Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    41

    RAMarkable's Pre-Combine Ram Mock

    This is what I've come up with to date. Unfortunately with the NFL's labor problems I foresee the draft happening before an agreement is reached. Therefore I am not going to post my FA picks at this time. This mock consists of just 5 rounds. After the combine I'll have more information to make a complete one. Enjoy.

    Round 1. No. 14 Aldon Smith-DE-Missouri 6'5" 270 lbs.
    This is a player that is rapidly moving up the draft boards of many teams. He is big, quick, fast and athletic enough to play RDE for the Rams for years to come. And with his body frame he could easily add 10 - 12 lbs and still be a pass rushing force. We need a bookend to complement Chris Long so that we can have a devastating pass rush from both sides.

    Round 2. No.46 Mason Foster-OLB-Washington 6'2" 241 lbs.
    Very productive 3-year starter and team captain for the Huskies. He has played all 3 linebacker positions in college but I see him exclusively as an OLB for the Rams. Foster has twice led his conference in total tackles and he's equally adept at playing the run, blitzing and dropping into coverage. I see Foster teaming with JL to dramatically improve our defense. In short this guy is exactly what we've been needing for years.

    Round 3. No.78 Demarco Murray-RB-Oklahoma 6'1" 207 lbs
    Oklahoma's all-time leader in all-purpose yards, touchdowns and receptions by a running back. Murray is a tough runner who is capable of breaking the big play. And with his receiving skills he should fit the new offensive schemes of McDaniels very well. Folks, we'll finally get a guy who can run, receive and even return kicks with a potential suddeness that has been lacking for awhile now.

    Round 4. No.111 Jalil Brown-CB-Colorado 6'1" 205 lbs
    Hmmm...another Big 12 player? Oh well, at any rate Brown is a 3-year starter who was also a team captain. He is a big, physical corner who can play the run as well as the pass. He excels in press coverage that the Rams like to run. Brown looks a lot like a Spags type of DB. What's not to like?

    Round 5. No.141 Jeremy Kerley-WR/KR/PR-TCU 5'10" 192 lbs
    Kerley was a 2-year starter for TCU he will compete for the role as return man for punts and kicks. He could also rotate in for some action in the slot.

    Well that's it for now. All comments and criticisms appreciated.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    Last edited by RAMarkable; -02-16-2011 at 09:51 PM.


  2. #2
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,300
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: RAMarkable's Pre-Combine Ram Mock

    Well, aside from the lack of a top receiver, it's a pretty good mock.

    I like Smith as a guy who can put some more weight on his frame and play as a weak side DE in the 4-3. Foster may have played himself into the second round with a solid Senior Bowl week. Murray in the third is good value, IMO. I'm okay with Brown in the fourth, though all the youth the Rams have at CB makes me a bit nervous. I don't see Kerley bringing much to this WR unit that they don't already have, though.

    Given the direction of the mock, it doesn't appear that you have the Rams really upgrading that much at the receiver position. Maybe a later free agency addition could bring something, but I really think this team needs to go out and find a guy who can step up and become a consistent weapon in the passing game. Finding someone who opposing defenses have to plan to defend, someone who can draw attention and open things up not only for other receivers but in the running game, should be an offseason priority IMO.

    But aside from that omission, I like many of your picks.

  3. #3
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: RAMarkable's Pre-Combine Ram Mock

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well, aside from the lack of a top receiver, it's a pretty good mock.

    I like Smith as a guy who can put some more weight on his frame and play as a weak side DE in the 4-3. Foster may have played himself into the second round with a solid Senior Bowl week. Murray in the third is good value, IMO. I'm okay with Brown in the fourth, though all the youth the Rams have at CB makes me a bit nervous. I don't see Kerley bringing much to this WR unit that they don't already have, though.
    Thanks for your comments, Nick. I have several responses for you though:

    I don't understand your comment about "all the youth the Rams have at CB." IMO this more aptly applies to our WR corps more than the CB or any other unit on the team. Heck, at least the Corners have Bartell and Dockery as experienced veterans to emulate. If Mark Clayton doesn't return did you know that Donnie Avery then becomes the 'grizzled' veteran of the wideouts with a whole 3 years of experience? Heh...think about that one for a bit!!

    This is why I believe Billy and the gang are NOT looking to take yet another wideout to team with all of the other kids like Gibson, Gilyard, Alexander, Amendola and maybe even Curry ( note: I'm assumng tha Laurent Robinson will not be back). If anything this just makes getting a veteran WR that much more of a priority.

    Also, interestingly enough did you know that the Rams have selected at least one CB for the past 5 consecutive drafts?
    2010 Murphy
    2009 Fletcher
    2008 King
    2007 Wade
    2006 Hill
    I don't know if this means all that much but it bodes well for the Rams looking at a guy like Jalil Brown at some point in the '11 draft so we can make it 6 years in a row!!.

    WHAT SAY YE?

  4. #4
    Ramendola16's Avatar
    Ramendola16 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    20
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: RAMarkable's Pre-Combine Ram Mock

    Good mock, for the most part. My only issue is that you neglected our two biggest needs (IMHO): WR and OG. I like the shoring up of the defense, but we can't ignore our issues at these positions any longer if we're going to take the next step as a team. Other than that, I like the mock.

  5. #5
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,088
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: RAMarkable's Pre-Combine Ram Mock

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    Good mock, for the most part. My only issue is that you neglected our two biggest needs (IMHO): WR and OG. I like the shoring up of the defense, but we can't ignore our issues at these positions any longer if we're going to take the next step as a team. Other than that, I like the mock.
    Well, I can see where you are coming from and no doubt it is the majority opinion at this time. However, while I'm all for upgrading the WR and OG positions, I'm just not convinced that they are as bad as most think.

    I think that Billy and the boys are not as down on our wideouts as many are. I believe he is willing to see what they can do once they mature and (Hopefully!!) get healthy and stay healthy. As I posted above the WR unit on the Rams is the youngest unit by far on the team. We really need to find out what these guys can do before committing more premium picks to this position.

    As far as the OG s are concerned, I tend to agree with you but for some reason I still hold out hope that John Greco or even Mark Setterstrom can get healthy enough to grab the starting job. Yep, probably a lot of wishful thinking and I would not be surprised if the Rams select a guard early in the draft. That remains a strong possibility.

    For me it just came down to fact that Mason Foster is exactly what we've been looking for at OLB for awhile now. This is especially the case when you consider that all we have at OLB are older guys and late round journeymen types. This position needs more help, IMHO, than the guard position at this time.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    Last edited by RAMarkable; -02-18-2011 at 01:38 PM.

  6. #6
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,300
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: RAMarkable's Pre-Combine Ram Mock

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Thanks for your comments, Nick. I have several responses for you though:

    I don't understand your comment about "all the youth the Rams have at CB." IMO this more aptly applies to our WR corps more than the CB or any other unit on the team. Heck, at least the Corners have Bartell and Dockery as experienced veterans to emulate. If Mark Clayton doesn't return did you know that Donnie Avery then becomes the 'grizzled' veteran of the wideouts with a whole 3 years of experience? Heh...think about that one for a bit!!

    This is why I believe Billy and the gang are NOT looking to take yet another wideout to team with all of the other kids like Gibson, Gilyard, Alexander, Amendola and maybe even Curry ( note: I'm assumng tha Laurent Robinson will not be back). If anything this just makes getting a veteran WR that much more of a priority.

    Also, interestingly enough did you know that the Rams have selected at least one CB for the past 5 consecutive drafts?
    2010 Murphy
    2009 Fletcher
    2008 King
    2007 Wade
    2006 Hill
    I don't know if this means all that much but it bodes well for the Rams looking at a guy like Jalil Brown at some point in the '11 draft so we can make it 6 years in a row!!.

    WHAT SAY YE?
    The receivers are young, but I think they've gotten much more experience during that time than the young corners have. Guys like Gibson, Robinson and Amendola have been in the starting line-up or heavily involved because of all the injuries at the position. The line-up at receiver has been shuffled due to guys like Clayton and Avery and Robinson (for a time) being injured.

    You can't say the same thing about Murphy or King, IMO. Bartell and Fletcher combined for 28 out of a possible 32 starts in 2010. Dockery is a free agent and we haven't heard anything about him being brought back. Meanwhile, the team has expressed an interest in bringing back Clayton, a six year vet. Avery, a three year vet, is still under contract.

    Besides, for the WR position, we're talking about the need to add another starter. The need at the CB position is for depth. Is Brown going to unseat Bartell or Fletcher as a starter? The best he'd probably be expected to do is challenge for a nickel job. That's fine, but I don't know how much the Rams really benefit from spending another mid-round pick on a depth position.

    As you point out, they've spent numerous resources on the spot over the years. They have a young starter opposite of Bartell and a young nickel back in Murphy. Adding more youth there is okay, but I'm not crazy about it and I think you could probably find a decent veteran nickel or dime back too. And I think it's a slightly different situation than adding a young potential #1-type receiver as an eventual if not immediate starter next to, say, a more experienced veteran in Clayton or Avery.

Similar Threads

  1. RAMarkable's S.O.S. Mock 1.0
    By RAMarkable in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
  2. smizz's post combine 1st rd. mock
    By smizzhfx in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -03-06-2009, 02:17 PM
  3. Beastly Mock Offseason 4.0 pre combine
    By 39thebeast in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: -02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
  4. Mock Draft 1-11 after combine.
    By Rambos in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -02-28-2006, 04:20 PM
  5. Pre Combine Mock
    By RamJackson39 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -02-18-2006, 06:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •