RamJackson39 Guest

RamJackson's choice for SLB

DeMeco Ryans

DeMeco was a team leader at Alabama and would fill that role very nicely in St.Louis as well. His natural position is SLB so there would be no position change asked of him. He's a smart player who finds his way to the ball and works well through traffic. He was highly productive at Alabama and would be a great addition to the St.Louis defense. I dont see St.Louis selecting him at #11 a possible trade down with another team that may covet Jimmy Williams would be a great move that would allow St.Louis to grab another pick later on.

Sounds like a good day to me

A graduate in December after just seven semesters, DeMeco closed his collegiate career as one of the Tide’s most celebrated players, on and off the field. He was a consensus All-America selection, one of only four in the SEC and the Tide’s first since Chris Samuels in 1999. Ryans was also the 2006 Cotton Bowl Defensive MVP after a team-leading seven tackles and two stops behind the line against Texas Tech. Following spring practice, he was named a 2005 Arthur Ashe, Jr., Sports Scholar. Ryans won the Lott Trophy and was a finalist for the Bednarik, Butkus, Draddy, Lombardi, and Naguski awards. He was the 2005 male recipient of the Bryant Award, symbolic as the Athletic Department’s top student-athlete. He is a three-time Academic All-SEC selection. He started 37 career games and closed his career ranked 5th on the all-time tackle list with 307 career stops. He earned the Mal Moore Leadership Award following spring practice.

2005 (Senior): Ryans lead the team in tackles with 76 which included 9.5 TFLs (-46). He was second on the team with 3.5 sacks (-31). He also recorded an interception, four quarterback pressures, two fumble recoveries, forced a fumble and two pass break-ups. Ryans had perhaps his biggest game of the season against Arkansas when he totaled 15 tackles including two TFLs (-9) and a sack (-5). He also recovered a fumble, broke up a pass and was credited with a quarterback pressure. He was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week for his efforts. He had his second double-digit tackle game of the season against Tennessee, recording 11 stops. He had 1.5 TFLs (-1), a fumble recovery and an interception that preserved the Tide’s victory over the Vols. Ryans is one of six Tide defenders to amass 300 tackles in their career. He ranked second among active SEC defenders in career tackles. Ryans started every game for the Tide this season and has recorded 682 snaps including a season high 77 against LSU. Ryans was the cornerstone of a defense that ranked first in the nation in scoring defense, second in total defense, fifth in pass defense, fifth in pass efficiency defense and ninth in rushing defense.

2004 (Junior): DeMeco used an outstanding spring practice to solidify his hold on the strong linebacker position. He finished the regular season as the Tide's second-leading tackler with 78 stops. He added seven stops behind the line for 12 yards. He forced a fumble against Kentucky and Auburn and recovered one against Western Carolina. He had a season-high 13 tackles in the Music City Bowl against Minnesota and 10 against Arkansas. He started 11 of the Tide’s 12 games and finished with 616 snaps on the season. A strong student in the classroom, DeMeco earned 44 hours of credit in two full semesters and two summer terms. DeMeco has 231 career tackles, 13th on the all-time tackle chart. He earned the Sylvester Croom Commitment to Excellence award following spring practice.

2003 (Sophomore): DeMeco (126), Roman Harper (111) and Derrick Pope (105) combined for the first time in school history to have three players with 100 or more tackles in a season. He carried a 3.50 GPA majoring in Management. The Tide's leading tackler in 2003, DeMeco set the school single game record against Arkansas when he turned in 25 tackles. His 126 season tackles ranked second in the Tide record book behind the 134 tackles by Woodrow Lowe in 1973. He had five double-figure tackle games including Oklahoma (16), Arkansas (25), Southern Miss (13), Tennessee (13) and Auburn (10). He closed with 1.5 sacks for 11 yards (against Southern Miss) and 8.5 stops behind the line for 26 yards. He forced a fumble against Arkansas and recovered one against Tennessee.

2002 (Freshman): One of only two true freshmen to see action (the other was fullback Greg McLain), DeMeco played in every game and was a starter in the season finale against Hawaii. He played a total of 312 snaps on the season. He finished the season with 27 tackles and one stop behind the line for one yard. DeMeco also recovered one fumble and had two quarterback pressures. He had four stops each against Georgia and Ole Miss and his tackle behind the line came against Arkansas.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: RamJackson's choice for SLB

Nother bama player.

RamJackson39 Guest

Re: RamJackson's choice for SLB

Yet the only one that I have said that the Rams SHOULD select. Him and Mark Anderson are the players that I have endorsed. I would LIKE to see Roman Harper. I would LIKE to see Charlie Peprah. I believe the Rams SHOULD draft DeMeco Ryans. He actually played SLB. He actually spent the past 4 seasons at that position. He actually can get off blocks and fight his way through traffic.

Greenway would be the better WLB, I'll give you that. SLB is where DeMeco can use his strength of fighting through traffic. That would be Greenway's weak point. Take a moment away from Iowa and the hating of Alabama because I like to make a joke from time to time. Take a moment and realize that DeMeco put up great numbers at Bama. Is it possible that he was underrated before this season? His sophmore season says that he was one of the best in the country. His junior and senior seasons solidified that. Instead of hating the fact that it is possible that you could be wrong about Greenway being a better SLB, accept the fact that the Rams could get a great player if they go after DeMeco.