starfoxx is offline Registered User

Rams 2009 Mock Draft 2.0

Notes

- If you have NFL Network, check out senior bowl week. Their covering all the practices leading up to the Senior Bowl This Saturday.
    - Now we have a head coach. Now we have an idea what kind of team were going to be. I like the idea have Spags extracting the best out of Chris Long and the rest of our defensive line.
    - NFL grants 46 underclassmen special eligibility for 2009 NFL Draft. Check out NFL.com for the complete list.
    - It's going to be hard to find a Stud fierce linebacker after the first round. If we don't trade down or up to get Maug or Laurinaitis. Were in trouble.
    - Did my best with the NFL comparisons. I went with the best choice that represent the kind of player the prospect could be.
    - Please feel free to correct any mistakes and suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Round 01 Pick 02
    Michael Oher, Mississippi
    OLT 6'5" 332pds. 5.20 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: Pace can't stay healthy and Barron has not turned out to what he was drafted at., if were going to rebuild this offensive line. We better start with left tackle. This year Michael Oher was on everyone’s First Team All-American list and is unanimously rated as the top offensive lineman prospect for the 2009 NFL Draft. A consensus All-American. A four year starter in the SEC facing top defensive linemen. Regarded as the most complete offensive linemen since Orlando Pace out of Ohio State. A special talent with proto type size and a mean streak. Scouts can't stop talking about his technique. The way he uses his hands and controls opposing defenders wows pro scouts. He plays with excellent knee bend, uses proper leverage and slides his feet very well. He plays with excellent balance and is solid muscle. Very mature. Can be plugged in at Left Tackle day one.
    College Career Stats: 47 Consecutive starts.
    NFL Comparison: Marcus McNeill, Chargers OT 6'7" 330pds. Made the pro bowl his rookie year. Should never have made it out of the 1st Round.
    Previous Pick: Rey Maualuga, USC ILB - Maybe second overall is too high for a middle linebacker. Hopefully he can prove he's worthy at the Senior Bowl, Combine and USC Pro day.
    Alternative Pick: Andre Smith, Alabama OT 6'4" 330pds - All-American OLT. Considered to be one of the best young offensive lineman in the nation. To bad his pass blocking is not on the same level of his exceptional run blocking.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft

Round 02 Pick 35
    Brian Cushing, USC
    OLB/MLB/DE 6'4' 255pds. 4.65 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: If we take an offensive tackle in the first, were going to have trouble finding that powerful middle linebacker after the first round. Brian Cushing has outstanding physical build. Unbelievable strength. Very versatile. Second team All-American. Plays sideline to sideline. Fierce attitude in the box and explodes into tackles. Could project inside or outside in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive schemes. Has played defensive end, outside linebacker, Safety and inside linebacker for the Trojans. His strength and speed will allow him to shed blocks with ease. Did I mention he is extremely versatile. Has excellent quickness for his size. Holds his own in coverage. Sure tackler. Cushing was named the Defensive MVP of the Rose Bowl Game, after recording 2˝ sacks and forcing a third-quarter fumble that changed the momentum of the game. I like the idea of him playing in the middle of our rams defense.
    College Career Stats: 44 Games Played, 178 Tackles, 27 Tackles For Loss, 8.5 Sacks, 1 Pick.
    NFL Comparison: Kawika Mitchell, Bills LB - A type of player Spags covets. A player that can do everything at his position. Coverage, Blitz, and stuffs the run.
    Pevious Pick: Eben Britton, Arizona OT - As his stock continues to rise, he'll probably go in the first.
    Alternative Pick: William Beatty, Connecticut OT 6'6" 310 - All-Big East first-teamer. 22 starts at Left Tackle.

Round 03 Pick 66
    Ron Brace, Boston College
    NT/DT 6'3" 332pds. 5.24 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: If Devaney is serious about getting bigger in the trenches, here's his chance with 6'3" 330+ monster in Ron Brace. His value can't be measured by his stat sheet. He earns his respect by eating gaps and taking on blockers. Outstanding lower and upper body strength. A mauler in the trenches. Walks blockers right into the QB. Collapses the pocket on a regular bases. Good instincts and awareness. Great strength and stubbornness at the point of attack. Brace was apart of a rush defense that was 7th in the nation. Named to the 2008 Outland Trophy Watch List.
    College Career Stats: 47 games Played, 85 Tackles, 23 Tackles for Loss, 5.5 Sacks.
    NFL Comparison: Gabe Watson, Cardinals NT - The tank in the middle of the Cardinals defense. He doesn't have great stats, but eats up blockers and allows his linebackers to go to work.
    Previous Pick: Michael Hamlin, Clemson SS - A thumper in the box. Also plays the ball well in the air. Voted permanent defensive captain by his 2007 teammates.
    Alternative Pick: Mike Mickens, Cincinnati CB - 66 tackles, 9 passes broken up, 4 picks, and a pick-six.
    Darft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft

Round 04 Pick 99
    Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest
    SS 6'2" 218 4.49 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: Chavous has got to go, I respect his knowledge, but he can't apply it physically. Vaughn is a superior tackler. Thrives playing in the box and against the run. An explosive tackler and will deliver the big hit. Extremely tough and durable. Good range and instincts. A blue-collar prospect who certainly isn't flashy but has adequate physical tools and even better intangibles. Recorded 100+ tackles his junior season, leading the team. Respected by his teammates for his aggression. Very active on the field. Senior Bowl Invitee.
    College career Stats: 50 Games Playes, 258 Tackles, 22 Pass Broken Up, 3 Picks.
    NFL Comparison: Yeremiah Bell, Dolphins SS - A player that roams the Dolphin secondary laying big hits on any ball carrier. His leadership and play making ability is signature of the Dolphins Defense.
    Previous Pick: A.Q. Shipley, Penn State C - The heart of the Nittany Lions Offensive line. Tough and Tenacious. Outstanding leader.
    Alternative Pick: Eric Wood, Louisville C - The main man in the Louisville trenches, tough and reliable. With the proper grooming can be a 10+ year NFL center.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft.

Round 05 Pick 130
    A.Q. Shipley, Penn State
    C 6'1" 300pds. 5.09 Forty yard Dash
    Synopsis: If there is one major problem our Rams have is, we can't find a center to stick with. How can we be productive when the core of the offensive line is constantly a revolving door. Shipley is a very respected leader by his team mates. A.Q. Shipley has started every game the past two years and was named to the All-Big Ten first team. Co-captain for the Nittany Lions in 2008. AP All-America second-teamer. Very consistent at his position.
    College career Stats: A.Q. Shipley started the final 39 games of his collegiate career
    NFL Comparison: Jake Grove, C 6'4" 300pds. Raiders - A hard nose center, respected by his teammates for his grit.
    Previous Pick: Tom Brandstater, Fresno State QB - Proto Type size and big arm. Needs to be groomed well before he can begin to contribute.
    Alternative Pick: Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois RB - Very unknown, but very productive. 1,784 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns in 2008.

Round 06 Pick 16
    Mike Teel, Rutgers
    QB 6'4" 220pds. 4.85 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: We need to start adding some young QBs to the roster. Green and Berlin don't inspire confidence. Teel completed 22 of his 37 passes for 319 yards included a fourth quarter drive to take the lead for good. Good arm strength. Slow start to the season, but he made up for it with an incredible performance in the latter part of the season. Teel threw for 1,125 yards, 10 touchdowns and just one interception. He also completed 68.8 percent of his passes in that span.
    College Career Stats: 9, 398 Passing Yards, 59 Passing Touchdowns and 49 Picks.
    NFL Comparison: Jordan Palmer, Bengals QB - Young QB that has alot to learn
    Previous Pick: Willie VanDeSteeg, Minnesota DE - A consistent player that gets to whoever has the ball.
    Alternative Pick: Brandon Myers, Iowa TE - A member of the All-Big Ten First Team. 441 Receiving Yards and 4 Touchdowns this season.

Round 07 Pick 194
    Kyle Moore, USC
    DE 6'6" 275pds. 4.79 Forty Yard Dash
    Synopsis: I'm pretty sure Spags is going to start stock piling pass rushers. Moores size and strength will allow him to bull rush his way to the quarterback. He can still finesse his way to the backfield also. Could be a highly effective back up in the NFL. Moore was an integral part shutting down Ohio State, Moore recorded eight tackles, including two for a loss of a total of 19 yards. He also had one sack. And, just to add to his day, Moore also recovered a fumble.
    College Career Stats: 75 Tackles, 7 Sacks, 2, Picks.
    NFL Comparison: Greg White, Buccaneers DE - In rotation, White managed to get 5 sacks in 2008.
    Previous Pick: Nate Swift, Nebraska WR - Tough and reliable receiver
    Alternative Pick: David Richmond, San Jose State WR - Big receiver who has been a threat in the red zone all year. 70 catches, 806 yards and seven scores.
    Draft Status: Graduating and Entering Draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 2.0

Oher has a lot of ground to make up IMO if he's going to be worthy of the second overall pick. He's inconsistent and needs work on his technique after getting by mostly on physical ability at Ole Miss.

I think Cushing is more of a 3-4 OLB than he is a 4-3 MLB. I don't think he fits well with us on the inside, but I could be proven wrong in workouts.

Like the third round pick in Brace. He's one of the most talked about NT prospects in this draft. Nothing like 330+ pounds to help improve against the run.

After using two consectutive picks on the defensive side, I'd probably prefer going back to offense with Eric Wood in the fourth over Chip Vaughn. But I think Vaughn is a good pick there.

Shipley was in your last mock, correct? I take it he's a guy you like, and there's a lot to like about him as a mid-round pick. Leadership skills and tenacity as a blocker are positives.

As a Big East fan, I'm indifferent about Teel. IMO, a guy with his experience should probably have put the inconsistency behind him by this point in his career. He had a good bowl performance though, and you can't really complain in the sixth round.

I like Moore in the seventh if he's there. He flashes some ability that a guy like Spags might be able to get something out of. I tend to agree with you in that I think Spags is going to want to build up some depth and a good rotation along the DL.

Overall, another nice one Foxx! Great insight with every pick!

shower beers is offline Registered User

I don't believe Cushing will make it to the second round, but if he does, he's certainly worth looking at. He's got a good size for the middle, but perhaps lacks a bit of speed needed for the position. For me, it's too soon to tell.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Good mock Fox. What makes you think Kyle Moore will last until the 7th round, because for some reason I think he'll go sooner. Is it because he was overshadowed on that USC defense, or just his play alone?

rcdavis1980 is offline Registered User

I like Andre Smith at #2. I am an Alabama grad and have seen every play the last 3 years and Andre is the best run blocking OL I have ever seen. He would be great at clearing the lanes for Steven Jackson and creating a ball control offense to compliment Spags D. The rest of the mock looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oher has a lot of ground to make up IMO if he's going to be worthy of the second overall pick. He's inconsistent and needs work on his technique after getting by mostly on physical ability at Ole Miss.

I think Cushing is more of a 3-4 OLB than he is a 4-3 MLB. I don't think he fits well with us on the inside, but I could be proven wrong in workouts.

Like the third round pick in Brace. He's one of the most talked about NT prospects in this draft. Nothing like 330+ pounds to help improve against the run.

After using two consecutive picks on the defensive side, I'd probably prefer going back to offense with Eric Wood in the fourth over Chip Vaughn. But I think Vaughn is a good pick there.

Shipley was in your last mock, correct? I take it he's a guy you like, and there's a lot to like about him as a mid-round pick. Leadership skills and tenacity as a blocker are positives.

As a Big East fan, I'm indifferent about Teel. IMO, a guy with his experience should probably have put the inconsistency behind him by this point in his career. He had a good bowl performance though, and you can't really complain in the sixth round.

I like Moore in the seventh if he's there. He flashes some ability that a guy like Spags might be able to get something out of. I tend to agree with you in that I think Spags is going to want to build up some depth and a good rotation along the DL.

Overall, another nice one Foxx! Great insight with every pick!

I know what you mean about Oher. Andre Smith is a great talent, his run blocking is incredible. His pass blocking isn't talked about as much though. Between the two, Oher is more athletic.

Maybe he is more suited to the 3-4. But he so athletic and versatile, I really think he can learn to play the middle. After the first round, their is a bit of a drop off.

Yeah I've grown to like every player on that Wake Forest Secondary. Shipley reminds of Jeff Saturday. If you've ever seen Saturday play, he's a Bulldog.

I really like Tom Brandstater, but he had to show off his arm in the east/west shrine game. Lasers i tell you. So he stock most likely went up. Teel was my next choice late in the second day. Honestly, I don't know much about him. I like his size and his strong finish in 2008.

I"m all for fortifying the trenches. Moore would be a great addition for the strong side of the defensive line.

Appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Good mock Fox. What makes you think Kyle Moore will last until the 7th round, because for some reason I think he'll go sooner. Is it because he was overshadowed on that USC defense, or just his play alone?

He was overshadowed and most teams won't be looking for a 270+ DEs with a 4.8 Forty.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Great mock fox.

I like the Oher pick. Andre Smith is a great run blocker, but we also have a need for pass protection, which Smith probably won't give us. Monroe could be another possibility here.

I don't think Cushing is going to fit into our defense. I'm not saying he can't make the transition, but I think he's more suited to play outside. Another choice here would be Clint Sintim (LB) or Patrick Chung (SS).

I love the Ron Brace pick. We need a guy like him to plug our middle up, and give our linebackers some much needed space to work with. With Brace picking up double teams, our linebackers will be free to roam the field easier and make the play or tackle. Another choice here could be Scott Mckillop,(LB) assuming if we don't pick LB in the second.

Vaughn is a good pick, and had a pretty nice senior season. I would also look at Michael Hamlin (SS) or Sean Smith (SS) here. They are projected to go in an earlier round, but the combine and other issues may cause them to slip.

Shipley is a nice pick here. Solid center, and will give our line a much needed boost. If Eric Woods drops to here, we may want to consider taking him instead though.

Teel is a good choice here.

I like Moore here, and he will add even more youth to our line. Hopefully with Spags guidance, this guy can turn into a pretty decent rotational player, and maybe even end up with a starting job.
    We may want to consider Jorvorskie Lane here (FB). He can open up lanes for Jackson, as he's almost as big as some o-linemen.

keith m. klink Guest

Nice job , being from big east , Teel is not the answer . there are some others with better mechanics and stronger arms and that have increased success through their 4 years . I have 7 QB's on my radar , all after the 2nd round and no underclassmen . so sorry . Again , good job !

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Great mock fox.

I like the Oher pick. Andre Smith is a great run blocker, but we also have a need for pass protection, which Smith probably won't give us. Monroe could be another possibility here.

I don't think Cushing is going to fit into our defense. I'm not saying he can't make the transition, but I think he's more suited to play outside. Another choice here would be Clint Sintim (LB) or Patrick Chung (SS).

I love the Ron Brace pick. We need a guy like him to plug our middle up, and give our linebackers some much needed space to work with. With Brace picking up double teams, our linebackers will be free to roam the field easier and make the play or tackle. Another choice here could be Scott Mckillop,(LB) assuming if we don't pick LB in the second.

Vaughn is a good pick, and had a pretty nice senior season. I would also look at Michael Hamlin (SS) or Sean Smith (SS) here. They are projected to go in an earlier round, but the combine and other issues may cause them to slip.

Shipley is a nice pick here. Solid center, and will give our line a much needed boost. If Eric Woods drops to here, we may want to consider taking him instead though.

Teel is a good choice here.

I like Moore here, and he will add even more youth to our line. Hopefully with Spags guidance, this guy can turn into a pretty decent rotational player, and maybe even end up with a starting job.
    We may want to consider Jorvorskie Lane here (FB). He can open up lanes for Jackson, as he's almost as big as some o-linemen.

I'm really worried about not being able to get the middle linebacker we need. I like the Pitt product, But i don't think he's big enough to shed blocks consistently.

After the first round, we better get the biggest and strongest linebacker we can get. That's why I picked Cushing. I know Spags will love his versatility. Blitzing from any direction.

I like everything you said. Great input.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Starfoxx great job!
    I liked your picks . I think Kyle Moore DE,USC will be gone before round 7.
    i like QB Tom brandstater.
    Cushing has great size and speed! I don't understand why people don't think he would be a great ILB.
    I like Oher over Smith!
    Your draft helped alot of the Rams weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    Starfoxx great job!
    I liked your picks . I think Kyle Moore DE,USC will be gone before round 7.
    i like QB Tom brandstater.
    Cushing has great size and speed! I don't understand why people don't think he would be a great ILB.
    I like Oher over Smith!
    Your draft helped alot of the Rams weaknesses.
    He probably will. He could play the interior of the defensive line also.

Tom Brandstater showed his arm off at the east west shrine game.

I really do believe he's versatile enough to play anywhere. I can only hope can make a transition to the Mike position.

I like Oher too. He's very good and both aspects of blocking. Smith is a mauler in the Run game, but has some extra work to do on pass protection.

Thanks for looking. Your input is appreciated.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rcdavis1980 View Post
    I like Andre Smith at #2. I am an Alabama grad and have seen every play the last 3 years and Andre is the best run blocking OL I have ever seen. He would be great at clearing the lanes for Steven Jackson and creating a ball control offense to compliment Spags D. The rest of the mock looks good.
    I agree. rcdavis what have you heard about Andre Smith weight problem and if he is a little on the lazy size. I heard one of the draft guys mention that and said he is not as good as Jake Long.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I agree. rcdavis what have you heard about Andre Smith weight problem and if he is a little on the lazy size. I heard one of the draft guys mention that and said he is not as good as Jake Long.

I don't think he will let his weight become a bigger issue. Jake long was touted for being a great run and pas blocker. Andre Smith is a amazing run blocker and an ok pass blocker. His size and weight will cause problems in pass protection, he may not be quick enough for speed rushers.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

How is it that shipley beat out Mack for the nations best center this year? They still rate Mack much higher in the polls.