RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Ram players cap figures and what it would cost to cut them

This was posted on stltodays RamsTalk back in November by Stel a forum member. Assuming his numbers are correct its a very interesting read.

Post subject: Next year's team (an analysis)
    Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 pm
    Rather than join in the rantfest about the Rams, I spent some time perusing the numbers for next year. Maybe not too productive, but at least it is somewhat constructive and positive.

The best information I could find was from realramsfans.com (thanks to S.O.K.A.). Any errors in calculations and analysis are mine. I can't find a number for Long, his contract is very complicated, but his salary is $3.625M - for our purposes, I'm going to use $6M for cap).

By my count, there are 36 players under contract for next year, with a total cap number of $101.248M (with 23 under contract for 2010). I divided these into 4 categories: A. Players who will definitely be here, as they are doing their job, or they are "in training;" B. Those who will probably be here; those who will probably be here, because they cannot be replaced for the same money; C. Those who will be here because, regardless of whether you like their play, money concerns keep them on the roster; and D. Those that could be gone.

A. 14 players, $22.772M in cap: WR Avery, K Brown, WR Burton, DT Carricker, LB Chamberlain, S Condren, G Greco, RB Jackson, P Jones, DE Long, FB Massey, G Schuening, LB Witherspoon, and CB King.

B. 5 players, $5.056M in cap: OT Barron, S Johnson, RB Pittman, DT Ryan, CB Wade.

C. 6 players, $29.553M in cap: G Bell, QB Bulger, CB Hill, RB Leonard, DE Little, WR Bennett.

D. 11 players, $37.867M (cap hit of $12.516 if all cut, saving $25.351M in cap space): TE Becht, S Chavous, LB Draft, QB Green, DE Hall, WR Holt, TE Klopfenstein, OT Pace, LB Tinoisamoa, TE McMichael, and DT Wroten.

In addition, players not under contract that:
    1. I think we will attempt to keep: DE Adeyanju, S Atogwe, CB Bartell.
    2. I think we may attempt to keep: OT Goldberg, G Incognito, FB Kreider, C Leckey, WR Looker, CB Manning, RB Minor, C Romberg, LB Stills, OT Gorin.
    3. I think they will probably let go without attempting to sign: QB Berlin, LB Culbertson, DT Glover, DE Moore, RB Minor, WR Hall, G Setterstrom, LB Voboro.

Those in 2 & 3 that they try to keep will be based mainly on whether they are cheaper than a comparable replacement at their position.

A few comments on individual players, since they get discussed here:
    Category C
    Bell - too much guaranteed money to cut
    Bulger - cap number next year is $8.5M, cost if cut is $8.0
    Hill - cap number next year is $2.37M, cost if cut is $2.66M
    Little - cap number next year is $8.118M, cost if cut is $5.618M (could be cut, but it is his final year and the cap hit couldn't be split over two years).
    Bennett - cap number next year is $4.55M, cost if cut is $5.0M

Category D
    Becht - cap $1.135M, cap hit if cut $.135M; he's gone
    Chavous - cap $2.8M, cap hit if cut $1.6M; the $1.2 savings could pay his replacement
    Green - cap $2.7M, cap hit if cut $1.4M; the 1.3M savings could pay his replacement
    Holt - cap $8.855M, cap hit if cut $2.205M; savings is $6.65M. I love him, but he's gone.
    Pace - cap 9.0M, cap hit if cut $3.0M; savings is $6.0M. Not reliable enough to spend the money. He's gone.
    Tinoisamoa - cap is $4.083M, cap hit if cut $1.666; savings of $2.417M
    McMichael - cap is $4.6M, cap hit if cut $1.0M; savings of $3.6M

The bottom line, this team will probably clean house and rebuild over the next two years. I think 10-15 of the 36 players under contract will be gone, meaning over half of next year's team will be new players.

We will definitely need a program!

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Ram players cap figures and what it would cost to cut them

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Category C
    Bulger - cap number next year is $8.5M, cost if cut is $8.0
    Little - cap number next year is $8.118M, cost if cut is $5.618M (could be cut, but it is his final year and the cap hit couldn't be split over two years).

Category D
    Holt - cap $8.855M, cap hit if cut $2.205M; savings is $6.65M. I love him, but he's gone.
    Pace - cap 9.0M, cap hit if cut $3.0M; savings is $6.0M. Not reliable enough to spend the money. He's gone.
    Tinoisamoa - cap is $4.083M, cap hit if cut $1.666; savings of $2.417M

IF we could trade these guys for a bag of chips and Mr. Irrelevant or a late round pick wouldn't we realize a savings of their whole salary?

IF Traded we get:
    Bulger 8.5 mil
    Pisa 4.083 mil
    Little 8.118 mil
    Holt 8.855 mil
    Pace 9 mil
    TOTAL: 38.556 mil (not that I am recommending trading Bulger and Pisa)

IF Released we get:
    Bulger .5 mil (probably not worth releasing)
    Pisa 2.417 mil (probably not worth releasing)
    Little 2.5 mil (probably not worth releasing)
    Holt 6.65 mil
    Pace 6 mil
    TOTAL: 18.067 mil

I would not recommend Bulger going anywhere this year. But I included him because these are the guys you might be able to trade and not have to release.

soup1981 Guest

The more players gone the better, bring in some winners and hard hitters spags !!!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know, I wonder what kind of precendent we would set if we dropped everyone except Jackson, Long, and a few others.

With this Rams team, I harken back to John McKay and the Tampa Bay Buccanneers when a reporter asked about the execution of his team? He said, I'm all for it.

Better line: We are four specific plane crashes away from the playoffs. Wow, I miss the good ole days.

Mooselini Guest

I don't want guys like Bulger, Pisa, McMichael gone. I'm sorry, they can come back and play vital roles on this team next year.

I don't know what we can do. I honestly believe that we should start contract reconstruction talks with some players on this team.