starfoxx is offline Registered User

Rams 2009 Mock Draft 3.0 Pre Combine

Notes

- The NFL Combine is coming up. February 18 - 24. The NFL Network has full coverage.
    - Thanks for looking.

Rams 2009 Mock Draft 3.0 Pre Combine

Round 01 Pick 02
    Eugene Monroe, Virginia.
    OT 6'6" 315pds 5.23 Forty.
    Synopsis: A pure left tackle. Outstanding prototypical size for a prospective NFL tackle. Very light on his feet and athletic. He will be able to match up well with speed rushers in the NFL with his great footwork and strong punch. Long arms and great lower body strength. Very disciplined pass protector. Recovers very quickly when beat. Smooth and fluid in his lateral movement. Understands positioning and angles. A First Team All-American. Very confident, understands the importance of protecting the blindside of the signal caller. Very good in the run game and Stellar in pass protection. This is the kind of player the Rams need, to anchor are offensive line for 10+ years.
    Logic Behind Pick: If were truly in rebuilding mode, we must start in the trenches. We need a pure left tackle in the draft or the top defensive linemen.
    College Career Stats: 2008 AP All-American
    NFL Comparison: Jammal Brown, New Orleans Saints - His strength and athleticism allows him to be one of the top blindside blockers in the league.
    Previous Pick: Michael Oher, Mississippi OLT 6'5" 332pds. 5.20 Forty
    Alternative Pick: Rey Maualuga, USC MLB - Will reek havoc in the NFL for many years to come
    Darft Status: Senior. Entering NFL Draft. Invited to Combine.

Round 02 Pick 35
    Ron Brace, Boston College.
    DT/NT 6'3" 329pds 5.20 Forty.
    Synopsis: A powerful tackler. Watched him push around offensive line like little kids at the senior bowl practice. Will take on blockers and collapse pockets. Excellent against the run. Even though he had a good career, college numbers wise. His true value can't be recorded as stat. Being able to eat multiple blockers and allowing the linebackers to roam free is where he will make the big bucks. 2008 ALL-ACC CONFERENCE SECOND TEAM. Tough and plays through injuries. Drafting Brace will send a big message to other NFL teams, for now on, find somewhere us to run the ball.
    Logic Behind Pick: We're still to soft on our interior defensive line. We need a player that can eat multiple blocks and stuff the run. .
    College Career Stats: 47 Games. 85 Tackles. 23 Tackle for Loss. 5.5 Sacks.
    NFL Comparison: Pat Williams, Minnesota Vikings - A mass in the middle if the Viking defense. Swallows up blocks and allows Allen and Kevin to shoot into the backfield.
    Previous Pick: Brian Cushing, USC OLB/DE 6'4' 255pds. 4.65 Forty
    Alternative Pick: Troy Kropog, Tulane OLT - A very strong blcoker in the run game. Member of the All-Conference USA First Team.
    Darft Status: Red Shirt Senior. Entering NFL Draft. Invited to Combine.

Round 03 Pick 66
    Brian Robiskie, Ohio State.
    WR 6'3" 207pds 4.49 Forty.
    Synopsis: A definite steal if we can snatch him in the 3rd. Great size and hands. Has decent speed, just right for his build. Runs very nice routes. Smart, savvy, productive and deceptive. Will block down field. A true student of the game and his position. Before the switch to Pryor, Robiskie was doing very well with Boeckman, showing he can go up and catch the deep passes. Can be a valuable red zone threat in the NFL. A very smooth and well polished receiver. Can get in and out of routes very quickly. Could be a nice compliment to Avery and Burton while in the slot.
    Logic Behind Pick: I've lost faith in the Bennetts ability to stay healthy and be productive. We need to continue infusing youth into are wide receiving corp. Avery, Burton, Robiskie and Stanley anyone?
    College Career Stats: 51 G. 127 Rec. 1,866 Rec Yds. 24 TDs.
    NFL Comparison: James Jones, Greenbay Packers - A healthy combination of size and speed makes him a beast in the slot.
    Previous Pick: Ron Brace, Boston College NT/DT 6'3" 332pds. 5.24 Forty
    Alternative Pick: Robert Ayers, Tennessee DE - All-SEC First Team. Outstanding size and still able to make a regular appearance in the backfield.
    Draft Status: Senior. Entering NFL Draft.Invited to Combine.

Round 04 Pick 99
    Daniel Holtzclaw, Eastern Michigan.
    MLB 6'1" 246pds 4.65 Forty.
    Synopsis: Selected All-MAC Second Team for the 2008 college football season. It seemed like Claw was always in the middle of the action. A gifted tackler who has been the starter in the middle of EMU defense his freshman senior. 47 games in all. Has the size you want in an NFL middle linebacker. Very underrated, probably because of the school and conference he played in. Has a the ability to close in on ball carriers and dominate in the the inside run game. Very strong and he can shed blockers very well. Smart and Instinctive. 8 career picks, that tells me he can hold his own in coverage. He has the tools to be a solid contributor in the future.
    Logic Behind Pick: We so need a middle linebacker that can shed blocks and and play the inside run well. With time, Claw can be that guy.
    College Career Stats: 47 G. 456 Tkls. 2.5 Sacks. 6 PBU. 8 Picks.
    NFL Comparison: Ryan Fowler, Tennessee Titans - Big, Physical and a leader.
    Previous Pick: Chip Vaughn, SS, Wake Forest SS 6'2" 218 4.49 Forty Yard Dash
    Alternative Pick: A.Q. Shipley, Penn State C - A respected leader who makes everyone around him play better.
    Draft Status: Senior. Entering NFL Draft. Not invited to combine. (Hopefully he shines on his pro day).

Round 05 Pick 130
    Chip Vaughn, Wake Forest
    6'1" 218pds 4.50 Forty.
    Synopsis: Has great size and bulk. He has a motor that does not stop. Very aggressive in the box. Holds his own in coverage but excels more when playing close to the line of scrimmage. Very good tackler with good range to get where the ball is. Known by his teammates as the big hitter in the secondary. Chip Vaughn was very impressive during senior bowl week. Showed the great hands and tackling ability he's known for.
    Logic Behind Pick: Atogwe needs to stay at center field where he can play they ball and QB. We need a safety that can play in and out of the box. Vaughn has proved over and over again he can be a force in the box.
    College Career Stats: 50 G. 258 Tkls. 22 PBU. 3 Picks.
    NFL Comparison: Yeremiah Bell, Dolphins - A player that roams the Dolphin secondary laying big hits on any ball carrier. His leadership and play making ability is signature of the Dolphins Defense.
    Previous Pick: A.Q. Shipley, Penn State C 6'1" 300pds. 5.09 Forty yard Dash
    Alternative Pick: Kevin Ellison, USC SS - All-Pac 10 team. Very productive in the box.
    Draft Status: Red Shirt Senior. Entering NFL Draft.

Round 06 Pick 16
    Brett Helms, LSU.
    6'2" 283pds 4.93 Forty.
    Synopsis: Primarily a center, but has the versatility to play the other two interior line positions. Known for his consistency and productivity. Regarded by many as one of the top centers in the country. Very tough and physical while playing in 33 games. Helms also is a natural leader. He may be a little small for an NFL Center, but he has mentioned in press conferences that he plans on bulking up for the combine and LSU pro days. Because of his natural talents at center and versatility makes him a great pick late in the second day.
    Logic Behind Pick: We still don't have a permanent center yet. Helms has the tools and versatility to be that guy down the line. Or at least be a prominent back up.
    College Career Stats: 33 Games. 28 Starts.
    NFL Comparison: Andrew Walter, Oakland raiders - Solid back up who holds his own when called upon. Still learning his craft.
    Previous Pick: Mike Teel, Rutgers QB 6'4" 220pds. 4.85 Forty
    Alternative Pick: Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State QB - Decent size and very strong arm. Tools you want in a developmental QB.
    Draft Status: Red Shirt Senior. Entering NFL Draft. Not invited to Combine.

Round 07 Pick 194
    Tom Brandstater, Fresno State.
    6'5" 225 4.79 Forty
    Synopsis: Tom Brandstater has prototypical size, strong arm and throws a tight spiral. Shows great range as a player and leader. Very smart, a candidate for Academic All-America honors. Brandstater is eighth in the WAC and 92nd nationally in passing efficiency. East West shrine games stats: 10 of 19 for 159 passing yards and 1 Touchdown. I watched him in the game closely, he has a nice zip on the ball. On third down, he threw a laser to Bear Pascoe for 38 yards. He's a project quarterback, with the proper grooming he'll be ready to contribute soon.
    Logic Behind Pick: Are current QB lineup is not very promising. We need to start grooming some young QBs.
    College Career Stats: 45 G. 584 Comp. 989 Att. 6,857 Passing Yards. 59 Comp%. 47 TDs. 32 Picks
    NFL Comparison: Andrew Walter, Oakland Raiders - An ok back up that is still learning.
    Previous Pick: Kyle Moore, USC 6'6" 275pds. 4.79 Forty
    Alternative Pick: Patrick Turner, USC WR - Outstanding size and hands. He needs to work on his forty.
    Draft Status: Red Shirt Senior. Entering NFL Draft. Invited to Combine.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams 2009 Mock Draft 3.0 Pre Combine

I like the first two picks. Can't go wrong with improving the interior line.

The third round pick is intriguing. Its nearly impossible to predict where WRs will slot at this point. So much depends on their 40 times at the Combine and during private workouts. A guy like Robiskie can move up or down as many as 2-3 rounds depending on how fast he runs.

I like Holtzclaw, but I think you may have him too high. Of course, if he runs a 4.7 or better, maybe you don't.

I also like Brandstater, but I doubt he lasts to the seventh round. He's the type who will likely improve his standing in workouts, given his size and strong arm.

Overall, pretty nice job!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

No way Chip Vaugh falls that far, and you can argue we need SS help much earlier than that. We definately need more help at center earlier also

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I like the first two picks. Can't go wrong with improving the interior line.

The third round pick is intriguing. Its nearly impossible to predict where WRs will slot at this point. So much depends on their 40 times at the Combine and during private workouts. A guy like Robiskie can move up or down as many as 2-3 rounds depending on how fast he runs.

I like Holtzclaw, but I think you may have him too high. Of course, if he runs a 4.7 or better, maybe you don't.

I also like Brandstater, but I doubt he lasts to the seventh round. He's the type who will likely improve his standing in workouts, given his size and strong arm.

Overall, pretty nice job!

You're right about Robiskie. I think his stock really depends on his 40 time. He needs to open some eyes of NFL scouts, he's not just a big receiver with great hands.

McKillop or Worrell Williams were my other choices for this pick instead of Claw. I'm ok with either of the three, but i just couldn't ignore Claws toughness and production.

I agree on Brandstater. He may have the strongest arm at the combine. We'll have to see.

Very good points. Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    No way Chip Vaugh falls that far, and you can argue we need SS help much earlier than that. We definately need more help at center earlier also
    I hear you about Chip. If he walks what he talks about his speed. he can definitely move early in the second day. But for now he's a mid rounder.

There only so many picks we can make early in the draft. I'd like to get a center and a safety early too. But I also want a big nose tackle, a left tackle, a middle linebacker early in the draft too.