Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By codeman123

Thread: Rams-centric Look at Receivers (Rounds 1 3)

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Rams-centric Look at Receivers (Rounds 1 3)

There are two types of receivers the Rams are looking for this offseason. One of those receivers is an ‘x’ receiver or split end. The other is a ‘z’ receiver or a flanker. The Rams are pretty much stacked at ‘y’ or slot receiver with Amendola, Salas, and Smith all being able to play that position. Most receivers can move around and play different positions.

Split End – This receiver has to line up on the line of scrimmage, and is often alone on his side of the field. For a split end is imperative that they can beat press coverage because they are so close to the LOS. It can be done either with size and strength (Owens, Fitzgerald, Moss, Boldin, Nicks) or elusiveness and really fast/strong hands (Holt, Maclin, Wayne).

Flanker – This receiver usually lines up 1-3 yards behind the LOS, and on the same side of the field as the TE. This means they have an easier time beating press coverage because they have much more room to work with (compared to lining up directly on the LOS). Flankers are usually faster and more explosive players. It is harder to double cover a flanker because the TE is on the same side of the field, and they are very hard to ‘jam’. This gives the flanker a much easier time making plays (Mike Wallace, Desean Jackson, Marvin Harrison, Torrey Smith)

Knowing that, it’s easier to rank players based on the Rams needs at receiver, and who they already have on the roster. That would be Danario Alexander, Brandon Gibson, Austin Pettis, Greg Salas, Danny Amendola, and Steve Smith.
    The Rams don’t have anyone who can operate at split end; last year it was Brandon Lloyd. Steve Smith is a capable flanker, and so is Salas, but they have no explosive playmakers on the roster. Pettis is a backup caliber receiver, and Alexander is a playmaker that can line up in both positions, but can’t be counted on. Gibson disappeared last year when starting, and I don’t see how he and Smith are both on the roster at the same time. If Smith is healthy, Gibson is gone.

On to the Draft
    Split Ends
    1 – Justin Blackmon (Oklahoma St)
    2 – Michael Floyd (Notre Dame) **
    3 – Rueben Randle (LSU) ***
    4 – Stephen Hill (Georgia Tech)
    5 – Marvin Jones (California)
    6 – Brian Quick (Appalachian St)
    7 – Marvin McNutt (Iowa)

Flanker
    1 - Kendall Wright (Baylor)
    2 – AJ Jenkins (Illinois)
    3 – Chris Givens (Wake Forest)
    4 – TY Hilton (FIU)

Off The Radar Until Round 4
    Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, Juron Criner, Ryan Broyles, Nick Toon, Tommy Streeter

** For Michael Floyd – When I watch him, he doesn’t use his size or strength like a true split end. Vincent Jackson played flanker in San Diego, and Floyd would probably be better being used in that way. On the Rams he would have to play ‘x’ just because he would be the only player capable of doing so.
    *** For Rueben Randle - His size/speed ratio and his body type remind me of Dwayne Bowe. Bowe plays flanker for KC, but played split end earlier in his career. Both Floyd and Randle would almost have to play 'x' for the Rams, but might play 'z' on another team, or the Rams in future years.

There aren’t very many 'pure flankers’ in the draft. These are the playmakers that an offense like the Rams needs, desperately.
    On the other hand, there are a ton of ‘split end’ prospects. Not all of them are destined to play that position, but on the Rams they would at least need to be able to play it on occasion.
    There are some good receivers in the “Off the Radar’ section, but they are either too similar to the receivers on the roster already to justify a pick that high (Sanu), or belong there because of game tape (Streeter)

Now Ranking Them (Rams Specific)
    Top 20
    Justin Blackmon
    Michael Floyd

20-40
    Rueben Randle
    Kendall Wright
    Stephen Hill

40 – 60
    AJ Jenkins
    Chris Givens
    Marvin Jones
    Brian Quick

60 - 90
    TY Hilton
    Marvin McNutt

IF the Rams draft a ‘split end’ prospect, it would be wise to look at ‘flankers’ to pair with him. For example, after drafting Blackmon the best choice in round two would be Kendall Wright rather than Hill or Randle (assuming all 3 are available, which won’t happen in real life).

The best scenario for the Rams WR corps would be to draft one of the top 3 split end (Blackmon, Floyd, Randle) and one of the top 4 flankers. It jives with the Rams pre-draft visits that include split ends Blackmon, Floyd, Randle and flankers Wright, Givens.
    Last edited by codeman123; -04-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Nick likes this.

Re: Rams-centric Look at Receivers (Rounds 1 3)

Forgot to add this -

These positions (x,y,z) are more important in certain offensive schemes or plays. It is really important in 2 WR sets, and much less important in 4 WR sets. The WRs the Rams drafted for McDaniels go with this point. Salas and Pettis don't really fit into a x or z mold, but can move around and play all over the field.

In New York Schotty ran a lot of 2 and 3 WR sets. His system relies much more on classic x and z receivers. The best example is to look at how they ran an offense with Braylon Edwards playing split end and Santonio Holmes playing flanker. That is when they were most successful.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

First Question. What do you consider these WR's? DeVier Posey, Chris Owusu and Tommy Streeter? I would think Tommy Streeter is a Flanker. He has 6'5" hieght but weighs 215 LBS and has great speed. DO you consider the deep routes mostly for flankers. The guys with great speed.

So if Rams draft WR Blackmom in round one it would be better to draft a Flanker type WR later in the draft insted of drafting another split end type.

The above mentioned WR's I like in the later rounds of the draft. I would rather Rams try to fill other needs in rounds 2 - 4.
    I just hope the Rams hit on some Quality undrafted free agents after the draft.

The good GM's find starters after the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan the Ram Man View Post
    First Question. What do you consider these WR's? DeVier Posey, Chris Owusu and Tommy Streeter? I would think Tommy Streeter is a Flanker. He has 6'5" hieght but weighs 215 LBS and has great speed.
    I didn't want to put in guys after the 3rd round because its just to many players. I would hope teams have a specific plan for a player they are drafting, but it will be less specific the later you go in the draft. Teams would just be trying to find someone that they think can make the roster, at whichever spot.

Streeter is a good 4th rounder, but he's not on the same level as the players I ranked. Just below. The other guys are 5th - 7th rounders. The other thing is, I put 11 WRs that the Rams could draft in the first 3 rounds, and 6 players to stay away from. Sanu, Jeffery, Criner, and all those guys might be drafted in rounds 2 and 3. Its hard to imagine 15 WRs being drafted in the first 3 rounds. Streeter is just downgraded because of how he fits against the other prospects, at least in my eyes.

DO you consider the deep routes mostly for flankers. The guys with great speed
    The thing about 'x' and 'z' receivers, is that it only matters right at the snap. After the snap, all receivers run the same route tree, and have to get open, catch the ball and try to get yards after the catch. The only variable to playing split end is the release of the line of scrimmage. Its a big variable though in a game.

For a play, 7 offensive players have to be on the LOS to start. This means some receiver has to be touching the LOS. As soon as the ball is snapped, he can be hit and jammed by the CB. Its a big disadvantage to start with, so that WR has to be strong enough or good enough to stay on their route and keep the timing with their QB. Some players just can't play split end. It would be a huge disadvantage to Desean Jackson to play split end. Its a huge advantage for him to play flanker because the defense basically has to give him a head start, and he has space to use as the start of the snap to get a good release. If a WR wins his release, he will have a huge advantage the rest of his route. If he doesn't, the defense is at a huge advantage.

There are lots of different split ends. Nicks, Boldin, Brandon Marshall use their size and body positioning to get a good release. Brandon Lloyd uses his great route running. Torry Holt had amazing elusiveness and great fast hands to get a release. Calvin Johnson uses his megatron-ness.

For 'x' WRs, teams can do a couple things -
    - Teams can put the WR with the best ability to beat press coverage at the line to play split end (Marshall, Lloyd, Calvin Johnson, ect.)
    - Teams can put their most explosive playmaker at flanker, even if he could easily play split end, to give him more space to use (A.J. Green, Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson)

So if Rams draft WR Blackmom in round one it would be better to draft a Flanker type WR later in the draft insted of drafting another split end type.
    Blackmon is a clear cut 'x' prospect to me, so yes. Some receivers have an advantage playing split end because they can win that battle at the LOS and take that into their route. Fitzgerald and Johnson are impossible to jam so they create a mismatch for the offense.
    There are 3 receivers in the draft who could play both positions, and they are Floyd, Randle, and Hill. If Blackmon is not picked, they would probably have to play split end because Steve Smith and Amendola aren't. Its better to have an explosive playmaker at flanker because they have space to work with before the snap. Let them take advantage of it. If the Rams think Randle can play flanker and have success producing there, then he would make a good choice after choosing Blackmon. If not, guys like Givens and Jenkins would be very good to pair with Blackmon and play flanker. Its all how the team wants to use their receivers.

MACD is offline Registered User

NORMAN – Ryan Broyles settled under a 40-yard deep fade and caught it in the end zone Thursday morning, finishing just the sixth route of his personal Oklahoma pro day.
    That was it. Scouts from 12 NFL teams had seen enough.
    "Hey, good job man," Kansas City Chiefs scout Willie Davis said.

"Appreciate it," Broyles smiled.

"Feel good?" Davis asked him.

Not five months after undergoing reconstructive knee surgery, Broyles feels great.

That, more than anything, was what he wanted to show those scouts two weeks ahead of the NFL draft.

"I showed I'm running with no limp. My body is healing up," Broyles said inside OU's Everest Training Center. "They say it takes up to eight or nine months to recover. I feel like I'm ahead of schedule to be able to cut and run routes at four-and-a-half months. Hopefully that showed them something."

To that end, Broyles ran two 40-yard sprints before running those six routes with former OU quarterback Joey Halzle. He clocked a 4.59 on his first, then lowered his time to 4.57 on his second.

"I've been in the 4.4s before," Broyles said. "But that's not unexpected right now. My left leg is not where I want it to be. I've still got to get in the weight room a little more.

"The scouts said the same thing. They don't expect me to be full speed. But it's me being competitive."

Broyles, among the most competitive players of OU's Bob Stoops era, has been true to form since undergoing surgery for the ACL he tore against Texas A&M last Nov. 5.

He says he started running three weeks ahead of schedule. That, in turn, pushed up his recovery timeline, allowing him to work out before the draft.

Broyles headquartered in southern California for two months before the late-February NFL scouting combine. He rehabilitated his left knee, and got his upper body and mind right for the bench press and Wonderlic test he performed at the combine.

"I think I did well in the interviews," he said. "They know I'm a character guy. I won't be bringing any baggage along."

They also know what he can with a football whizzing his way, which explains why the receiving portion of Thursday's workout was, ironically, least important.

It all about the running. And the cutting. And the jumping. Broyles' vertical Thursday measured 32 inches.

That number at the combine would have put Broyles in the lower tier of receivers. Same with his 4.58 40 average.

Few of the the wideouts in Indianapolis, however, worked out with a wrap around their left knee. None were 4 months removed from knee surgery.

So Thursday was also about effort, about something less easily measurable. "I just wanted to come out here and show I'm competing. I'm working. I'm not slacking," Broyles said. "Just showing the teams I'm going to be ready for camp when the time comes."

As for the draft, Broyles is most likely a second-day pick, the day for rounds two and three.

"I've heard a lot of different things," he said. "I'm not sure. I think today is going to solidify a lot of things. I showed I'm on pace."

If Broyles' last play as a Sooner was a setback, his last pre-professional appearance on campus was, in that sense, a success.

"Some guys buckle when they get hurt. They sit back. I'm not one of those guys," he said. "I take it as a challenge. I'm going to come back stronger, faster and healthier than I've ever been."

These are all the receivers the Rams have looked at in pre draft visits/workouts.

Top 20
    Justin Blackmon
    Michael Floyd

20-40
    Rueben Randle
    Kendall Wright

Stephen Hill

40 – 60
    AJ Jenkins
    Chris Givens

Marvin Jones
    Brian Quick

60 - 90
    TY Hilton
    Marvin McNutt

That is 8 out of the 11 WRs I listed the Rams would be interested in taking.
    No receivers outside of the listed receivers have been looked at by the Rams.

The Rams haven't shown any interest in Stephen Hill. He probably doesn't fit into the offense the way another prospect might, or they just don't want to take on a project so early in the draft. Marvin Jones and TY Hilton might be on the Rams radar, but they are probably lower ranked than the other WRs they looked at.

Its clear the new Rams FO are dead serious on adding talent outside. Everyone should expect at least 1 WR to be taken in the first three rounds, with 2 very likely. Everyone should also expect the Rams to pass on receiving prospects on Saturday. The Rams have tons of decent and mediocre depth. They need talented starters and x and z, and if the pre-draft visits show anything its that the Rams know it.