View Poll Results: What position should the Rams address in the 2007 Draft?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offensive Line.

3 30.00%
  • Defensive Line.

1 10.00%
  • Defensive Backs.

1 10.00%
  • QB.

2 20.00%
  • WR.

1 10.00%
  • Too soon too tell.

2 20.00%
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Thumbs up The Rams 2007 Potential First Round Draft Pick

I know it's early and injuries and bad performances can change everything, but I know the front office is looking to the future and and I enjoy doing the same.

My vote is that the Rams should trade up to get someone to help out Barron and Pace. If we can get Bulger & Jackson an O line like Troy Aikman & Emmitt Smith had with the Cowboys, the NFL better look out.

With that being said, here's a look to the future of who the Rams might want to consider trading up to get:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/sto...date=7/12/2006
    Josh Beekman, a 6-foot-2, 325-pound right guard, was named to the preseason All-America first team by Rivals.com. He also was named to the 2006 Outland Trophy watch list. The Outland Trophy is awarded to the top interior lineman in college football, as selected by the Football Writers Association of America.

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...an_josh00.html
    Notes
    Talented and agile for his size, Beekman enters his senior campaign as an all-star candidate after having started 24 straight games.

2005 Season
    Started at right guard in each of the team's 12 contests...received All-ACC Second-Team honors after a stellar junior campaign...paved the way for four 100-yard rushing performances and a collective 1,515 yards rushing by L.V. Whitworth and Andre Callender...a member of the ACC's biggest offensive line, weighing a collective 1,586 pounds.

2004 Season
    Started at right guard in all 12 games...paved the way for 100-yard rushing performances from L.V. Whitworth, Andre Callender and A.J. Brooks...saw significant playing time in every game...continued to be a leader for the Eagles off the field as well.

2003 Season
    Proved he will be a mainstay in the Eagles' offensive line for seasons to come with outstanding redshirt freshman year...earned two starts - in the Ball State game, for the injured Augie Hoffmann, and in the Virginia Tech game, for the injured Chris Snee...saw significant playing time in every game...named to The Sporting News Big East All-Freshmen team...key part of an offensive line that paved the way for Derrick Knight to become BC's all-time rushing leader...registered one assist on special teams vs. Pittsburgh ...registered one solo at Virginia Tech.

2002 Season
    Redshirted.

High School
    Earned 2001 All-America honors from PrepStar and All-Northeast honors from SuperPrep...gained Albany Times-Union Co-Player of the Year honors as a senior offensive lineman at Amsterdam High School; became the first-ever four-time member of the Albany Times-Union All-Area team...registered 98 tackles, three sacks and one fumble recovery as a senior...led the Rugged Rams to an 11-1 record in 2001; the team advanced to the state Class A semifinal round...played for head coach Pat Liverio...was also a four-year member of Amsterdam's track and field team; competed in the shot put.

Personal
    Joshua Beekman, born June 30, 1983...enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences...Josh is the youngest of Valerie and Charles R. Beekman Sr.'s three children.

Sounds like a stud and maybe just what we need ensure we have a great O line for a long time.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -09-26-2006 at 04:20 PM.

ramhard is offline Registered User

No need to trade up

If the Rams target is indeed a guard/center in the 1st round then there is no need to trade up. top G/C don't go high and usually go at the end of the 1st or beginning of 2nd unless they are a freak of nature. For example in this year's draft the only interior offensive lineman taken in the 1st were at 23 (G) and at 29 (C). Not worthwhile to trade up. The bigger question is whether it is a value to go interior that early with the rookie G Mark S. in wings and possibly Claude, when there will be needs at WR, CB, SLB, and possibly DE.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams 2007 Potential First Round Draft Pick

You're right, I'm on crack today...it's OTs that frequently go in the top 3...another quote, this one from scout.com:
    "OG Josh Beekman, Sr. Boston College
    Able to potentially end up at center, the 325-pound senior will likely start out at right guard. He's good enough to earn all-star honors at either position with great athleticism and tackle-like pass protection skills."

So when the Rams make the playoffs and have a lower pick, they'll still be in good shape to get him

bigredman is offline Registered User

offensive linemen in the first round are more often than not busts. I think we should take a QB, depending on our draft selection. Right now, I believe the Rams are good enough to be middle of the pack in regards to record. Maybe someone like Leinart can fall to us as happened with Arizona. We need to groom a QB of the future beginning next year I believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

BRM, from the last article I wrote:

Some would suggest the Rams should be looking for a quarterback in round one this coming spring, where senior signal callers Brady Quinn (Notre Dame) and Drew Stanton (Michigan State) look to be first round locks. If Loiusville quarterback Brian Brohm declares (I suspect he wonít though), heís also a clear first round possibility.

But letís consider history once again. The fact that Frerotte was Linehanís choice to lead in Miami rather than one of the more talented quarterbacks available combined with the balanced ball-control system itself suggest that this offense does not need an elite talent at the quarterback position. Therefore, a first round draft pick could be better spent addressing needs at other positions, such as the offensive line, defensive end, linebacker, or safety.

The only way quarterback becomes a real first round option in 2007 is if the Rams completely struggle this season and end up with a pick that gives them a shot at Brady Quinn, since Quinn would likely be one of the highest graded players on anyoneís board in April. At that point, the Rams may find themselves unable to justify taking anyone else. But given the struggles of other teams in this league, I donít see Quinn available when we pick.

So where does that leave those who want the Rams to address the future of the quarterback position? Admittedly, many things can change between now and April, and player ranks will surely slide up and down. But when I look outside of the projected first round talent for the 2007 draft class, Iím not convinced that this is a great group in terms of depth. In fact, as of this point in time, I actually like the 2008 group from a depth perspective more than I do this coming class. And when you consider that Linehanís balanced ball-control offensive scheme has no real need for an elite first round quarterback, making a second-tier prospect a more likely option, I canít help but wonder if the Rams wouldnít be better off waiting to address the future of the quarterback position in 2008.
    Thoughts on this? I'm not opposed to the Rams finding their QB of the future, but this system doesn't require an elite first-round caliber QB so I don't quite see why we should take one when other important positions could be addressed. The Rams could easily find their QB of the future in the second or third round, especially in 2008 when the QB class looks to be pretty deep.

As for linemen in the first round, I think there have actually been a number of guards taken early that have worked out. Look at the guards taken in the first round the last eight years, dating back to 1999:

Davin Joseph (jury's out; injured but was scheduled to start)
    Logan Mankins (starting for Pats)
    Shawn Andrews (starting for Eagles)
    Kendall Simmons (starting for Steelers)
    Steve Hutchinson (starting for Vikes)
    Damien Woody (starting for Lions)
    Matt Stinchcomb (cut)
    Mo Collins (hasn't played for a while)
    Alan Faneca (starting for Steelers)

On that list you've got Hutchinson, Faneca, and Woody, some of the best players at their positions. You've also got Mankins, Andrews, and Simmons, who are very capable starters. Only Collins and Stinchcomb could be considered busts on that list. For as much of a chance we have at drafting a Collins or Stinchcomb, we have an equal chance of drafting a Faneca or Hutchinson, and an even better chance of drafting a very solid starter. Those aren't exactly horrible odds.

Look at the guys who were on the cusp of the first round during that time frame but didn't make it. Guards selected in the top five slots of the second round include:

David Baas (starting for *****)
    Chris Snee (starting for Giants)
    Eric Steinbach (starting for Bengals)
    Travis Claridge (died earlier this year)

Steinbach is one heck of a guard in this league. Snee is a very good starter for New York, and Baas is young but is filling multiple positions on that ***** line.

I just really don't see guard being a big bust position for first round or borderline first round picks. The problem with this class though is the guard group is somewhat suspect and there might not be a good player available and of good value where we pick.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-27-2006 at 12:35 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If we're going interior OL in the first, I think either Justin Blalock or Kyle Young could be rationalized. However, I'm still not convinced there's enough talent on the D side of the ball to go offense in the first. But then again, AT, AM and TS could retire at any time which leaves us with who inside?.....Incognito, Turner, Goldberg, Terrell, & Setterstrom? I'm just not sure there are 3 solid starters in that group.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If we're going interior OL in the first, I think either Justin Blalock or Kyle Young could be rationalized. However, I'm still not convinced there's enough talent on the D side of the ball to go offense in the first. But then again, AT, AM and TS could retire at any time which leaves us with who inside?.....Incognito, Turner, Goldberg, Terrell, & Setterstrom? I'm just not sure there are 3 solid starters in that group.
    Both Blalock and Young are solid options as well. My problem is I think you've got to get yourself out of the top 20 if you want to justify taking an interior lineman in the first. Higher than that and I don't think you can pass on some of the other talent.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Because some of these first round offensive linemen are starting is not indicative of them being true difference makers (except for Hutchinson). I haven't given much thought to who is out there as far as college QBs that will be available in the next draft. From what you have shown, I'm not impressed, but then again, who thought Montana would turn out to be the sensation he would be (not withstanding his supporting cast). I don't know. As I've said, and I'm sure Nick is sick and tired of hearing this from me, the draft is a crap shoot no matter what position you aquire or in what round. All I know is, we need to develop someone beyond Bulger otherthan the QB's we currently have. I also agree that we need to shore up our interior offensive line, except I believe this would be better accomplished through free agency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Country is offline Registered User

Hi everyone.

I think that the first round is way to early to be drafting an OG, OT is one thing but good guards can be found in the 2-4th rounds.

If Drew Stanton is around when we pick then the Rams should take him, but other then that we shgould go defense. A player I like is DE LaMarr Woodley from Michigan he could start off in a roation and eventually replace Leonard Little. In the NFC west with the QBs and passing games that are in the division pass rush will never hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Because some of these first round offensive linemen are starting is not indicative of them being true difference makers (except for Hutchinson).
    They're more than just starters, though. They're high quality players. Faneca is as much on top of his game as Hutchinson is if not more so, and Woody is at the next best tier. Steinbach, Simmons, and Andrews are excellent linemen, and Mankins is making very good strides in New England. We're not just talking about guys who are starting. We're talking about the majority of those guys not just starting but playing very well. Compare that to the quarterbacks drafted over the same span, and it's a much smaller minority that would fit the same description. If we're making a list of positions we're going to avoid because of the bust potential, I really think QB has to be up very close to the top. I agree we need to develop someone behind Bulger, but I don't think that someone needs to be taken in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I think that the first round is way to early to be drafting an OG, OT is one thing but good guards can be found in the 2-4th rounds.
    Perhaps typically, but I'm not so sure in this draft class. It's not exceptionally strong at the interior line positions in terms of good depth. I think grabbing a Justin Blalock in the late first or a Josh Beekman in the second would be a solid choice, because you have to wonder if grabbing someone from this class in the 3rd-5th is going to give us any kind of upgrade over what we already have. And if the goal is to upgrade the line, you need to add talent better than what you've got, IMO.

If Drew Stanton is around when we pick then the Rams should take him, but other then that we shgould go defense.
    Stanton makes me a bit nervous from a consistency standpoint, but he's a great athlete and is certainly the kind of guy you could sit for a season and groom for the pro level. There are some kinks to be worked out with his decision making and some technique issues, but since the Rams wouldn't be needing him to step in any time soon, he'd have the time to work on those.

That beind said though, the only question about Stanton is what kind of other player are we passing up to take an excellent-to-elite prospect that this offense doesn't really need in order to be successful. The only way I think you do that is if the player being taken is leaps and bounds over anyone else available, which I'm not convinced will be the case come draft day.

A player I like is DE LaMarr Woodley from Michigan he could start off in a roation and eventually replace Leonard Little.
    Woodley is an interesting prospect. There's an ongoing debate among some as to whether or not he'd be best as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB. Personally I like him at that 4-3 DE as of right now, and could see him playing on the line rather than standing up. A strong senior season from that position will only support that notion. However, depending on where we end up, we may have a shot at Moses or Adams, whom I'd rank higher right now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Both Blalock and Young are solid options as well. My problem is I think you've got to get yourself out of the top 20 if you want to justify taking an interior lineman in the first. Higher than that and I don't think you can pass on some of the other talent.
    Agreed. If we finish in the teens (which I expect), then interior OL would be a bit of a stretch.....though I am intrigued with Young, not many 330 lb. centers out there.

But in the teens, a G or C would be passing up a lot talent elsewhere.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Country is offline Registered User

Blalock in the 1st would be a great pick because he could start at OG and when Pace moves on we could bump Barron to LT and play Blalock at RT.

Stanton could be scary, but he has some of the abilities as Culpepper in terms of mobility who had great success with Linehan.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Here's my thoughts on the situation depending on where we pick

Top 10: Paul Poslunzny, LB, Penn State.
    Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia.
    Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

10-20: Laron Landry, S, LSU
    Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (Tye Hill will be rooting HARD for this guy)
    Drew Stanton, QB, Michigan State
    Ted Ginn Jr, WR, Ohio State

20-32: Justin Blalock, OG, Texas
    Lamaar Woodley, DE, Michigan
    Michael Griffin, S, Texas
    Kyle Young, C, Fresno State

RED highlights, in my opinion the most likely choice depending on wehre we finish. Big Pauly because we could finish around 10, and he could fall that far, Gaines Adams because I think we're likely to finish around 15 or 16, and he won't last much past there, and Blalock if we finish Early 20's.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I think we need some help at safety in the worst way. And it seems easier to find OL guys through the FA market than in the draft (off-the-cuff impression).