Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Questions About Mike Evans

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: Questions About Mike Evans

Evans,Benjamin, Wadkins-- whoever-- just get us a legit #1 WR

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

<<I don't think that's as much a matter of "teaching size" at it is Boldin winning with experience and aggression - neither of which Quick has.>>

Boldin did it as a rookie, and I have to see more of Quick, because the passes i see them throwing that are jump balls are mostly O.B. overthrown, especially by Clemens, who can't throw the fade at all, to ANYONE.

Mostly, a QB throwing contested jump balls is gonna see a LOT of them picked off, like Kaepernick did last Sunday, and not many caught, and the Rams don't really do that much, Bradford preferring to find someone more OPEN.

Those kind of plays usually only happen in desperatuion time, and the Rams hope they will have few games in that 4th quarter mode, where you are behind .
    Barry Waller

Again, I do like Evans, from what I see with my own eyes, especially against Alabama and Auburn, but I do want to know what happened the last six games he played.

How he works out determines hom much I like him, and how high I would go to draft him.

As far as his 'attitude' on the field. I see that as a plus for this division.
    Barry Waller

<<Evans,Benjamin, Wadkins-- whoever-- just get us a legit #1 WR>>

First of all what IS a #1, your definition. Is it just a guy who can catch 100 balls?

Bailey AND Austin could do that, and HAVE done that in college.

Is it ability to make the big play? Givens, Bailey and Austin can do that.

Is it all around play, that you can block, go deep, or also catch a tough slant?

Pettis and Quick can do that.

You cannot look at ANY college WR and see for sure that he will be a superstar, not even Jerry Rice out of college, it took FOUR YEARS for Michael Irvin, Vincent Jackson or Tim Brown to do ANYTHING.

Would you have given up on them? I suspect so based on what I see here. Their first three years make Givens and Quick look like Jerry Rice.

The Rams can go to the playiffs, even a Super Bowl, by getting better protecting Bradford and running the ball, and by defending the pass better on third down, and by stuffing the run of SF and Seattle.

Adding another rookie WR might be nice, especially if you hit on the guy, but in 2014, it wouldn't win a game for you, because the rookie would not play over Austin, Bailey, and Givens for quite awhile. He'd be a situational guy perhaps, but would not have the impact some better O-linemen and D-backs would have on winning.
    Barry Waller

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    First of all what IS a #1, your definition.
    My definition of a #1 receiver is one that is reliable at the outside receiver position: one that can move the chains on 3rd down, catch intermediate throws behind linebackers, and go in stride with the deep ball consistently. He doesn't have to be fast, he just has to be versatile at the outside receiver position.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12