Rambos is offline Registered User

Rambos mock draft 09

Round One

Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

2009 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Aaron Curry's name may not be recognizable to those outside of ACC country, but he has been the best player on one of the conference's best teams over the last few years. It sure did not take the 6-3 linebacker much time before he made his mark. In just the second game of his redshirt freshman year, Curry was inserted into the starting lineup and he has remained there ever since. As a freshman in 2005 he tallied 45 tackles. That number shot up to 83 during his sophomore campaign and 99 in 2007. It was also in 2007 when Curry returned three interceptions for touchdowns (which is really impressive for a linebacker).
    Curry is a big play linebacker and can deliver the big hit and cover a lot of ground. He is also extremely versatile and does a good job against both the run and the pass. The only negative to find with Curry is his awareness. There are times when he is out of position and makes mistakes.

The hype might be low right now, but NFL scouts will not let Curry slip under the radar for too long. He has the tools and experience to be a first-round draft pick and that will not change between now and April.

11/11 Update: Curry continues to put up big numbers for Wake Forest. Through nine games he has 77 tackles, 11.5 tackles-for-loss, 1.5 sacks, three pass break-ups and one interception. Curry is the catalyst and the leader of the defense and if the Demon Deacons continue to be successful and slip into a BCS game, Curry will get the press he deserves.

12/25 Update: Curry ended his magnificent senior season with 105 tackles, 16 tackles-for-loss, 2.5 sacks and one interception -- and the country noticed his great production. Curry won the Butkus Award (honoring the nation's top linebacker) and was a finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Award. He was also named a first-team All-American by just about everybody. As a result, Curry has rocketed up draft boards and could now be a top ten selection. He will need to put up some good numbers for the scouts between now and the draft to remain that high, but he will not drop too far either way.

2/11 Update: So far everything is looking good for Curry. His status as a top five draft pick is pretty solid, at least as solid as one can get at this point. Yet, barring a horrible showing at the combine or any unforeseen circumstances, Curry will not be waiting very long for his name to be called.

Round Two

William Beatty, OT Connecticut

From Vikings’ web site

Note that Mayock projected him to go in the second round. Since then Beatty’s stock has risen: NFL Draft Scout now has him projected as high as the mid first round, which puts him on the Vikings’ radar screen. And Beatty did nothing to hurt himself with his performance in the combine yesterday. In fact, he was singled out by SI’s Tony Pauline, who said:

One of the nation’s better pass blockers proved he is one of the best athletes of all the offensive linemen in attendance. Beatty weighed a stout 307 pounds and completed 27 reps on the bench. He ran his 40s in just over five seconds, then looked very smooth during position drills.

Not that I put much stock in all those combine numbers. The point is that the guy is clearly impressive and clearly worthy of the #22 pick. Some recent mocks have Beatty actually being taken off the board before the Vikings pick at 22. Offensive tackles will clearly be a hot commodity at the draft this year, meaning the Vikes might have to trade up to get the guy they want.

Round Three

Robert Ayers, DE, Ten

Ayers struggled in his first three seasons as a Tennessee Volunteer, but he took over a starting role at defensive end as a senior and flourished. He led Tennessee in sacks and tackles for loss and was named to the All-SEC First Team by the conference's coaches. 2008 was a great year for Ayers and he has not missed a step in 2009. He was awarded with defensive MVP honors at last month's Senior Bowl. Needless to say, Ayers' stock is on the rise and he probably has himself in position to go off the board in either the second or third round in April's NFL Draft. He does not have incredible size (6'3'' and 270 pounds), so he must continue to impress with his speed at the upcoming combine. Ayers can run under 4.7 in the 40-yard-dash and his quickness allows him to get around offensive tackles and be effective in the pass rush. He can also play linebacker, and NFL teams will enjoy such versatility. The only real weaknesses seem to be correcting themselves at the moment. Ayers lacked production early in his UT career and ran into a few problems off the field. All of that changed last season for Ayers, who was a team captain.

Round Four

Aaron Kelly, WR, Clemson

Aaron Kelly has been quietly putting up great numbers at Clemson. As a freshman he tallied 575 receiving yards on 47 catches, ranking ninth in Atlantic Coast Conference history in total receiving yards by a freshman. By his junior campaign, the wideout was the team's top receiver when he caught 88 passes for 1,081 yards and 11 touchdowns. Heading into the 2008 season, Kelly needs just three touchdowns to break Clemson's 57-year-old record for career receiving touchdowns.
    At 6-5 and 190 pounds, Kelly is a tall and thin wide receiver. Do not let the thin part fool you, Kelly is extremely tough and is not afraid to be physical. Even when he can be outmatched by a cornerback, Kelly uses his body very well to shield off defenders.

He will likely not be a number one receiver in the NFL, but he could emerge as great secondary option. NFL teams will love his size, tenacity and route running skills. Kelly may need to add a few pounds, but otherwise he has everything he needs to be a quality receiver in the league right now. If he has another season like he did in 2007 in 2008, Kelly could be a second round selection.

10/6 Update: Clemson is off to an extremely disappointing start. The team was ranked in the top ten before the season started and huge things were expected from the offense. It is not all Kelly's fault, but the passing game has faltered and that has left Kelly with just 253 receiving yards through the first five games. For a player who reached the end zone 11 times a year ago, the bigger story is his zero touchdown receptions. There is time for the Tigers to turn their season around, but so far Kelly, and the Clemson offense, has not made a good impression.

12/25 Update: The offense did not get much better, but at least Clemson sort of turned things around and at least ended up in a bowl game. Kelly was the team's top receiver and averaged 54 receiving yards per contest. He also tied for the team lead in touchdown receptions with three. The offense had a ton of issues, but Kelly is still a tall, quick receiver who will have something to prove at the combine.

Round Five

Cullen Harper, QB, Clemson

In his first year as a starter in 2007, Cullen Harper had an amazing season. The 6-4, 225 pound quarterback completed 65.1 percent of his passes and threw 27 touchdowns and just six interceptions. Prior to that, Harper only threw 21 passes in his previous two seasons with Clemson. NFL teams will want to see if his great 2007 season can continue into 2008, but through three games the results are mixed.
    Harper looks like an NFL quarterback. He has good size, an accurate and strong arm and plenty of athleticism. His quick release is also a big plus in a class of quarterbacks where many have poor throwing habits. Harper's downside is his decision making. He will not often make the bad throw, but he does tend to hang onto the ball too long which results in quite a few sacks and a lot of throwing the ball away. Of course throwing the ball away is not a bad thing at all, but it would be beneficial if he did it a little quicker.

With a good 2008 season, Harper could be the best senior quarterback in the draft. There are quite a few possible early entrants (like Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez) who could take some of the spotlight off of Harper, but he should at least be a second round selection barring a horrible senior season.

10/6 Update: That horrible season is under way. Through five games in 2008, Harper has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. His completion percentage is still solid, but Harper can take the majority of the blame for the struggling Clemson offense. Two of the team's three wins came against The Citadel and South Carolina State and Harper has to step it up now that the competition is getting tougher. Harper still has the look of a quality NFL quarterback, but seniors who throw more interceptions than touchdowns tend not to get drafted on the first day of the draft.

12/25 Update: Harper was one of the top senior quarterback prospects heading into the season, but that went away very quickly and the hype never came back. During his senior season, Harper completed just 63.2 percent of his passes and averaged under 200 passing yards per game. The low yardage total may not be a big surprise due to the quality running backs at Clemson, but the 11 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions is a shocker. Harper will need some great showings during senior week and at the combine in order to crawl his way back onto the radar.

Round Six

Javorskie Lane, FB, T A&M

Posted Feb 20th 2009 7:15PM by Chris Burke (RSS feed)
    Filed Under: NFL Draft

You could argue that no player's NFL stock has plummeted as much in one year as Lane's. He might have inched into the first day in 2008, but instead returned to A&M, where Mike Sherman barely used him in the Aggies' new offense, and questions about his weight and desire lingered. Fullbacks are a dying breed as it is, so Lane must prove that he can both block and run the ball well to find a roster spot.

Round Seven

Jaime Thomas OG Maryland

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Rambos mock draft 09

I love mock drafts and I'm sure the one you have done will beat the one I did a while back but...

I don't think, most people don't think and the post you put with Beatty doesn't think he will be there at that spot.

also

The article of Harper you included makes me not want to pick him at all.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Curry and beatty would be awesome, but beatty may not make it, ala duane brown last year.
    Ayers is an early second round, borderline first round pick.
    Harper and lane make me throw up in my mouth.
    But i like the kelly pick, he's a huge target.

The article of Harper you included makes me not want to pick him at all.
    Harper stock has dropped due to 2008, he may be a steal. Behind Marc he will have at least three years to be groomed.

Harper and lane make me throw up in my mouth.
    I hope you, ate something good.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I wouldn't take Harper there, I might only take him as an undrafted Free Agent. Beatty and Ayers are probably gone. Kelly is coming off a down year, but performed well at the combine so it will be interesting to see what his stock is like

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I really doubt Ayers and Beatty are available where you have us picking them.

I really doubt Ayers and Beatty are available where you have us picking them.
    Nick you would know, more then I, that being said all the WR slipped out of the 1st round last year. And Avery went first so one never knows.

Projected mid first round Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

Projected late first round DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal

Projected late first Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

I hope we can get one of the two.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Nick you would know, more then I, that being said all the WR slipped out of the 1st round last year. And Avery went first so one never knows.

Projected mid first round Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

Projected late first round DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal

Projected late first Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

I hope we can get one of the two.
    You're right, you never know what can happen. But at the same time, WR isn't OT. So it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. There was a run of OTs last year because teams value the position. There very well could be a run on them this year. The Lions, Rams, Seahawks, Bengals, Raiders, Jags, Packers, *****, Bills, Redskins, Bears, Eagles, Pats, Cardinals, and Steelers could all be in the market for an OT and could elect to go that way in the first round. I could make a case for any of those teams taking a first round OT. Detroit or New England could come back at the top of the second round at take an OT as well. I have a hard time seeing Beatty fall to us in the second after a fairly strong offseason.