throwback week

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

ramifications of potential Texans/Falcons trade?

Texans | Team on verge of acquiring Schaub
    Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:38:20 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans are on the verge of a trade that would send QB Matt Schaub to the Texans in exchange for a swapping of first-round draft picks in this year's NFL Draft, a second-round draft pick in this year's draft and a second-round pick in 2008. Schaub is trying to work out a long-term deal with the Texans. While the deal is not yet finalized, it is expected to be completed Wednesday, March 21.
    Falcons to trade QB Schaub to Texans Click here to find out more!

Adam Schefter By Adam Schefter
    NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(March 21, 2007) -- A trade that has been speculated on for over a year is now completed.

By day's end, the Atlanta Falcons will trade backup quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans, according to NFL sources. The Texans will surrender a second-round draft pick, and there could be other compensation involved.

The trade has massive ramifications. The Texans have their quarterback of the future, which David Carr no longer is. The Falcons are reaffirming their faith in Michael Vick, who now also needs a new backup. And the Texans are out of the Brady Quinn derby, leaving the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins as possible landing spots.

The trade, once officially completed, validates the Falcons' commitment to Vick, whom new Atlanta head coach Bobby Petrino told the first time they met, "You're my guy."

Since then, Petrino and Vick have been working together closely on an almost daily basis, prepping for the coming season.

The Falcons, who quietly had been entertaining offers for Schaub this offseason, had tendered their backup quarterback a $2 million offer, meaning that any team that signed him to an offer sheet would have to surrender first- and third-round draft choices to the Falcons. Of course, the Falcons also could always trade Schaub, and that is the course of action the team has pursued.

The Texans will be acquiring a quarterback that has thrown only 161 career passes, 81 of which were completed, with six touchdown passes and six interceptions. But Schaub long has been considered a quarterback worthy of starting, and he was the top bargaining chip the Falcons have.

Now they've decided to cash it in.
    now im not exactly certain on the proposed trade, but if the teams do switch first rounders do you think it will have a big effect on who is available when the Rams pick?

Country Guest

Re: ramifications of potential Texans/Falcons trade?

Okoye will go at 8 if he is still around. This also means that the Texans probably won't have a shot at Adrian Peterson and will be gowing defense or Levi Brown with their pick.

Great trade for both teams.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think its a terrible trade for houston. They are trading away two #2 picks and droppiing 2 spots at the top of round one to acquire a guy that has started two games in his career when they have the qb that led the entire nfl in completion percentage last year despite getting killed and having no offensive line or running game. No matter what you think of carr, i dont see how you can argue that schaub is going to solve their problems. Texans have lots of holes, i dont think this deal makes any sense at all for them, but i admit, i am a big carr fan.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I am going to say something that I have thought this whole time, Washington at 6 gets Branch and Miami at 9 gets Okoye. This gives Atlanta a chance to draft Carriker due to Kerney leaving for Seattle. With Adams going to Arizona, that leaves Landry or Willis for the Rams at 13.

general counsel is offline Registered User

washington will take jamaal anderson or adams. they have nothing that remotely resembles a pass rush.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Or a rush defense either. Don't be surprised if they take Branch.

Ahh, this is all speculation....which is fun. For all we know, Daniel Snyder will sign a FA or make a trade that sends his next 5 first round draft picks for Randy Moss.

smizzhfx Guest

I don't understand this one at all. David Carr is still a better quarterback than Matt Schaub. If anything, they should be looking to trade wayyy up for Thomas or down for Brown.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think its a terrible trade for houston. They are trading away two #2 picks and droppiing 2 spots at the top of round one to acquire a guy that has started two games in his career when they have the qb that led the entire nfl in completion percentage last year despite getting killed and having no offensive line or running game. No matter what you think of carr, i dont see how you can argue that schaub is going to solve their problems. Texans have lots of holes, i dont think this deal makes any sense at all for them, but i admit, i am a big carr fan.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    If he has the highest completion percent and gets sacked that often maybe he needs to throw the ball away more...

smizzhfx Guest

Its Official:

The Atlanta Falcons have traded quarterback Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans for a second-round pick in this year's draft, a second-round pick in next year's draft, and a flip flop of spots in the first round this year. Atlanta now will go to No. 8 from No. 10; Houston will go from No. 8 to No. 10.
    I don't think this was in Houstons best interest.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I wouldn't be shocked to see Atlanta still go with a safety like Landry. They basically moved ahead of two potential teams with this trade - they've moved in front of Miami and Houston. Miami took a safety last year but could move him to corner, so Landry could have gone there. Houston has virtually nothing at safety and could have been a landing spot for Landry as well. By swapping first round picks with Houston, Atlanta has eliminated two competitors (assuming neither moves again). I don't see Landry going Top Six, and I suspect Minnesota will go with a higher rated player.

As for Houston, they did give up a lot. Props to Atlanta for maximizing the value that they could get for Schaub. It was unlikely that they'd get the mid-first they were rumored to want a while back, but the value of the picks Houston gave up (and the swap down) basically equals a latter first round pick. Schaub certainly is not proven but it would seem GMs see enough in him to think he can be the next great thing. Houston was already linked to Brady Quinn so clearly they were at the very least entertaining the thought of a QB of the future. Now they get to keep their Top 10 pick. If that's enough for them to sleep at night, so be it. Personally I think two second rounders is a bit much for Schaub.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This trade sort of negates the Texans from possibly taking a QB at 8, maybe paving the way for Brady Quinn to drop to Miami at 9

That is of course if two of Oakland, Detroit and Minnesota dont grab a QB.

keith m. klink Guest

wow, i really don't like what the texan's are doing to there team at all. and the fans are paying the price this year and next.i think shaub is a good QB prospect.but i am baffled. they passed on bush, and could have traded down 2-3 picks , or even just take WHAT'S HIS NAME , THE QB FROM TEXAS, THAT WENT TO THE TITAN'S. his name excapes me , but i thing he was rookie of the year or something. AND INSTEAD OF BUILDING AN OFFENSIVE LINE TO PROTECT WHAT I WOULD SAY WAS A REALLY GOOD QB. they do this . if this isn;t walking your dog backwards , i must be smoking something illegal, because this just put's me to bed with a headache.and i don't even really like texas. sorry txram. i don't like george W either. but this will put a big stick in the draft spokes if a team in need of a qb , drafting in front of us grab's carr. they in turn will look to another position, and i'm sure it would be something we need. i see this as a very very bad thing for our spot in the draft. we might start looking for trade partners now. i hear NEW ENGLAND has a few late picks in the round. let's call em now.

Vince Young. Everyone in Austin who are Texans fans are LIVID. ABSOLUTELY LIVID that Vince Young not only didn't get drafted by the Texans but went to the Titans, which is the old Houston Oilers. And they play them twice a year.

Ah, it's nice to be a Rams fan in these parts. You got T.O. up north and you have the bumbling Texans to the east. Our problems don't seem to great at this point.

And Klink, no worries man. Austin is beautiful and if I didn't live in Austin I wouldn't be in Texas.

keith m. klink Guest

HEY txramsfan, i do have a close friend , who's nephew lives in Austin, and he said it is a beautiful place. i live in Syracuse , N.Y. and i would die if i didn't have the change of seasons. you know if its sunny and warm in the high 80's, wait 10 minutes, cus it's gonna rain. and our 4 seasons of snow, summer , snow and oh god , more snow, with the chance of rain. ha ha ha , but yes it is good to be a ram's fan. and i am deeply sorry that you have to be in the same state as T.O. your a good guy, and you don't deserve that at all. I KNOW IT'S TRUE CUZ MY MOMMA SAY IT'S SO!