Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By turbofargo

Thread: Ramdom Draft Thoughts

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Ramdom Draft Thoughts

Excited about the week starting, a week where the trade talk and player rumors will really heat up, nearly all of it completely phony, a "Bodyguard of Lies" as it was called before D-day in 1944.

As hard as I try to imagine it, and think it may be best, I just don't see Jeff Fisher using the second overall pick in a great draft on a tackle, not when he has that #13 in his pocket to get one.

If somehow they are still at #2 when the #1 is Jadeveon Clowney, I just don't see the Rams brain trust being able to take a tackle over Khalil Mack or Sammie Watkins. Even though Greg Robinson is a guy with huge upside, the Rams need is RT, so they can get one later. They have two guys capable of starting at LT and doing fine, Long and Saffold, so it's not a need like , say, Miami or Oakland has on the O-line.

The Rams say they don't want another receiver, but if they see Watkins as a true superstar talent, how do you pass on him for the difference between the top OT and the 4th best one they can get at #13, or even what they can get at #44 in a deep crop of guys who could be stud RT.

I have no doubt that Gregg Williams will be bending Fisher's ear about what Khalil could be as a pass rusher and overall impact OLB. Fisher needs look no further than his own division to see how great linebackers can make a defense great.

So if it's #2, I think the Rams go either Mack or Watkins.

I also think they will NOT be drafting 2nd when it's all said and done.

Even after a trade down to 6th, which is my fearless prediction of months now, don't pencil in a tackle. Mike Evans would add something even Watkins wouldn't that the Rams badly need, a big, physical stud WR.

I would be just fine with Evans, Zach Martin, Jimmie Ward, and David Yankey with the first four picks. Then in round three, you look for a steal in a deep draft at pretty much any position, and even consider dealing up a bit for the right guy, using fifth and sixth round picks.

The whole key is Martin, who also could play guard OR center and star, and how close he is to the first three, and whether he will get past the Giants at 12.

If the Rams gamble and lose at #13, they still get a great DB as a consolation prize.

They can then address tackle at #37, and go DB again or LB at 44.

I'm certain that even at #13, Snead will listen to offers from the teams from 15 to 19 who will be trying to move up perhaps, even if it means losing Martin.

As long as he can still get a top two safety or top three CB, or a Morgan Moses, Cyrus Kouandjio to play RT, Snead may go into full trader mode with the Rams own #1 pick.

All speculation, of course, as I have no crystal ball.

Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ramdom Draft Thoughts

Barry, I appreciate your perspective, as it comes from knowledge and experience. But I couldn't disagree with you more on a couple of your points.

Foremost, I don't think the Rams' need is at right tackle. I think the Rams' need is at left tackle, where the last three seasons Jake Long has played have all been cut short due to injury. I suspect that's one reason why the Rams signed him to the type of contract they did, where they can get out of it from here on out and reap some savings in the process ($8+ million cap savings if cut in 2015-2016). He is, IMO, a short term answer at best to the line's most valuable position. The Rams need a long-term answer.

You said it yourself, Martin may not even get by New York @ 12. So the Rams can't assume they can get a tackle @ 13 if they pass on one @ 2. It's entirely possible if not probable at this point that all four top linemen are gone in the Top 12. Even if he's there, do the Rams view him as a tackle or a guard at the next level? Are they even interested in him, after his visit to Rams Park was canceled?

As for the #2 pick being between Mack and Watkins, you're welcome to think that if that's your opinion. It very well may be right. But it's worth noting that Nick Wagoner was asked if the #2 pick is down to those two guys in a chat recently, based on Walter Football's website reporting that a few weeks ago, and said that was untrue. So whatever he's heard, or speculating about based on what he knows, he seems to think the tackles are in play for the Rams with that first pick.

I hope he's right.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The thing I love and am so excited about this draft is that we have NO clue who the Rams want. Typically if you are picking at #2 we have a pretty good idea of who the team is interested in taking in but this draft offers massive flexibility as we have 2 top 15 picks and can make multiple packages to improve this team.
    HUbison, FestusRam and turbofargo like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The thing I love and am so excited about this draft is that we have NO clue who the Rams want. Typically if you are picking at #2 we have a pretty good idea of who the team is interested in taking in but this draft offers massive flexibility as we have 2 top 15 picks and can make multiple packages to improve this team.
    Agreed. Almost always you can tell it will be one player or the other. This is the first time in a long time that so many options at different picks were so tantalizing! I can't wait for it to be Thursday!!!
    sosa39rams likes this.