Dr. Defense is online now Registered User

Quick 4 round pre-free agency mock

1.16 D.J. Fluker
    I believe that with the performances of the other 3 OT at the combine in combination with the distinct lack of any true #1 offensive threats (there are plenty of quality guys, but no AJ Green or Trent Richardson) that there will be a run on quality offensive tackles. In this league you can never have too many talented tackles. As such, I believe that we will solve our RT problem and grab the best run grading offensive tackle in the draft. With him on one side and Saffold on the other, we will have a pair of quality bookends for years to come.

1.22 Tyler Eifert
    Tom Brady and the Patriots proved in the past two seasons that you do not need a group of high profile wide receivers to win anymore. New England likes to run two set tight ends and runs them successfully. The majority of his passes go to Gronk and Welker with Hernandez getting his fair share. We already have our Hernandez in Kendricks, so we grab our Gronk in Eifert.

2.16 Barrett Jones
    We already grabbed an Alabama lineman so let's grab another. I am not a fan of Scott Wells and I don't believe that he can remain healthy. In Jones we can grab our center for the future. If I am wrong and Wells can play for a few more seasons, then we simply plug him into LG and let him stay there for a few years until we move him over to center. His versatility to play any position on the offensive line is also a plus. He may have some injury concerns, but if everything checks out medically he could be an excellent selection. Also very important is his ability to play through his injuries.

3.16 Best safety available

4.16 Le'Veon Bell
    Regardless of if Steven Jackson comes back or not, he is starting to reach the end of his career. That is going to leave us with a hole at RB for a big bruising back. Enter Bell. He has the size and power to move the chains and take a few defenders with him. I would expect something the Giants did a few years ago, when they had a RB by committee with Jacobs/Bradshaw/Ward

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Quick 4 round pre-free agency mock

Even if we take an O-lineman with the 16th pick (which I'm not particularly any big fan of) I think we'd be better served taking Tavon Austin at 22 over Tyler Eifert. Reason being, he's a much better playmaker as a receiver, and he returns kicks. That to me, is much better value. Plus a playmaking TE namely Chris Gragg, can likely be had on the 3rd day.

And if we take an O-lineman in the 1st, there is no way I'd take another in the 2nd. First, I don't believe our line is that bad and secondly I don't believe Fisher would ever take an O-lineman in back to back rounds, particularly the 1st and 2nd.

Don't necessarily have a problem with a safety in the 3rd, but I don't believe we'll be drafting another RB this year, even if SJax leaves. I think Fisher will hand the reigns to Pead and Richardson first and foremost and Ganaway will get his shot. I'm sure we could sign another undrafted rookie or free agent if need be, to compeat with those three.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.