Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rip32 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams 1,2,3,4,5th round picks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Nevermind that Williams will miss tackles because he's going for some of those hard hits, and Huff is widely regarded as a great tackler, which is something we need at the safety position.
    Well said,I would rather have a guy who makes tackles consistantly than a guy who misses tackle after tackle and then gets one big hit and is praised on jacked up the next day

:clanram:

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd still take Williams over Huff. Williams is more durable and may go for the hard hit once in awhile but will make it half the time. And How do I know Huff won't be like Reed or Taylor? Show me a video of him laying out someone.
    RamsFan16

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    I'd still take Williams over Huff. Williams is more durable and may go for the hard hit once in awhile but will make it half the time. And How do I know Huff won't be like Reed or Taylor? Show me a video of him laying out someone.

Big Hits are not the only thing that make Taylor and Reed great players like your making it out to be,Archuleta was all about the big hit and we saw how he stunk up the joint last season.Williams is heading down Taylors path now also,he has had some legal troubles in the past year so we could do without that.
    Huff is the way to go any way you spin it

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Williams is more durable and may go for the hard hit once in awhile but will make it half the time.
    And will miss it the other half, and watch his opponent run by uncontested for more yards. Williams is inconsistent and doesn't have a great attitude. He has all the skills, but doesn't play up to his potential at times. How can you even argue that this makes him BETTER than a great tackling safety like Huff?

And How do I know Huff won't be like Reed or Taylor? Show me a video of him laying out someone.
    Ed Reed isn't a top safety in this league simply because he's a hard hitter, though I would argue he's definitely not at the top of the list of hard hitters to begin with.

He's a top safety in this league primarily because he's a ball-hawking playmaker. 21 interceptions in three seasons and the ability to take turnovers to the house for touchdowns.

Gee, I wonder who the phrase "ball-hawking playmaker" and "can take turnovers to the house" could describe?

Quote Originally Posted by NFL Draft Countdown on Michael Huff
    "A playmaker and ballhawk in the secondary"
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL Draft Countdown on Michael Huff
    "Has a knack for taking interceptions to the house"
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL Draft Scout on Michael Huff
    "...four of his six interceptions have been returned for touchdowns, giving him the UT record for interception returns for a TD needs one more INT return for a TD to match an NCAA record."
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL Draft Blitz on Michael Huff
    "Makes a lot of interceptions and might have the best play making ability of any safety in the Nation. Is dangerous anytime he has the ball in his hands."
    Tell me. Knowing what they know now, do you think the Cowboys would still take hard-hitting Roy Williams over Ed Reed in the 2002 draft?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

If you want a ballhawk DB go later in the draft and get Jovon Johnson 17 career INTs undersized though.
    RamsFan16

If you want a ballhawk DB go later in the draft and get Jovon Johnson 17 career INTs undersized though.
    And the Iowa bias takes over.

There's a reason Huff is projected as a Top Ten player while Jovon Johnson is looked at as a Day Two guy. I really hope you're not trying to say you'd take Johnson over Huff, because if that's your case, I really don't know what to tell you.

Rams Fan 16 I think its time to admit that we should take Huff in the first round,the only thing that concerns me is that someone takes him before we pick and if we pass on him I think we would regret it.

Nick way to bring the heat man,good stats and facts:up:

I don't want to take Huff in the first round. I don't want to. I want a LB and Nick did I say Johson was better? No because I know he isn't I said if you want a ballhawk CB go with Johnson I didn't say Johnson first round if he is there 5th 6th or 7th round take him but not the 1st round no way.
    RamsFan16

I don't want to take Huff in the first round. I don't want to. I want a LB
    You have to learn to consider and appreciate other scenarios then. I wanted Ben Watson in 2004, but that doesn't mean I was at all displeased with Steven Jackson. Same in 2005 - I wanted Jammal Brown, but was fine with Alex Barron.

Maybe you didn't mean it to come out this way, but it sounds like you're saying you just don't want Huff. That's ludacrous. Maybe you want someone else more than Huff, but to not want this kid on the Rams makes absolutely no sense to me.

and Nick did I say Johson was better?
    No, which is why I asked.

But you certainly don't seem to be worried about the drop off from Huff to Johnson since you suggested it at the drop of a hat. You seem to think Jovon is some sort of interception machine. Judging by his total, he's grabbed a lot of passes. But I would suspect he's come up with all those picks not as much from his playmaking skill but rather because teams like testing him. There's a reason why Huff is a consensus top 10-15 pick while Johnson will be a late day two guy if he's even drafted. Johnson is undersized at 5'8"-5'9" and does not make up for that with blazing speed since he's estimated to run a 40-time more befitting of an athletic OLB. And this is the guy I'm passing on Michael Huff for? This is like saying not to draft A.J. Hawk because we can get Brian Iwuh later in the draft.

For those that haven't been following the draft for very long, I give this piece of advice. Do not get hung up on one player or one position of need, because you're bound to get disappointed. The Rams need help at LB, yes. But there's a reason teams don't draft with need as their primary consideration. If that was the case, you'd see Reggie Bush go fourth overall this year, if that early. You have to combine need with value and examine who the best players are. We might not need a defensive end as much as a LB or a S, but I'd definitely take Mario Williams over Michael Huff or Greenway/Ryans right now. The "We need a LB the most so we should take a LB" mentality doesn't hold up very well when other better players at other positions are still on the board.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Mario Williams is a special case though. There are certain players that come along every once in a while that cannot be passed up. Personally, I believe that the Texans should use Reggie Bush more as trade bait. I would not be dissapointed with Michael Huff though. I would not be dissapointed with Chad Greenway. I would not be dissapointed with DeMeco Ryans. I wouldnt even be dissapointed with Vernon Davis. As long as the selection upgrades one of the Rams weaker positions, I'm fine with the selection.

A lot of these are questions that might be answered later. Who's to say that we dont resing Archuleta? Do you still draft Huff to be a NCB this season and possibly nothing more after that? I dont think so. Most of these discussions that we have been having will be made pointless by the moves made in Free Agency...

But that doesnt stop it from being pointless fun.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    But that doesnt stop it from being pointless fun.

Thats what is so good about the draft and free agency

Hodgins is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rip32
    Well said,I would rather have a guy who makes tackles consistantly than a guy who misses tackle after tackle and then gets one big hit and is praised on jacked up the next day

cough roy williams

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

chiguy is offline Registered User

I'd still take Roy Williams over anyone on our roster right now at the safety positions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12