Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Ramblings: Rams have needs, needs and more needs

Rams have needs, needs and more needs
    January 31, 2009

Here’s a look at the Rams’ offseason needs with a month left before the start of free agency.

A lot could change in the next month, especially if left tackle Orlando Pace and wide receiver Torry Holt are released due to their high salary cap numbers.

There’s also the decision on whether to place the franchise tag on free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, and whether a long-term contract can be worked out with cornerback Ron Bartell. Both Atogwe and Bartell are free agents.

For now, I’ll go with the assumption that both Pace and Holt will be back next season, and the team can keep both Atogwe and Bartell from hitting the open market.

1. Offensive tackle

The Rams need to find the heir apparent to Pace at left tackle. You can’t go into the season without a quality replacement in the event Pace goes down with an injury.

If Pace returns, you have someone to push underachieving Alex Barron at right tackle and serve as an insurance policy in the event of injury.

The Rams could fill this need by signing a veteran — Carolina left tackle Jordan Gross would become a priority free agent if he hits the open market, but that might not happen — in free agency or drafting an offensive tackle early in the draft.

2. Middle linebacker

The Rams need a run-stuffing monster in the middle to set the tone for the entire defense.

Will Witherspoon is better suited to playing on the outside where he can utilize his speed and not have to fight his way through blockers so much.

The Rams also could fill this need through free agency or what appears to be linebacker-rich draft.

3. Center

Brett Romberg and Nick Leckey are undersized. If you want to build your offense around the power running game with Steven Jackson, you’d better get another masher on the interior of the offensive line.

It’d be better to bring in a veteran since centers usually take a couple of years to develop.

4. Strong safety

Corey Chavous, who is a free agent, has looked near the end of the line for a couple of seasons. Todd Johnson replaced Chavous as a starter late last season, but he may be better as a backup because he doesn’t have top-flight speed.

Safeties can be found in the middle rounds of the draft as evidenced by Atogwe, a third-rounder in 2005.

5. Wide receiver

Despite the addition of Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton in last year’s draft, I feel like the Rams could use another game-breaker.

I don’t see how the Rams can be counting on Drew Bennett, who missed most of last year due to a broken foot and has had little impact in his two seasons with the Rams, to fill a major role next season.

A wide receiver with size and after-the-catch tackle-breaking ability would be a nice compliment to Avery and Burton.

If Holt doesn’t come back, then this really becomes a necessity.

If the Rams decide that Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree (6-2, 240) is the best player available with the No. 2 overall pick, he’d fill this need nicely.

6. Cornerback

You can never have enough cornerbacks, and Bartell’s impending free agency along with Tye Hill’s injury history will have the Rams looking to pick up another cornerback either in free agency or the draft.

7. Defensive tackle

The Rams could use a “fat guy’’ to work in the defensive tackle rotation with Adam Carriker and Clifton Ryan. A 340-pound immovable object would be a huge asset on run downs.

There’s not a lot of run-stuffing nose tackles available in the draft. Boston College’s B.J. Raji (6-2, 325), who is expected to be taken in the first round, is the best of them.

8. Backup running back

Having two top-notch running backs is more a necessity than a luxury in the NFL these days.

The Rams need a 1b running back to go with 1a Jackson, who has missed four games in each of the last two seasons.

The Giants’ Derrick Ward is slated to become a free agent, and he’d be a nice addition if the Rams are willing to shell out the big bucks to land him.

9. Fullback

The Rams need a true fullback paving the way for Jackson. Brian Leonard, a second-round pick in 2007, is known more his versatility than his lead blocking.

10. Backup quarterback

It’s time to consider adding a “quarterback of the future’’ to the Rams’ roster.

It doesn’t make fiscal sense to expend a high draft pick on filling this need, but if they can land someone to groom for the future in the middle rounds, the Rams should jump at the chance.

MarshallMarshall Guest

Re: Ramblings: Rams have needs, needs and more needs

I think DT and CB should be above WR. Especially DT.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

People need to stop saying Derrick Ward can be signed as a backup. He ran for over 1,000 yards as a backup and was statistically the most effective runner in the league. He is going to want to be a starter if he leaves the Giants.

Aside from that agreed on everything and the next couple of months should be very interesting.

chiguy is offline Registered User

The list is staggering, yet accurate. *sigh*

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

For some reason I haven't heard a lot about Dustin Fry as of late. Is he still even on the team? If he is, why isn't his named tossed around when people are talking about finding a new center?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    For some reason I haven't heard a lot about Dustin Fry as of late. Is he still even on the team? If he is, why isn't his named tossed around when people are talking about finding a new center?
    My best recollection is that Fry was cut during the regular eason. He is no longer listed on the Rams' roster. He apparently wasn't athletic enough to make it at the next level. He was tried at guard as well as center, but just couldn't cut it.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Good post. I think DT should be a higher priority because having a dominant d-line that will impact the opposing quarterback's time to throw will help out our secondary.
    But also, it could also work the other way. Having good coverage will stall the quarterback, leaving more time for our d-line to reach the quarterback.

But I think the deciding factor is the run stopping. The d-line makes more of an impact on the run stopping game than corners so I think that DT should be a higher priority.

But all in all, great list.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Nick, was this list meant to be in a particular order, highest priority to lowest?

If that's the case, I would place Cornerback over Receiver If Torry does return next year. I would bump Qb up a few, but not too high. As stated above, the list is accurate.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Nick, was this list meant to be in a particular order, highest priority to lowest?
    The article is from Steve Korte's blog Ramblings. I would assume it's listed in order of priority per his opinion.