Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ram Mock

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Ram Mock

1 - Haha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: We're in need of a FS who can roam and read the eyes of a QB effectively. Clinton-Dix is a complete player and is the top S in the up-coming draft. He offers ballhawk potential. He is a big player, can cover 1v1, and has excellent range. Saban personally coaches his secondary and says Clinton-Dix is an excellent tackler as well. Haha rounds out our secondary and offers us another playmaker at the backend.

1 - Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon: Why not double dip here? I think as of right now Ekpre-Olomu lands here on our team. I think right now he will be the #1 CB. He is an exciting player with massive potential. He is not very big but offers another good corner for our team. Yes, I do have the Rams letting Finnegan go in this situation. Olomu may or may not start, depending on the ascension of Tru Johnson.

2 - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida: Some may think this is too early for us to take a "backup" but I don't think it is. Easley has one of the fastest get-off's I've ever seen for a defensive lineman. He has great hands too. He may be considered a bit undersized. I feel like a fresh rotation of Easley, Brockers, and Langford would offer big time potential. He may even get the eventual start over the hot and cold Langford. I would split snaps between Langford and Easley 50/50.

3 - Stephen Morris, QB, Miami: I love Morris as a prospect. He has all the physical tools in the world. Morris has a good arm and decent mechanics, he just needs some definite refining. He is also very mobile and offers another dynamic. He immediately offers a great backup QB and could potentially win the starting job (if not in his rookie season, a year or two after). Morris if molded could be an excellent QB in the league.

4 - Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson
    5 - Greg Blair, MLB, Cincinnati
    6 - Michael Dyer, HB, Louisville
    7 - Cornelius Lucas, OT, Kansas State

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is online now Registered User

Re: Ram Mock

I could get down with this. I'd like a number of other options at QB in round 3 though, namely Murray or McCarron.

The thing with drafting another DT for the rotation right now is that Hayes oftern comes in at that position. So we already have a rotating lineman. We could put him in at end sure, but then Long or Quinn is off the field, which I don't think anyone would like. I think Hayes signed a three year deal too, so he'll be a part of the plan for the next couple of years.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    3 - Stephen Morris, QB, Miami: I love Morris as a prospect. He has all the physical tools in the world. Morris has a good arm and decent mechanics, he just needs some definite refining. He is also very mobile and offers another dynamic. He immediately offers a great backup QB and could potentially win the starting job (if not in his rookie season, a year or two after). Morris if molded could be an excellent QB in the league.
    As an alum (law) of "the U," you might think I'd be on board with this, but... no.

I am not impressed with Morris. First of all, he is undersized at 6'2, 218. More importantly, he has not performed well this year (14 TDs, 10 Ints. in 9 games). He completes less than 60% of his passes, and seems to make a lot of big mistakes.

I wouldn't touch him before Round 6, and there will probably be QBs at that point in the draft that I'd take before Morris.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

So I take it that you're not pleased with our defensive secondary. Spending 2 first round picks on an area that we drafted 2 players at last year may be a bit excessive, when we could use O-Line upgrades as well as OLB upgrade/replacement depending on whether we re-sign Dunbar. I see you have a OG in round 4 and an OT in round 7. I think our needs are more urgent. I like Clinton-Dix, but I worry that his suspension may be a red warning flag. I'm sure the Combine interviews will answer those questions. Also what have you got against Hayes as a rotational DT. I'm not against adding depth but in round 2 may be early. As I said in another thread Finnegan is not going anywhere. Jeff Fisher is loyal to certain players and CF is one of them. He's Fisher's locker room advocate and offers veteran leadership, plus after 2 years of a 5-year deal the cap hit must be huge.

Lastly, I'm done with Cincinnati players after Mardy Gilyard and now Isaiah Pead there is something about that program that concerns me. I'm not close enough to it and I'm sure Greg Blair is a fine player, but the 2 players we've taken are not NFL material so my thinking is Hands Off. I don't think I'm alone in that perception.

Sorry to be so critical, I just don't see it the same way you do.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I could get down with this. I'd like a number of other options at QB in round 3 though, namely Murray or McCarron.

The thing with drafting another DT for the rotation right now is that Hayes oftern comes in at that position. So we already have a rotating lineman. We could put him in at end sure, but then Long or Quinn is off the field, which I don't think anyone would like. I think Hayes signed a three year deal too, so he'll be a part of the plan for the next couple of years.
    Fair enough. I don't like McCarron much. To me he's very limited and is a game manager at best. Needs a very strong supporting core. Murray I need to study some and I'll get an opinion.

On Easley to me it's no difference. He splits time with Langford and subs in for a tired Brockers. He could probably line up on the edge in certain instances as well. I went BPA there and IMO Easley has a big time potential. Reminds me a little bit of Gerald McCoy. If we can get a guy that can penetrate like Easley next to Brockers, we will have the most dominant line in the league, if not the past 5 or 10 years. Langford is a good player, but imagine having someone behind him? Offers big time depth, pushes Langford to play better, and keeps the rotation 100% fresh. To me there is no downside what so ever. Easley could easily play 55-60% of snaps.. Much more than Isaiah Pead and Brian Quick and they were drafted in the 2nd round.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As an alum (law) of "the U," you might think I'd be on board with this, but... no.

I am not impressed with Morris. First of all, he is undersized at 6'2, 218. More importantly, he has not performed well this year (14 TDs, 10 Ints. in 9 games). He completes less than 60% of his passes, and seems to make a lot of big mistakes.

I wouldn't touch him before Round 6, and there will probably be QBs at that point in the draft that I'd take before Morris.
    Undersized? Maybe he's a little light, but how often do we hear that stuff every single year? He's too light, he's going to need to add weight... And then when the combine starts all of a sudden the guy is 15 lbs heavier.. Weight is the last thing I'm worried about as these guys have the best professionals in the industry to help them not only in the weight room but with nutrition too.

His performance has for sure been under-whelming, though. To me he's a guy with big-time potential. Prior to this year a lot of people were talking about him having a decent year it could have pushed him into the 2nd/3rd.

Big arm and is mobile. After that, the coaches mold him. Fix up his footwork, get him the playbook, and let him do his thing. At worst, he backs-up Sam and never see's the field. Though I can't lie, I'd feel great with him behind Sam. He has the potential to over-run him if he can get it together.

THE DREAM TEAM

citr92 is offline Registered User

big thing against the miami qb....don't like his throwing, not that accurate imo

getting beat by duke at the moment as i type this fyi (though he's not the only one playing)

there are a few others i'd take before (derrick carr being one,though idk when he'd get picked, blake bortles being another, i'd even take the SEC quarterbacks before him)

but again, depends on who falls where so...

main thing though, got distracted lol,

i don't like drafting lineman in the 4th and 7th when it's a pretty...no biggest issue imo

so i disagree with your view of the rams' needs
    Last edited by citr92; -11-16-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Big arm and is mobile. After that, the coaches mold him.
    Which is why Kyle Boller became one of the best pro quarterbacks of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    big thing against the miami qb....don't like his throwing, not that accurate imo

getting beat by duke at the moment as i type this fyi (though he's not the only one playing)

there are a few others i'd take before (derrick carr being one,though idk when he'd get picked, blake bortles being another, i'd even take the SEC quarterbacks before him)

but again, depends on who falls where so...

main thing though, got distracted lol,

i don't like drafting lineman in the 4th and 7th when it's a pretty...no biggest issue imo

so i disagree with your view of the rams' needs
    In my opinion, our offensive line was good. Good enough to go to a superbowl with. Our problem is our WR's, still. We don't have a guy that we have any confidence in. A guy we can send out there on a 3rd and 7 or 9 and expect him to be open and to convert. We just don't have that guy. Many though last year Chris Givens could develop into that, nope. Brian Quick is still struggling. Tavon is at the top of the league in drops right now. Austin Pettis is the same guy he was day 1.. Stedman hasn't had much of a chance but that should say enough in it's own.

We can play around with the o-line all we want, but at the end of the day this is the best line Sam has had infront of him. He's had a good amount of time to throw the ball this year (when he played). The problem then was an inconsistent defense, horrible run game, and WR's that can't catch...

Now with all that being said, if the top OT dropped to me at #10, I'd most likely take him (BPA), though at the end of the day we have bigger needs than offensive lineman.

1. CB? Finnegan has been horrible. Horrible. Jenkins is very dumb and continues to make the same mistakes. He's regressed. Trumaine is the only improvement. And I can't say with full confidence that I'd feel great about sending Johnson and Jenkins out there as #1 and #2.

2. S? If we want to be a playoff team, we're going to need a backend. We are weak at corner and even weaker at S. McDonald is good but doesn't offer a whole lot in coverage. McLeod is a good #3 S.

3. QB? Will Sam be healthy? Even then, he's on the last year of his contract. Some still don't feel he's the guy.

4. OLB - Will JLD be back? Even then, we could use an upgrade.

5. OG - Chris Williams isn't the best, but I wouldn't exactly call him a "liability". Remember Quinn Ojinnaka? That's a liablity..

Jake Long is having a superb year. He's doing good in pass coverage and is the best run blocking LT in the game. Barksdale according to PFF has been terrific. The best RT in the NFC West thus far. He's been excellent and a great surprise. The interior is where we could use an upgrade. Wells? Ever since we signed him he's been a bit of a disappointment, but he's serviceable. Plus, Barrett Jones is being groomed for that spot. Harvey Dahl is still good but old. I could see an addition of a LG or RG, but not in round 1.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Which is why Kyle Boller became one of the best pro quarterbacks of the last decade.
    ............. Never said he would be anything special.... I said he would be the backup and depending on his development he could potentially push for a starting job.

THE DREAM TEAM

............. Never said he would be anything special.... I said he would be the backup and depending on his development he could potentially push for a starting job.
    You're missing my point.

If it was as easy as you say - "take a guy with a big arm who is mobile and let the coaches mold him" - then a guy like Boller would be a stud and the league would be populated by these kinds of athletic but unpolished passers.

But that's not the case. If anything, success at the quarterback position in this league is dictated by a player's intellect and their ability to be accurate with the football. Give me that guy over the big arm every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You're missing my point.

If it was as easy as you say - "take a guy with a big arm who is mobile and let the coaches mold him" - then a guy like Boller would be a stud and the league would be populated by these kinds of athletic but unpolished passers.

But that's not the case. If anything, success at the quarterback position in this league is dictated by a player's intellect and their ability to be accurate with the football. Give me that guy over the big arm every day of the week.
    All football is-is you taking a guy with some tools and you mold him into becoming a great player.. Coaches teach them what to look at, who to throw to, how to throw it, how to step when throwing it, how to follow through even when the ball has left your hand. Football is ALL about molding players.

With that being said, I think Morris is a decent player who has big time potential. At the end of the day he'd be a back-up QB for a reason.

They said Sam Bradford was killer accurate during his draft process. Now those same people are saying he's inaccurate and is a middle of the pact QB. Those same people said Cam Newton was not accurate and could not handle the game in his head and then his rookie year was done and those same "scouts, fans, execs, and NFL GM's" said he had arguably the best rookie QB season ever.

THE DREAM TEAM

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Really don't see the Rams going back to back defense in the first round. Love the Clinton-Dix pick but I would take Watkins or Evans in the first over the corner from Oregon.

He looks too small to play the press technique and I gotta believe that is the place where Fish wants to take his secondary to.

CB in the 2nd round would be a good combo of need and value, IMO. Just ain't feelin' it for any corners in the first round at this point in time.

Of course that could change but really not all that impressed with the CB position as of right now.

Also, I'm all for taking a developmental QB but NOT before the 4th round. Too many prospects on the board who can play now and, besides, Sam is and will continue to be the starter for the Rams as long as Fish is HC, and that is going to be for a good while.

WHAT SAY YE?

citr92 is offline Registered User

In my opinion, our offensive line was good. Good enough to go to a superbowl with. Our problem is our WR's, still. We don't have a guy that we have any confidence in. A guy we can send out there on a 3rd and 7 or 9 and expect him to be open and to convert. We just don't have that guy. Many though last year Chris Givens could develop into that, nope. Brian Quick is still struggling. Tavon is at the top of the league in drops right now. Austin Pettis is the same guy he was day 1.. Stedman hasn't had much of a chance but that should say enough in it's own.

We can play around with the o-line all we want, but at the end of the day this is the best line Sam has had infront of him. He's had a good amount of time to throw the ball this year (when he played). The problem then was an inconsistent defense, horrible run game, and WR's that can't catch...

Now with all that being said, if the top OT dropped to me at #10, I'd most likely take him (BPA), though at the end of the day we have bigger needs than offensive lineman.

1. CB? Finnegan has been horrible. Horrible. Jenkins is very dumb and continues to make the same mistakes. He's regressed. Trumaine is the only improvement. And I can't say with full confidence that I'd feel great about sending Johnson and Jenkins out there as #1 and #2.

2. S? If we want to be a playoff team, we're going to need a backend. We are weak at corner and even weaker at S. McDonald is good but doesn't offer a whole lot in coverage. McLeod is a good #3 S.

3. QB? Will Sam be healthy? Even then, he's on the last year of his contract. Some still don't feel he's the guy.

4. OLB - Will JLD be back? Even then, we could use an upgrade.

5. OG - Chris Williams isn't the best, but I wouldn't exactly call him a "liability". Remember Quinn Ojinnaka? That's a liablity..

Jake Long is having a superb year. He's doing good in pass coverage and is the best run blocking LT in the game. Barksdale according to PFF has been terrific. The best RT in the NFC West thus far. He's been excellent and a great surprise. The interior is where we could use an upgrade. Wells? Ever since we signed him he's been a bit of a disappointment, but he's serviceable. Plus, Barrett Jones is being groomed for that spot. Harvey Dahl is still good but old. I could see an addition of a LG or RG, but not in round 1.
    CB and safety still need to be addressed, i know, but not in the first round imo

if we needed a WR..well...there ya go, first round then if a guy is worthy, but 2nd round at most to me at this point anyway seeing as guys like marqise lee will go most likely before the Rams get a pick

for the O-line however, yea, they've performed better sure, but there are a few positions that could be replaced for the future

With that being said, I think Morris is a decent player who has big time potential. At the end of the day he'd be a back-up QB for a reason.
    So you've already given up on him potentially winning the starting job as a rookie or soon thereafter, as you said in the original post?

Yes, football is about taking guys with some skills and continuing to mold them. But when projecting success to the next level, you have to consider what skills are present and what skills still need to be molded.

When talking about a senior quarterback, it really worries me that you're still seeing the kind of poor decision making and fundamental mechanics issues that you see in Morris. That's one reason I'd stay away, because while no prospect comes to the pros as a perfect one, one of my prerequisites at this specific position would be good decision making (intelligence) and good mechanics (accuracy). Those are the types of things the good ones show coming into the league, not things they have to learn and figure out once they get there.

I obviously could be wrong; I have been many times before. But Morris strikes me as a guy whom someone is going to fall in love with because of his physical skills, but he'll never quite master the mental aspect of the game well enough to reach anything close to his physical potential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast