hands and will only get better as a football player. All rookies have to get better as route runners in the NFL but not all have his size to win the battle for the ball.
    Randart likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    But what is was, 1394 yards 12 TD and 20 yard per catch and that does look like a first round pick.
    I have my concerns... he's young only a sophomore, immature at times. He does not run the best routes. But he can grow up and become a great route runner. He can use his size day one and have success. He has good hands and will only get better as a football player. All rookies have to get better as route runners in the NFL but not all have his size to win the battle for the ball.
    One thing he has is size, and you can't teach size
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I'd beg to differ. Brian Quick has size but he doesn't know how to use it.. Anquan Boldin isn't very big at all but wins 90% of jump balls and contested throws. So I do believe you can "teach" size.

THE DREAM TEAM

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd beg to differ. Brian Quick has size but he doesn't know how to use it.. Anquan Boldin isn't very big at all but wins 90% of jump balls and contested throws. So I do believe you can "teach" size.
    I don't think that's as much a matter of "teaching size" at it is Boldin winning with experience and aggression - neither of which Quick has.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Evans could definitely add a dimension we lack. I look forward to seeing him run the 40. If he runs below a 4.55, he'll remain on my short list for the #13 pick.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-19-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    Unspoken" likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I don't think that's as much a matter of "teaching size" at it is Boldin winning with experience and aggression - neither of which Quick has.
    Aggression, elevation, and attacking the ball at it's highest point, as well as a decent set of hands.. That's what "size" is. And I disagree on the Boldin point.

Golden Tate seems to have NO trouble playing big and winning jump balls yet he's not even 6'0 and has been in the league for 3 years..

THE DREAM TEAM

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post

I was gonna make a comment-- but its probably not appropriate

punahou is offline Registered User

what Boldin doesnt have in height, I believe he has in weight. So his size is his 220 lbs of Girth rather than Length.

richtree is offline Registered User

combine very important for Evans....there are 4 "big and tall" WRs many thinking Evans should go first of the bunch.....His combine workouts will verify if he has something more than the rest of them, or if he has less and Manziel and the scheme built him into the 1st round..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's my take on Evans or any other receiver in the upcoming draft.

We already have a project on our hands. Brian Quick is heading into year 3 and hopefully he's ready to make an impact.

I'm not interested in another "project" receiver. If a kid in the draft isn't pro ready I say pass. Look at another need or take the BPA.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    what Boldin doesnt have in height, I believe he has in weight. So his size is his 220 lbs of Girth rather than Length.
    Weight has nothing to do with winning contested passes or jump balls.. Also, that's only one example. What about Golden Tate?

THE DREAM TEAM

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Weight has nothing to do with winning contested passes or jump balls.. Also, that's only one example. What about Golden Tate?
    Weight could really help, when you're trying to catch a jump ball you can use your body as a shield between the ball and the defender, a big body help that. You can absorb bigger hit while not moving a lot, it helps to catch the ball properly. You see those big TE catch ball over the middle, take a big hit and being "almost immobile".
    RealRam likes this.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Torry Holt View Post
    Weight could really help, when you're trying to catch a jump ball you can use your body as a shield between the ball and the defender, a big body help that. You can absorb bigger hit while not moving a lot, it helps to catch the ball properly. You see those big TE catch ball over the middle, take a big hit and being "almost immobile".
    It's true, weight can be useful if the receiver knows how to use it to his advantage, like several successful TE's do that are in the 6-2, 6-3 range.

Basketball is a different sport but, again, sometimes a heavy 6-8" center will out rebound / out play a slimmer 7-2" man by virtue of pushing / muscling him out of the way.

Still, I'd like a good Evans or, a good Benjamin to be well coached by the Rams.
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-20-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Benjamin
    Torry Holt likes this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

I see Mike Evans fitting the Alshon Jeffery mold. While he doesn't have that speed everyone raves about, he's a good strider and will use his body and concentration to catch tightly contested balls. He'll complement Bradford by moving the chains in short yardage situations as well as win most jump balls against smaller corners. Having a receiver with those skillsets will complement Austin, Givens, and Bailey if him and Quick can tire out the corners for them to make big plays through separation.
    Randart and Unspoken" like this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast