Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    starfoxx Guest

    Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Notes
    - Took me awhile to get this done. So excuse me and feel free to correct any thing I may have over looked.
    - Unfortunately with the coaching search going on, it's going to hinder many sections of the franchise. No one know what's going to happen. Who to scout for, what kind of team exactly are we going to run.
    - I did my best with the NFL comparisons. I went with the best choice that represents the kind of player the prospect would be.
    - I'm trying to soak up all I can with the bowl games. but I'm really looking forward to all the college all-star bowl games. Especially the senior bowl.
    - I probably won't tweak this mock draft until after the all-star bowl games.
    - I'm keeping track of all the underclassmen declaring or not declaring. The final date declare is the 15th of this month.

    Round 01 Pick 02
    Rey Maualuga, USC
    ILB 6'3" 260pds 4.62 Fourty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: An overwhelming presence on defense is something our Rams have been lacking for many years. The 1st Team AP All-American Rey Maualuga has the tools to become that violent presence in the middle of our defense. With his size and strength, he has no problem shedding blocks, one of our biggest problems on our rams defense. He has instincts for the inside run game and his short area quickness. He is a very productive blitzer, which Haslett can take advantage of in his blitzing 4-3 schemes. Impact linebacker who can take over and dominate games. His biggest weakness, doesn't have elite speed for his position.
    College Career Stats: 266 Tackles, 5 Picks, 2 Forced Fumbles, 9 Sacks, 2 TDs
    NFL Comparison: Stewart Bradley, ILB 6'2" 255pds. Eagles - Inside enforcer for the Eagles. 106 tackles and 2 sacks in 2008.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Michael Oher, Ole Miss - OT 6'5" 320pds. A Franchise Left Tackle that has garnered comparisons to Oralndo Pace and Walter Jones.
    Darft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft.

    Round 02 Pick 35
    Eben Britton, Arizona
    OT 6'6" 312pds. 5.05 Fourty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: Highly regarded for his smarts in football. Outstanding work ethic. His quick feet and brute strength are among his best physical attributes. Versatile enough to play both tackle positions. Arizona's most consistent player in their offensive line. Team Leader and 2008 Outland Trophy watch list selection. His stock continues to rise as he is one of the top 10 tackles in the country.
    College Career Stats: 1 Tackle, 37 Straight Games starting at tackle, The last 13 were at Left tackle.
    NFL Comparison: Duane Brown, OLT 6'4" 315pds. Texans - Stellar athleticism at LT for the Texans, a former tight end in college, probably explains his athleticism.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Clint Sintim, Virginia DE/OLB 6'3" 256pds. - If their is one position that definitely needs to filled on the rams is the Strong side Defensive end.
    Draft Status: Junior - Declared for the 2009 NFL Draft.

    Round 03 Pick 66
    Michael Hamlin, Clemson
    SS/FS 6'3" 208pds. 4.56 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: 2008 ALL-ACC CONFERENCE FIRST TEAM. Hamlin is well rounded in his position. Excellent size and instincts. Sure tackler. Keeps everything in front of him. Excels in the box with 281 tackles, holds his own in coverage with 20 passes broken up and 14 picks. He played a vital role in one of the toughest defenses in the NCAA, only allowing 17 points a game. He's smart and savvy. Regarded by team mates as the field general. 19 take a ways in his career at Clemson. Voted permanent defensive captain by his 2007 teammates. May lack the ideal speed you want in a safety.
    College Stats: 281 tackles 14 Picks 2 Forced Fumbles 20 Passes broken Up.
    NFL Comparison: Eric Weddle, S 6'0" 210pds. Chargers - A tackling machine in the NFL. The can play in and out of the box.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Daniel Holtzclaw, Eastern Michigan 6'1" 245pds. - 107 tackles and 4.5 TFL. He has started every game in his collegiate career.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft

    Round 04 Pick 99
    A.Q. Shipley, Penn State
    C 6'1" 300pds. 5.09 Fourty yard Dash
    Synopsis: An outstanding leader, who has the unwavering respect of his teammates. Voted co-captain by his teammates. known for his tenacity and engaging personality. Controls the heart of the Penn State HD offense. Candidate for the Rimington Award for the second consecutive year in a row. Has a strong competitive nature and is a physical monster on the offensive line. 39 game starting streak. One of the top offensive linemen in the Big Ten. Rimington Trophy winner as the nation's top center this season. Could add some more bulk.
    College career Stats: 39 game Starting Streak
    NFL Comparison: Jake Grove, C 6'4" 300pds. Raiders - A hard nose center, respected by his teammates for his grit
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Ramses Barden, Cal Poly-SLO WR 6'6 226pds. - Look at his size. we nee to get rid of Bennett and Develope this guy. 67 Receptions, 1,257 Yards and 18 Touchdowns as a Senior.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft.

    Round 05 Pick 130
    Tom Bradstater, Fresno State
    QB 6'5" 220pds. 4.77 Fourty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: I love his size, arm strength and range. The perfect project to develop for a prominent back up role or maybe even as a starter. A captain and team MVP. This kid is in the top ten of every passing category at Fresno. A natural leader, who sets the example everywhere he goes. He's not just tough but brainy too, working on his masters degree in his senior year. Coming off his best season as a Bulldog and enters the 2008 campaign with his two best single-game performances in wins over Kansas State and Georgia Tech. Too many picks in 2008.
    College Career Stats: 116.11 Passer Rating, 6, 857 Passing Yards, 47 Passing Touchdowns, 55.7 Pass Completions, 32 Picks.
    NFL Comparison: Andrew Walter, QB 6'6" 230pds. Raiders - Great size and incredible arm strength.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Otis Wiley, Michigan State SS 6'2" 210pds - 71 tackles, seven passes broken up and four picks, one of which was returned for a score.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft

    Round 06 Pick 163
    Willie VanDeSteeg, Minnesota
    DE 6'4' 256pds. 4.75 Fourty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: 2008 ALL-BIG TEN CONFERENCE SECOND TEAM. A sack machine for Minnesota. Accounted for 1/3 of Minnesotas 30 sacks. A consistent player that gets to whoever has the ball. Team Captain of the Gohpers defense. Finished the regular season No. 4 in the Big Ten in sacks and tackles for loss. VanDeSteeg is also the Minnesota career leader in tackles-for-loss with 43.5. This kid could be the steal of the draft.
    4 sacks against Michigan State in 2008. Was arrested for assault.
    College Career Stats: 2 Year Totals - 82 Tackles, 1 Forced Fumble, 11 Sacks.
    NFL Comparison: Brian Robison, DE 6'3" 266pds. Vikings - Pure pass Rusher that knows how to gt to the QB.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Wopamo Osaisai, Stanford CB 5'11" 199pds. - An All-Pac 10 second-teamer. 67 tackles, 3.5 TFL and eight passes broken up.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft

    Round 07 Pick 194
    Nate Swift, Nebraska
    WR 6'2" 201pds. 4.55 Fourty Yard Dash.
    Synopsis: Tough and reliable receiver. Good route runner who can get open even while lacking ideal speed. He has deceptive speed. Ranks among the top receivers in numerous receiving categories. Has made many big plays throughout his career. He will do anything you ask him to do for the team. He has ran Kick return, Punt return and receiving duties. His toughness and can do attitude inspires his teammates. His route running and hands will get him some good looks in the draft. He lacks the ideal speed for a receiver at his height.
    College Career Stats: 166 Receptions, 2,476 Receiving Yards, 22 Touchdowns.
    NFL Comparison: Greg Camarillo, WR 6'1" 190pds. Dolphins - A Sure handed receiver. Not the fastest, but gets the job done.
    Previous Pick: N/A
    Alternative Pick: Cullen Harper, Clemson QB 6'4" 215pds. - Once a first round prospect. Definitely worth a 7th round pick.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft
    Last edited by starfoxx; -01-12-2009 at 06:15 PM.


  2. #2
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,210
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Overall I think this is an interesting draft (though not one I see happening). I doubt Nate Swift goes that late, but I don't really pay that much attention. And I'd hope that if we did something like this, that we sign at least one marquee lineman via free agency.

    That all said, if you really think that Stewart Bradley is a good comparison for Malauga, what makes you think he's worth the second pick in the draft. Bradley's a nice player to be sure, but he's not a star and you'd better be picking a star at that spot.

  3. #3
    starfoxx Guest

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Overall I think this is an interesting draft (though not one I see happening). I doubt Nate Swift goes that late, but I don't really pay that much attention. And I'd hope that if we did something like this, that we sign at least one marquee lineman via free agency.

    That all said, if you really think that Stewart Bradley is a good comparison for Malauga, what makes you think he's worth the second pick in the draft. Bradley's a nice player to be sure, but he's not a star and you'd better be picking a star at that spot.


    I understand your views.
    Nate Swifts lack of speed is really going to drop his stock. if he has a great combine? great more power to him, but he's definitely going latein the seconda day.

    I really believe we can get another year out of pace before he retires, why not draft a promising a LT in the second to develop a year behind Pace. That frees of the 2nd overall pick for another position we need to fill.

    Steward Bradley is a menace. The way he blitzes and moves sideline to sideline at his size is remarkable. He is only scratching the surface of what he is capable of. Keep an eye on him.

    I hope I explained my point of view well. Thanks for looking.

  4. #4
    LongBlood's Avatar
    LongBlood is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Visalia, Cali
    Age
    34
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    I HATE Bradstator. I live 45 mins. from Fresno, and he's like another Bulger! He shouldn't even be drafted IMO, take someone from USC that hasn't started and no one has film on instead.

  5. #5
    starfoxx Guest

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    I HATE Bradstator. I live 45 mins. from Fresno, and he's like another Bulger! He shouldn't even be drafted IMO, take someone from USC that hasn't started and no one has film on instead.





    I hear you. I would have put Cantwell, but he failed to live to all his hype. He should have done alot better in the conferenece he's in. 16 picks and 16 touchdowns in 2008.

    With the proper grooming, Tom can be productive. I like the confidence in his trhows, he puts the ball without hesitation.

  6. #6
    chiguy's Avatar
    chiguy is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,210
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    I understand your views.
    Nate Swifts lack of speed is really going to drop his stock. if he has a great combine? great more power to him, but he's definitely going latein the seconda day.

    I really believe we can get another year out of pace before he retires, why not draft a promising a LT in the second to develop a year behind Pace. That frees of the 2nd overall pick for another position we need to fill.

    Steward Bradley is a menace. The way he blitzes and moves sideline to sideline at his size is remarkable. He is only scratching the surface of what he is capable of. Keep an eye on him.

    I hope I explained my point of view well. Thanks for looking.
    You did just fine, it was fun to read. I don't think you're off your rocker or anything.

  7. #7
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,145
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    awfull draft....if the rams went with your advice they would have the same record next year...

    A Linebacker has to be taken in free agency because you cant get anyone to solidify the Offensive Line in Free agency....

    Therefore, You must draft OL and get best LB in free agency


    and your picks round 2 - 7 are awful...nobody would even have a chance at starting on a bad team., except , maybe this Safety from Clemson..

    After FEB COMBINE we get make some sense...

  8. #8
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,951
    Rep Power
    170

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    awfull draft....if the rams went with your advice they would have the same record next year...

    A Linebacker has to be taken in free agency because you cant get anyone to solidify the Offensive Line in Free agency....

    Therefore, You must draft OL and get best LB in free agency


    and your picks round 2 - 7 are awful...nobody would even have a chance at starting on a bad team., except , maybe this Safety from Clemson..

    After FEB COMBINE we get make some sense...
    Wow. Great analysis. While you're at it, could you tell us the winning Power Ball numbers for this week?

    Sarcasm aside, here's a tip: if you want people to take you seriously, try providing a little more specific analysis and a little less denigration.

    As for the mock, I think its interesting. The premise of starting the draft with Maulaluga is intriguing. I think he could be a beast right out of the blocks. I'm concerned, though, with the idea of passing on a top OT and waiting until Rounds 2 and 4 to address the O line.

    I like Brandstater. He's on my initial mock as well. He'll need a good QB coach and some time, but he has serious upside.

  9. #9
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,292
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    I can see alot of time and effort was put into this 2009 Mock Draft 1.0.

    I don't follow the college players as much as I should so this type of forcast is very interesting to me. Thanks

    I can see us going for a MLB or OT in the first round.

    Which need is more glaring? Obviously drafting a MLB would allow us to move Witherspoon back to an outside LB position.

  10. #10
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,109
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Goode job, starfoxx. I would like to make a few comments about the Maualugo pick. You stated in your review that he lacks "elite speed", well if this is the case then there is no way we should consider him as the second pick in the draft. By definition we should ake a player that is, in fact, n elite player with no major questions marks.
    Also you compared the attributes of Maualugo with Philly's Stewart Bradley. But the Eagles got Bradley in the SECOND round; why can't the Rams look for a MLB with comparable skills in the second round or later instead of reaching for Maualugo?

    Overall though I believe you did a good job with your mock so keep up the good work!

    WHAT SAY YE?

  11. #11
    keith m. klink Guest

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Hey STAR , this is K.K. , I myself put alot of effort into rounds 3-7 and available rookie FA's . I will tell you right now that in your 3-7 round area you have 5 players , HAMLIN ,SHIPLEY , BARDEN , BRANDSTATER and WILEY that i have on my 10-player board. ( this early i start with 10 players targeted per round then 5 then 3 until my final 1 pick. ) .

    To me you put alot of effort and your own thought's on this , and i was very impressed with your depth and thought. don't listen too the nay -sayers , AND pay attention to people like AVENGER and NICK and some of the others that bring you information and facts and will debate you on your idea's and feelings toward subjects without telling you that you suck, your an idiot , a moron , smoking stuff in the closet...etc. go with your gut and stand behind it .

    Last year i had the Rams taking LONG - - AVERY- - SCHUENNING- BARTON-GRECO,as targets for the RAMS by me...

    great job !!!

  12. #12
    starfoxx Guest

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow. Great analysis. While you're at it, could you tell us the winning Power Ball numbers for this week?

    Sarcasm aside, here's a tip: if you want people to take you seriously, try providing a little more specific analysis and a little less denigration.

    As for the mock, I think its interesting. The premise of starting the draft with Maulaluga is intriguing. I think he could be a beast right out of the blocks. I'm concerned, though, with the idea of passing on a top OT and waiting until Rounds 2 and 4 to address the O line.

    I like Brandstater. He's on my initial mock as well. He'll need a good QB coach and some time, but he has serious upside.



    I was a little nervous too, but i don't see us getting rid of Pace or Barron yet. Drafting Maualuga would allow us to move Witherspoon to the Outside. Teams will not rack up rushing yards up the gut of are defense anymore.

    I believe Bradstater has the tools to be a sucessful pro QB also . He just needs to be well trained. Besides I'm really tired of the current back up QBS on our roster.

  13. #13
    starfoxx Guest

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I can see alot of time and effort was put into this 2009 Mock Draft 1.0.

    I don't follow the college players as much as I should so this type of forcast is very interesting to me. Thanks

    I can see us going for a MLB or OT in the first round.

    Which need is more glaring? Obviously drafting a MLB would allow us to move Witherspoon back to an outside LB position.


    Which need is more glaring? Good question. I'll lay it out for you. If we draft a franchise tackle, we would have to find a big linebacker somewhere else. I doubt we'll find him in free agency or a trade (no worth signing). I don't see a MLB in the second round that will fill the large void at MLB. So we'll probably stick with Witherspoon and he will get rag dolled by offensive line men all year again.

    If we draft a Luga, well then we have a new starting middle linebacker, all 6'3" 260pds of him. Witherspoon goes to Strongside Linebacker. We get another year out of Pace before her retires. Meanwhile the young tackle we drafted in the second will spend his time learning from one of the best offensive linemen ever.

    Who knows what direction were going. We won't have an idea until we have are new head coach.

    Thanks for looking.

  14. #14
    starfoxx Guest

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Goode job, starfoxx. I would like to make a few comments about the Maualugo pick. You stated in your review that he lacks "elite speed", well if this is the case then there is no way we should consider him as the second pick in the draft. By definition we should ake a player that is, in fact, n elite player with no major questions marks.
    Also you compared the attributes of Maualugo with Philly's Stewart Bradley. But the Eagles got Bradley in the SECOND round; why can't the Rams look for a MLB with comparable skills in the second round or later instead of reaching for Maualugo?

    Overall though I believe you did a good job with your mock so keep up the good work!

    WHAT SAY YE?

    He doesn't run the 4.4s. if he did he would be much smaller. that's not what we want. He's still an elite player because of all the other attributes he possesses. killer Instincts, Sheds blocks with ease, big hitter, superb blitzer, etc. Ray Lewis doesn't have elite speed either, but some how he gets it down. Because he smart and explosive. Get's to the point of contact before the ball carrier knows he's there. Look at Jerry Rice, he wasn't very fast, but he was so skilled and smart and competitive, he did amazing things.

    All i'm saying is Maualuga may run in the high 4.5s in the combine, but you wouldn't be able to tell when it's game time. Trust me, he's quick. He's an elite talent.

    Their are other Thumper middle linebackers in the draft. Antonio Appleby, Virginia 6-4 248. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina 6-3 265. Josh Mauga, Nevada 6-4 246. But none of them more ready to play MLB in the NFL than Luga.

  15. #15
    RAMarkable is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2,109
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

    Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    He doesn't run the 4.4s. if he did he would be much smaller. that's not what we want. He's still an elite player because of all the other attributes he possesses. killer Instincts, Sheds blocks with ease, big hitter, superb blitzer, etc. Ray Lewis doesn't have elite speed either, but some how he gets it down. Because he smart and explosive. Get's to the point of contact before the ball carrier knows he's there. Look at Jerry Rice, he wasn't very fast, but he was so skilled and smart and competitive, he did amazing things.

    All i'm saying is Maualuga may run in the high 4.5s in the combine, but you wouldn't be able to tell when it's game time. Trust me, he's quick. He's an elite talent.

    Their are other Thumper middle linebackers in the draft. Antonio Appleby, Virginia 6-4 248. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina 6-3 265. Josh Mauga, Nevada 6-4 246. But none of them more ready to play MLB in the NFL than Luga.
    We'll just have to see what happens with regards to Maualugo, i guess. Remember that Ray Lewis was drafted #19 years back and even Urlacher was picked, I believe, around #8. Never have I seen a MLB in the top 5.

    Speaking of college thumpers how about McKillop of Pitt? Where do you have him rated?

    WHAT SAY YE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some of our Rams Historical Moments
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live-Feb. 5th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Live Tuesday, January 15
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, Jan 4th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  5. Jim Thomas Live: 12/11/07
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-11-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •