Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    starfoxx is offline Registered User

Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    We'll just have to see what happens with regards to Maualugo, i guess. Remember that Ray Lewis was drafted #19 years back and even Urlacher was picked, I believe, around #8. Never have I seen a MLB in the top 5.

Speaking of college thumpers how about McKillop of Pitt? Where do you have him rated?

WHAT SAY YE?

How many of the teams ahead wished the drafted Lewis or Urlacher earlier. I see what you mean though.

I like McKillop, talk about sure tacklers. Pending his workouts. An early second day prospect. If we decide to take Andre Smith, McKillop deserves strong consideration in the second day.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I see that you put a lot of time and effort into this mock, and I can appreciate that as a fellow draft junkie.

That being said, I don't envision the Rams using a second overall pick on Maualuga. I'm not convinced Rey goes in the top ten, let alone the top five. He does not have the elite physical tools you look for in a top pick. 'That's not to say he's a bad prospect, not at all. But I'm just not sold on him as a top ten lock at this point because I see too many concerns there. And with that being the case, I really can't get behind him at second overall.

On top of that, traditionally middle linebackers as a whole simply aren't good value that high. I'm not sure there's been a MLB taken in the top five in the last decade, primarily because the position is not an every-down position when teams sub into pass packages. Athletic guys like Witherspoon can get away with it because he's not your traditional middle linebacker and has that kind of sideline to sideline range. Maybe the combine will prove me wrong, but I don't think Maualuga has that kind of speed or range.

As for the rest of the picks, I like what you're thinking. Britton has great size and has left tackle potential, could be a great student behind Pace before eventually taking over. I'm anxious to see how he looks at the combine and whether or not he shows the kind of footwork and quickness you want to see from a LT prospect. If he does, he may not last to the second. I like Hamlin because secondary players of that size are hard to come by. He's willing in run support but, as you pointed out, can make plays in coverage as well. As long as he checks out as healthy, he could be someone to watch in the mid rounds. Bradstater is an intriguing mid round QB prospect. Seems like a guy who has a lot of the physical tools, but the question becomes can he make the transition to the next level. And for him it'll be quite a transition. But I think the QB we need to add is one we can sit and groom for a bit, and he fits that bill.

Overall, very nice work!!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Mckillop is projected to go in the third or fourth round. But what I am thinking is, this guy is a bit underrated. He reminds me of Lofa Tatupu. They're both very good tacklers, and they were both projected to go in the third or fourth round. But Seattle made a major reach and got Lofa in the second round, and look what has happened. Lofa is a dominant force in their defense.

All I am saying is Scott Mckillop could be our next MLB. He may or may not excel in the NFL, but I am betting he does.

As for picking Maualauga with our first pick, as much as I would love to see that happen, I don't think it will happen. If we were intent on getting Maualauga, we would probably trade down to the middle of the first round. One thing to consider though is trying to trade to get another late first round pick. If we had another first round pick, we could go with Andre Smith or Michael Oher with our #2 pick, then either draft James Lauranaitis, Brandon Spikes, Alex Mack, or Max Unger.

I would prefer Graham Harrell over Brandstater, but I think Brandstater could develop into a decent QB.

Ramses Barden reminds me of our Drew Bennett. I dislike Bennett, but he brings his size to the table. If Bennett comes back next year, and we DO draft Barden, we would have a lot of redzone targets for Bulger with, McMichael, Barden, Burton, and Bennett. I don't see Avery as a redzone target, mainly due to his size and his playing style. He is more of a speedy, down field threat.

Michael Hamlin is a good SS, and he is one of the SS's that I've been tracking lately. But a few other safeties to consider are Patrick Chung, Sean Smith, and Nic Harris.

Patrick Chung is a solid strong safety with good speed (which our current SS lacks) and is a solid tackler.

Sean Smith has been a beast this year. He is all over the ball, kind of like Atogwe. He is similar to Ron Bartell, who could play corner and safety.

Nic Harris is a linebacker-safety hybrid. He is a good tackler. He's a bit slower than the other safeties mentioned, but that's to be expected from a tweener.

If we decide to draft an OT in the second round, I wouldn't be dissapointed. There are a TON of solid starters in the second-third round.

(If he drops) Ciron Black LSU 6'5 315lbs.
    (If he drops) Eben Britton Arizona 6'6 310lbs.
    William Beaty Conneticut 6'6 315lbs.
    Russell Okung Okla St. 6'5 300lbs.
    (Monster size)Phil Loadholt Okla 6'8 350lbs.
    Trent Williams Okla 6'5 308lbs.
    Troy Kropog Tulane 6'6 305lbs.
    Fenuki Tupou Oregon 6'5 335lbs.
    Sam Young Notre Dame 6'7 320lbs.
    Adam Ulatoski Texas 6'8 312lbs.

As you can see, there are a ton of solid OTs in this draft, and it will be nearly impossible to not upgrade our o-line this off-season.

Other o-linemen in the draft worth consideration are:
    Alex Mack (C)
    Max Unger (C)
    Johnathan Luigs (C)
    Antoine Caldwell (C) (It'd be great if we could get both Andre Smith and Caldwell. They're both teammates and have time together.)

Duke Robinson (G)
    Herman Johnson (G)

All in all, good job starfoxx, good-looking mock draft.

And richtree, the only reason why you think his draft sucks is that he didn't see us going for Kenny Britt in the second round...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I see that you put a lot of time and effort into this mock, and I can appreciate that as a fellow draft junkie.

That being said, I don't envision the Rams using a second overall pick on Maualuga. I'm not convinced Rey goes in the top ten, let alone the top five. He does not have the elite physical tools you look for in a top pick. 'That's not to say he's a bad prospect, not at all. But I'm just not sold on him as a top ten lock at this point because I see too many concerns there. And with that being the case, I really can't get behind him at second overall.

On top of that, traditionally middle linebackers as a whole simply aren't good value that high. I'm not sure there's been a MLB taken in the top five in the last decade, primarily because the position is not an every-down position when teams sub into pass packages. Athletic guys like Witherspoon can get away with it because he's not your traditional middle linebacker and has that kind of sideline to sideline range. Maybe the combine will prove me wrong, but I don't think Maualuga has that kind of speed or range.

As for the rest of the picks, I like what you're thinking. Britton has great size and has left tackle potential, could be a great student behind Pace before eventually taking over. I'm anxious to see how he looks at the combine and whether or not he shows the kind of footwork and quickness you want to see from a LT prospect. If he does, he may not last to the second. I like Hamlin because secondary players of that size are hard to come by. He's willing in run support but, as you pointed out, can make plays in coverage as well. As long as he checks out as healthy, he could be someone to watch in the mid rounds. Bradstater is an intriguing mid round QB prospect. Seems like a guy who has a lot of the physical tools, but the question becomes can he make the transition to the next level. And for him it'll be quite a transition. But I think the QB we need to add is one we can sit and groom for a bit, and he fits that bill.

Overall, very nice work!!

Much respect. Believe me I know Maualuga has his limitations. Understand though, there are guys his size and explosiveness with limited speed in the NFL that are performing very well. i don't think I need to name who they are. We don't want to make him sound like he's slow, he has the right kind of speed for a guy as big as he is. He still has burst and takes great angles. he's proven he can hold his own in coverage.

I just really belive we need to start bulking are defense. Long and Carriker was a good start. Lets continue to fortify with Luga.

You are probably right about Britton. Last year their was this crazy run on offensive tackles. he may not make it to the second. But were right at the top the second round. Maybe he will slip.

Though I thknk Atogwe is a little overrated, he still got alot of picks. he needs to stay in deep coverage while Hamlin not Chavous (Blah) plays closer to the box. We need to use Atogwes ball skills in coverage while Hamlin is the hard hitting safety.

Bradstater is definitely a project pick. It's time we start adding some fresh bodies to the QB mix.

You have made some very good points. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Mckillop is projected to go in the third or fourth round. But what I am thinking is, this guy is a bit underrated. He reminds me of Lofa Tatupu. They're both very good tacklers, and they were both projected to go in the third or fourth round. But Seattle made a major reach and got Lofa in the second round, and look what has happened. Lofa is a dominant force in their defense.

All I am saying is Scott Mckillop could be our next MLB. He may or may not excel in the NFL, but I am betting he does.

As for picking Maualauga with our first pick, as much as I would love to see that happen, I don't think it will happen. If we were intent on getting Maualauga, we would probably trade down to the middle of the first round. One thing to consider though is trying to trade to get another late first round pick. If we had another first round pick, we could go with Andre Smith or Michael Oher with our #2 pick, then either draft James Lauranaitis, Brandon Spikes, Alex Mack, or Max Unger.

I would prefer Graham Harrell over Brandstater, but I think Brandstater could develop into a decent QB.

Ramses Barden reminds me of our Drew Bennett. I dislike Bennett, but he brings his size to the table. If Bennett comes back next year, and we DO draft Barden, we would have a lot of redzone targets for Bulger with, McMichael, Barden, Burton, and Bennett. I don't see Avery as a redzone target, mainly due to his size and his playing style. He is more of a speedy, down field threat.

Michael Hamlin is a good SS, and he is one of the SS's that I've been tracking lately. But a few other safeties to consider are Patrick Chung, Sean Smith, and Nic Harris.

Patrick Chung is a solid strong safety with good speed (which our current SS lacks) and is a solid tackler.

Sean Smith has been a beast this year. He is all over the ball, kind of like Atogwe. He is similar to Ron Bartell, who could play corner and safety.

Nic Harris is a linebacker-safety hybrid. He is a good tackler. He's a bit slower than the other safeties mentioned, but that's to be expected from a tweener.

If we decide to draft an OT in the second round, I wouldn't be dissapointed. There are a TON of solid starters in the second-third round.

(If he drops) Ciron Black LSU 6'5 315lbs.
    (If he drops) Eben Britton Arizona 6'6 310lbs.
    William Beaty Conneticut 6'6 315lbs.
    Russell Okung Okla St. 6'5 300lbs.
    (Monster size)Phil Loadholt Okla 6'8 350lbs.
    Trent Williams Okla 6'5 308lbs.
    Troy Kropog Tulane 6'6 305lbs.
    Fenuki Tupou Oregon 6'5 335lbs.
    Sam Young Notre Dame 6'7 320lbs.
    Adam Ulatoski Texas 6'8 312lbs.

As you can see, there are a ton of solid OTs in this draft, and it will be nearly impossible to not upgrade our o-line this off-season.

Other o-linemen in the draft worth consideration are:
    Alex Mack (C)
    Max Unger (C)
    Johnathan Luigs (C)
    Antoine Caldwell (C) (It'd be great if we could get both Andre Smith and Caldwell. They're both teammates and have time together.)

Duke Robinson (G)
    Herman Johnson (G)

All in all, good job starfoxx, good-looking mock draft.

And richtree, the only reason why you think his draft sucks is that he didn't see us going for Kenny Britt in the second round...

Well said.

I'm keeping my eye on Sam Young. Waiting to see if he declares or not.

Every time I see Bardens size (6'6" 220pds), I almost want to cry. I just hope he blows everyone away with a great 40 at the combine and his pro day. I'm pretty bias when it comes to receivers. I like a 6'3 219 receiver that runs a 4.4. Not a 5'9" 180 receiver that runs a 4.3.

All good safeties. We probably won't get him, but Taylor Mays is a luxury pick. When i saw him lay out two people at the same time with one hit at the rose bowl. I was sold on him. lol.

I appreciate your insight. Definitely considering all of it for the next mock.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by starfoxx View Post
    Well said.

I'm keeping my eye on Sam Young. Waiting to see if he declares or not.

Every time I see Bardens size (6'6" 220pds), I almost want to cry. I just hope he blows everyone away with a great 40 at the combine and his pro day. I'm pretty bias when it comes to receivers. I like a 6'3 219 receiver that runs a 4.4. Not a 5'9" 180 receiver that runs a 4.3.

All good safeties. We probably won't get him, but Taylor Mays is a luxury pick. When i saw him lay out two people at the same time with one hit at the rose bowl. I was sold on him. lol.

I appreciate your insight. Definitely considering all of it for the next mock.
    Agreed. I also would rather have a quick, tall receiver that can jump up to snatch the ball rather than a speedy small receiver. With great respect to Steve Smith, who is an amazing receiver that is also on the short side, I would much rather have a Calvin Johnson type or Randy Moss type. Not to say that small speedy receivers aren't good players.

I would love to get Taylor Mays. He and Atogwe would make great dual-coverage safeties, and unlike Atogwe, Mays can bring down guys with HARD HITS. I think picking him at #2 would be quite a reach though, as I see him going near the middle picks. If we were to trade down to get him though, I would be content. Either him or Maualauga would be great mid-first round picks.

Barden could be an great asset to this team.

I am really hoping forward to this draft. There are so many talented players this year, and we really can't go wrong, unless we pick Tim Tebow for our first round pick, followed by getting Dan Kelly the kicker out of Hawaii in the second, then Kevin Huber the punter in the third, and then drafting Brannon Southerland the fullback in the fourth, then John Parker Wilson the QB from Alabama in the fifth...you know where this is going.

My point is, as long as we don't make crazy, unintelligent reaches, and pick kickers in the second round, then we shall be fine.

And if we pick Chris Pizzotti the QB from Harvard with our 6 or 7th round pick, I will be very angry. He will end up like Ryan Fitzpatrick, who we all know. Those Ivy League boys...
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-06-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wow. Great analysis. While you're at it, could you tell us the winning Power Ball numbers for this week?
    Seven...
    Twelve...

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Overall, I like it. I don't know how Shipley's stock will change given the fact that that Penn State offense got run over against Maualuga and the rest of the Trojans D. At 6'1, 300 and a team leader he's a little undersized and might compare better to our own Brett Romberg as a pro candidate.

Maualgua I don't see in the top five, so unless the Rams can orchestrate a trade back, which at this point appears pretty unlikely, I don't think he'll be the pick. As unsure as I am of Alabama OT Andre Smith at pick 2 after his recent suspension, my spidey sense is tingling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Overall, I like it. I don't know how Shipley's stock will change given the fact that that Penn State offense got run over against Maualuga and the rest of the Trojans D. At 6'1, 300 and a team leader he's a little undersized and might compare better to our own Brett Romberg as a pro candidate.

Maualgua I don't see in the top five, so unless the Rams can orchestrate a trade back, which at this point appears pretty unlikely, I don't think he'll be the pick. As unsure as I am of Alabama OT Andre Smith at pick 2 after his recent suspension, my spidey sense is tingling.

I hope he's nothing like Brett. Shipley will be drafted. Romberg went undrafted. I hope that Shipley has good workouts and performs well at the All-star bowl games. We really need to draft a center this year and stop signing these guys from free agency. We draft a center and leave him there for the rest of his career.

I'm not big on trading down, but if it means getting another first day pick and still getting Mauluga, Spikes, Cushing or Laurinaitis I'm all for it.

Thanks for looking. Very good points.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Great Job I like it!
    You filled the Rams weaknesses except DT. With Leroy Glover Retireing, the Rams will Need help there.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I love the comparison to the lack of speed Rice had. Funny thing about Rice's lack of speed is how nobody ever seemed to catch him...

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Great Job I like it!
    You filled the Rams weaknesses except DT. With Leroy Glover Retireing, the Rams will Need help there.
    i figured with adam, glover and clif manning the interior line, we could skip this years draft on defensive tackles. if glover is really retiring that could be a big problem. devaney has expressed desire to add a space eating defensive tackle. i'm not sure where he wants to find him.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    I love the comparison to the lack of speed Rice had. Funny thing about Rice's lack of speed is how nobody ever seemed to catch him...
    players like him don't have blazing 40s. but when their in the game, they have what some people like to call "game speed".

phillyram is offline Registered User

i love this draft

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12