Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ram Bytes: Is WR Kenny Britt Worth A Chance

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Ram Bytes: Is WR Kenny Britt Worth A Chance

Ram Bytes: Is WR Kenny Britt worth a chance?

1 hour ago • Bernie Miklasz bjmiklasz@post-dispatch.com

I'm not entirely sure what to make of the Rams' free-agent interest in former Tennessee Titans wide receiver Kenny Britt. He's had off-field difficulties. He's been slowed and pulled down by knee injuries. His rate of production has steadily decreased. His catch rate is in decline. And over the past two seasons, Britt has dropped an alarming number of passes.

On the other hand: the Rams aren't exactly lining up the 1999-form Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Ricky Proehl and Az Hakim at wide receiver. At one point Britt was among the league's fastest receivers, and a feared deep-ball threat. That's no longer true unless Britt is sincerely motivated and capable of reviving his career.

Let's take a look at the numbers to note Britt's decline; all of them collected from the data at Pro Football Focus ...

Britt has an overall career catch rate of 56.2 percent, which isn't great. (Catch rate is simple: how many passing attempts targeted for a specific receiver end in a completion?) But over the past two seasons, Britt has a catch rate of 47.4 … and that catch rate was 33.3 percent last season. Over the past two seasons, when Tennessee quarterbacks targeted Britt, they had an awful passer rating of 66.5.

You may be thinking: isn't a lot of that on the Titans' quarterbacks? Is it fair to blame Britt? Good question. Here's the answer: Kendall Wright. Over the past two seasons the young Tennessee wideout has a catch rate of 69 percent, and Wright's quarterbacks have a passer rating of 90.2 when they target him.

Wright doesn't seem to have an issue connecting with Titans QBs.

OK, then what about this... isn't Britt a deep-route runner? And if he's running deeper routes _ 20 yards or longer -- won't his catch rate be lower? Well, yes and no. But again, other Tennessee receivers have had more success than Britt on deeper routes the past two seasons.

For instance, WR Nate Washington has caught 16 of 43 deep passes thrown to him, 5 for touchdowns. And over the same two-year period Britt caught only 6 of 27 deep passes aimed his way, one for a touchdown.

Anyway you want to measure it, Britt has slipped as a receiver. And that includes his 14 dropped passes over the past two seasons.

I'd imagine that Britt's mindset is an important factor in his comeback. He's still young, turning 26 this fall. So I'd have to assume Britt's speed is still there.

Is Britt fully committed to maximizing his talent by working hard at conditioning and preparation? Can Britt be trusted? I don't know him. So I have no idea. But Rams coach Jeff Fisher knows Britt; he drafted and coached him at Tennessee. I suppose this depends on the price; I can't imagine the Rams would gamble substantial guaranteed money on a contract with the risky Britt. But if the price is right, Britt is worth a try. If he's hungry, the Rams could benefit.

Several NFL teams have interest in Britt, who seems to be enjoying his shopping trip for a team. At least it seemed that way on his Twitter account. "the whole world wanna know where Kenny Britt going," Britt tweeted earlier this week. "I'm like homie just wait on it ... Lol."

Earlier, before he began making free-agent visits, Britt tweeted this: "Dear Lord, I ask for wisdom as I travel to these teams in the next few days. Put me and my family in a place that's covered in your love"

Thanks for reading...

— Bernie

kman is offline Registered User

Re: Ram Bytes: Is WR Kenny Britt Worth A Chance

1 year 2million prove it deal..add incentive if he catsches over 60 balls, another 500k
    Haste likes this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    1 year 2million prove it deal..add incentive if he catsches over 60 balls, another 500k
    Safest 500k bet ever for the Rams. Personally I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near StL other than the visitors locker room. One of the most over rated free agents of the year.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

"Yes".......

THE DREAM TEAM

chiguy is offline Registered User

We don't really need another WR with bad hands. Do we?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

All these trips without a signed contract says to me that he went into it with a particular dollar amount in his head, and no team is matching that number. Now, he has to figure out which team will get the closest.

Not unlike many WRs, dude has over-estimated his value.
    chiguy, mde8352gorams and Mikey like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    All these trips without a signed contract says to me that he went into it with a particular dollar amount in his head, and no team is matching that number. Now, he has to figure out which team will get the closest.

Not unlike many WRs, dude has over-estimated his value.
    He is #1 WR on the market at this time. Played injured some, and his catch rate is not ideal, but he was only player that went over the middle for the last 3 seasons in Titan land (not named Jared Cook)....

You all are crazy if you think your getting him for super-cheap.....He has more upside than Hakeem Nicks and his deal will be similar to Nicks, unless you add years.....

No way around it he had a bad year last season, but a lot of that was due to the fact that the coach didn't want to play him knowing that he wouldn't be back next season....

Britt would immaturely walk in and be our best WR, He also blocks which most of our current WRs don't do a good job with.....

Pettis is a WR #5 and Quick doesn't look like he should be in NFL.....

Austin is hybrid leaving us with Bailey as our outside option....with Givens and Veltung......

Givens is nothing more than a 9 pattern guy that could only work if you already have 3 legit pass catchers...

If not Britt, it will be draft picks.....so hopefully we can help ourselves because the NFC west defenses are the toughest in the league and can only be beat by high level skill players...otherwise the whole season will lean our defense holding teams to 21 points or less...

also wonder why Bradford was never asked an opinion or Britt.....would be interested...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Scenario #1: Rams sign Britt, he returns to health/form, and leads the Rams in receptions, yards and receiving TDS.

Scenario #2: Rams sign Britt, he finds himself battling younger receivers for looks, gets disgruntled, blows up, and is cut half way through the season.

I see these two scenarios as equally likely. As a result, if the Rams are going to sign him, it needs to be a contract that gives them the flexibility to get out if it goes badly.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree
    Britt would immaturely walk in
    You said it.

rich, I know he's your boy; and you're a big Rutgers guy. And that's cool; you got to support your team. But in his 5 seasons in Nashville, he never emerged as a #1 receiver. As a FA, he was ranked anywhere from 5th to 10th among WRs. I'm sorry, but I see nothing that would indicate to me that he's going to come in here and be a #1 receiver. He'd just be another guy.

He is #1 WR on the market at this time.
    Well, yea. He's the only WR among the top 20 WR free agents that hasn't signed anywhere. It'd down to him and guys like Santonio Holmes, Jason Avant, Sidney Rice, and Myles Austin. Not a lot to choose from.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-28-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    mde8352gorams likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Personally, if he won't sign for short money I'm not interested.

richtree is offline Registered User

ha ----> Auto Correct _--> made immediately ----> immaturely

that was pretty funny.....

and FYI, not a Rutgers guy ---Britt and Coleman are studs, I just seen them play more because I live close.....

I really, really think Coleman could be next big-time WR almost Fitz, CJ type...and I think he may have a better career than Watkins or Evans.....

If you look at Britt he does have a special talent in the way A.Boldin get fight for balls. There aren't many WRs that can bench 400 plus lbs and still run 4.5

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Richtree - don't have an opinion on Britt, but Bailey, Quick and Pettis are all good blockers.
    One negative is that if we do sign him, nobody's worried about us taking Watkins
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Personally, I don't get the interest in Britt. He never really lit it up in Nashville, barely catches half the passes thrown his way, has only played 1 full season in his career, has a history of injuries, is regularly involved with the police, and other than his 9 TD's in 2010, looks pretty average IMO.

He's probably an upgrade over someone like Pettis, but if he's looking for big money, he's most likely going to be disappointed. The Rams seem to like him, so I guess we'll see.
    Mikey likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

In my mind the alleged interest in Britt signals a relative discontent with Chris Givens and Brian Quick 2 of our wideouts who are going to be intensely evaluated starting with the OTA's. Both have vastly underperformed their perceived value as I see it. So with that in mind my preference is to draft Watkins rather than spend money on a player whom many view as problematic, injury-prone and lacking the concentration it takes to be a true #1 WR in the NFL.

Go Rams!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Personally, I don't get the interest in Britt. He never really lit it up in Nashville, barely catches half the passes thrown his way, has only played 1 full season in his career, has a history of injuries, is regularly involved with the police, and other than his 9 TD's in 2010, looks pretty average IMO.

He's probably an upgrade over someone like Pettis, but if he's looking for big money, he's most likely going to be disappointed. The Rams seem to like him, so I guess we'll see.
    I don't remember how much we paid for Drew Bennett, but whatever it was, it was far too much. I hear you Mike as to you not getting the interest in Britt. His stats are underwhelming other than the one year.

Snead’s cryptic remark that “there’s a better than 50% chance we sign him” possibly refers to what most teams already know. No one is going to throw a boatload of money at him. Britt’s best chance to resurrect his career may be in the “Show Me” state playing for the coach that drafted him. We could sign him to a one year “show me” deal, with no guarantee he would even make the team. If he somehow has rehabbed his body and brain sufficiently to demonstrate there is some useful tread left on his tires, he might be of use, particularly if one of our receivers were to go down with an injury in camp or preseason. Obviously other teams are lukewarm on him as well, or he'd have signed with someone by now. That "better than 50% chance" may be based on the fact other teams have low balled him too, and Les knows Britt isn't going to get a break the bank offer elsewhere.
    HUbison likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast