RAMarkable is offline Registered User

RAMarkable's S.O.S. Mock 1.0

The S.O.S stands for Save our Spags. As it is not much of a stretch at this point to say that the Rams will finish at 1-15 this year, I have used this assumption to arrive at a mock that I believe is reasonable not only for next year but also for the future going forward.

Therefore I submit the following for your consideration:

Round 1. Ndamakong Suh DT Nebraska Surprise!! Well, not really. This is about the closest thing to a perfect storm for the Rams as the probable best player in the draft also fills a huge need.

Round 2. Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri A new 'Spoon to replace the old departed one. Rams continue to strive to beef up their front seven with an athletic playmaker from right in their backyard.

Round 3. Ciron Black OT LSU A senior veteran of the SEC wars and a 3 year starter. It is my assumption that Jason Smith will move to the left tackle spot (Buh-Bye Baby Alex) and this will open up a spot at the right tackle position. Most likely A. Goldberg will start the season but by week 5 or so expect Mr. Black to grab the job.

Round 4. Anthony Dixon RB Mississippi State Steven Jackson is on pace for about 350+ touches this year and that is way too much. At 235 lbs. Dixon can hopefully take some of the load off #39 and yet keep the Rams running the same kind of power-based run attack that Spags has said he wanted from the get go.

Round 5. Sean Canfield QB Oregon State With his excellent senior year Canfield has shot up draft boards and could be a candidate for developmental QB behind Bulger next year. At this point I'd be content to let Canfiled fight it out with Boller and Null and see what happens.

Well that's it for now. The 6th and 7th rounds will be added to a future mock as we get further along in the process.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: RAMarkable's S.O.S. Mock 1.0

I really like this mock draft.

Obvious concerns are that we don't draft a franchise QB and we don't get any help at WR or TE. But we have too many holes to fill them all, and considering how many holes we would fill with this draft, I'll take it.

WR is definitely a hole, but with another year of experience and some time to gel, our WR will hopefully be improved even without any additions. By no means will it be good - but it will be servicable, and that's a step up. As far as TE goes, that's a hole I can live with.

DE is still a concern, I wouldn't mind picking up a DE in rnd 2 rather than an OLB.

Really like it, though. Can't wait to see Suh and Long blowing up the backfield for the next decade.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

If the rams can somehow get ur 1rst 2 picks, i think the D would be fun to watch next year no matter what the offense does.

mtah6245 is offline Registered User

I do like your 4th pick of Anthony Dixon from Mississippi State. If he is there when the rams make their 4th pick they would steal the second best RB in the SEC.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I like this mock. I can definitely see the first three rounds panning out. Like the Weatherspoon pick for sure.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Let me just remind of something. In the begging of the season what who were we holding accountable for our losses?

The entire offense (exception of Steven Jackson)

The offense was getting off the field quick which made the D keep running out there and they were tired in the 2nd half or 4th quarter.

So i'd really want Clausen but Suh is unblockable and if we pick first i wouldn't mind getting Suh.

But Weatherspoon? Do we need to draft a outside linebacker that high?

If we go Suh in the 1st there is no way we leave round 2 without a QB or TE NO WAY!

Ciron Black is more of a late 1st early 2nd round talent

No more developmental QB! Why did we draft Null if we are just gunna get another developmental QB?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

1.)But Weatherspoon? Do we need to draft a outside linebacker that high?

2A.)If we go Suh in the 1st there is no way we leave round 2 without a QB or TE NO WAY!

Ciron Black is more of a late 1st early 2nd round talent

2B.)No more developmental QB! Why did we draft Null if we are just gunna get another developmental QB?
    1.) Well hell yeah we need an OLB. Fact is we probably need 2 unless you are satisfied with the likes of Lenin, Vobora, Grant and Chamberlain-guys who would not start any where else in the league. One of the reasons we cannot stop the run is because of crummy LB play.

Besides, I don't think the Rams have drafted a quality OLB since they've been in St. Louis. It's about time. (And don't give me Pisa. He was actually a strong safety blown up to play OLB.)

2A) You need to look at this pick from Spags' (and Devaney, for that matter) point of view. What is he going to do with another spread system QB that probably won't see the field in 2010? Develop him for the next coach after he's fired?

Look, the man is going to go 1 and 15. His "grace" period is up and he's now firmly on the hot seat. Heck, Cam Cameron got fired in Miami for the same record. This is why the thread was named "SOS". These are the kind of picks that Spags will want to make for as quick a turnaround as possible.

2B.) No more developmental QB? What in the world do you think the 2 noodle-arms, Pike/McCoy are? Heh...Do you really think that Spags has the time to teach these guys how to take a direct snap from the Center?

The first 3 picks of this mock are all players with enough talent, hopefully, to start ASAP.

Remember the battle-cry: SAVE OUR SPAGS!!...and Billy, too.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post

1.)WR is definitely a hole, but with another year of experience and some time to gel, our WR will hopefully be improved even without any additions. By no means will it be good - but it will be servicable, and that's a step up. As far as TE goes, that's a hole I can live with.

2.)DE is still a concern, I wouldn't mind picking up a DE in rnd 2 rather than an OLB.
    1.) Thanks for your response Nick. As far as WR goes according to my reckoning we have got the following on the roster:
    D. Avery
    L. Robinson
    K. Burton
    B. Gibson
    D. Amendola
    R. Martin
    J. Kent
    B. Foster

That's 8 pretty young guys; that's a lot for any NFL team. Seems to me if we need anything it's a veteran or two to balance out all of this youth. Someone else posted a list of potential FAs available at the end of this year. I'd rather look at some of them than draft yet another young guy.

2.) Totally agree with you here on a DE. In fact I was going to go in that direction, but just didn't think any DE could beat Weatherspoon as far as value is concerned. Of course that could definitely change as we move along toward D-Day.

WHAT SAY YE?

TornadoRex is offline Registered User

I like this mock for you guys. Weatherspoon has had a down year, but he's the best strictly 4-3 LB in the draft.

I don't know if Dixon will be around in the 4th... it would be a great value pick, though.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    1.) Well hell yeah we need an OLB. Fact is we probably need 2 unless you are satisfied with the likes of Lenin, Vobora, Grant and Chamberlain-guys who would not start any where else in the league. One of the reasons we cannot stop the run is because of crummy LB play.

Besides, I don't think the Rams have drafted a quality OLB since they've been in St. Louis. It's about time. (And don't give me Pisa. He was actually a strong safety blown up to play OLB.)

2A) You need to look at this pick from Spags' (and Devaney, for that matter) point of view. What is he going to do with another spread system QB that probably won't see the field in 2010? Develop him for the next coach after he's fired?

Look, the man is going to go 1 and 15. His "grace" period is up and he's now firmly on the hot seat. Heck, Cam Cameron got fired in Miami for the same record. This is why the thread was named "SOS". These are the kind of picks that Spags will want to make for as quick a turnaround as possible.

2B.) No more developmental QB? What in the world do you think the 2 noodle-arms, Pike/McCoy are? Heh...Do you really think that Spags has the time to teach these guys how to take a direct snap from the Center?

The first 3 picks of this mock are all players with enough talent, hopefully, to start ASAP.

Remember the battle-cry: SAVE OUR SPAGS!!...and Billy, too.

WHAT SAY YE?
    1) Yea we need an OLB but we don't need to take one as early as 2nd round. Also we do not need 2. I think David Vabora is a solid OLB. He has done a good job. I don't think it is worth it for a team with our needs to draft a 4-3 OLB in the early 2nd round. Do you have alternate pick for the 2nd round?

2A) i don't think i ever said a spread system QB. And the behind center thing we run a WCO we can incorporate more shotgun passes.

2B) What i meant by developmental QB is a QB that is projected to be a back-up like a mid-late rounder. We drafted Null Last year in the 6th. Does this guy have significant talent that is greater than NULL for us to waste a 5th rounder on

Also if Spags wants to save his job he better gets some offensive playmakers and get people the can move the ball downfield. Because i see the improvements on Defense Spags is doing fine there but our Offense is awful.

If we want to save spags we need to score so we need playmakers!

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Is Canfield even playing? I thought that Mike Reilly (not the Rams guy from CWU) was still their quarterback.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I love it.

This is going to be a defensive team. We need to build a young, power house defense to play for many years. If we can land the two first rounds, I'd be happy.

As for the QB situation, it's important to let Null play the rest of the year. See what he has to offer before we take another QB next year. So, I can agree with your fifth round pick here.

I did notice the running back. We really need a solid back up. I think Jackson's back hurting is a sign that he touches the ball too much. I like the one-two punch some teams have, we can certainly use it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I love it.

This is going to be a defensive team. We need to build a young, power house defense to play for many years. If we can land the two first rounds, I'd be happy.

As for the QB situation, it's important to let Null play the rest of the year. See what he has to offer before we take another QB next year. So, I can agree with your fifth round pick here.

I did notice the running back. We really need a solid back up. I think Jackson's back hurting is a sign that he touches the ball too much. I like the one-two punch some teams have, we can certainly use it.
    Thanks for your kind words, Mooselini. I can definitely feel your excitement over the coming draft. If the Rams play their cards right this draft could go a long way toward our return to dominance.

BTW quick question for you. How did you find my mock considering that it had already been removed from the first page of the Draft & FA board?

Just a wonderin'

WHAT SAY YE?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Thanks for your kind words, Mooselini. I can definitely feel your excitement over the coming draft. If the Rams play their cards right this draft could go a long way toward our return to dominance.

BTW quick question for you. How did you find my mock considering that it had already been removed from the first page of the Draft & FA board?

Just a wonderin'

WHAT SAY YE?
    Say whatt? It was the first thread on my page. haha Thats how I found it.

Rather glad I did too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!