throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sturgess77 Guest

Re: The Rams Are On The Clock !!!!!!

Sorry about the double post on this, never saw the thread.

This move pleases me as we will get an impact player on the dl no matter what now. Don't get me wrong I think that Jake is a great player I just did not want us to pass up on the opportunity we have with the 3 extremely strong dl players on the board.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And if that's the case, the Rams will want to wait and hear offers and see if they can get a deal they're excited about. Often times that involves some negotiations beyond the initial offer, which will take time. Maybe they're not going all the way until the final minute of their clock on Saturday, but if they're listening to offers, they're going to take some time to see if those offers improve.

Now, if they're not inclined to trade down, then they could make the pick early. They'll need to come to a consensus in the war room on who is the guy and go from there. But as I said, I think the only way they think about making the pick early is if they've had that discussion and have come to a conclusion. If they're still unsure, there's no reason not to take some time, think it over, and maybe listen to some offers in the process.

Let's keep in mind that the price has now been set. The top pick is signed, so it'll be a lot easier to slot a contract for the second overall pick knowing what the guy ahead of him signed for. I think the chances of a contract holdout went down quite a bit with this signing.
    If Rams warroom does not know who their #1 choice is now - they are in trouble - Draft starts in 4 days!!!!!!

I do agree that Rams probably are not quite as worried as Dolphins were about getting the pick signed before draft day - your right in that the pick should be "slotted" - my guess would be 5yrs, $50million with $26 million guaranteed (Jakes contract: 5 yrs, $57.5 million with $30 million guaranteed).

I'm not saying Rams should just go ahead and try and sign somebody today/tomorrow. I'm just saying they have 4 days to make a trade and/or sign their pick. I would try and have one of those things accomplished before 3pm EST on Saturday........that is just common sense.

At the end of the day, I don't see a big trade coming at #2 - maybe the Saints will suprise us all - but I doubt it and I doubt the Ravens will either - those are the only two possibilities in my mind.....we shall see....

Mooselini Guest

I honestly think it will come down to Chris Long. He doesn't mind how much money he makes compared to guys like Gholston or Dorsey.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

John Clayton says the Saints are offering a lot for the Rams to move back to #10. Consider if the Saints offered their #1 next season and their #2 this year. Would you move back 8 spots? I certainly would.

Gholston COULD still be there at #10 as could the kid Harvey who is highly rated by many. The difference between Chris Long and Harvey and the significant dollar figure between the #2 and #10 spots plus the addition of even a second rounder this year, well I'd make the deal.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    John Clayton says the Saints are offering a lot for the Rams to move back to #10. Consider if the Saints offered their #1 next season and their #2 this year. Would you move back 8 spots? I certainly would.
    As bad as I want to see one of the "Big 3" in St. Louis, I admit I'd probably take this deal. Putting faces to it.....

Chris Long

---OR---

Derrick Harvey, Jordy Nelson, 2009 extra 1st

We're taking a risk that Harvey will be there, but that 2nd option does look good.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Breaking News: J. Long Signs W/ Dolphins

The Miami Dolphins have signed Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long to a multiyear contract and will select him with the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday's draft.

The contract is for five years, $57.75 million, with $30 million guaranteed.

The Dolphins were interested in trading the top pick, but no suitors surfaced -- so they decided to sign Long and avoid a possible holdout. Last year's top pick, JaMarcus Russell, missed all of training camp before signing a $61 million contract with the Oakland Raiders.

Despite speculation that Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells really had planned to select Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston or Virginia defensive end Chris Long, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith that since the Dolphins opened negotiations with Jake Long they were talking to him exclusively.

Long, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound senior who moved to left tackle in 2006 and started his final 26 games, was an All-America selection and Big Ten lineman of the year in each of his last two seasons.

Hashmarks

The intrigue for the No. 1 selection is gone now but there is plenty of it left for the high picks that follow, Mike Sando writes. Hashmarks
    • Sando: Long to start at left tackle

The new Miami regime led by Parcells began negotiations last week with Long's agent, Tom Condon. Offensive line is considered the biggest need for the Dolphins, who went 1-15 last year, and new Miami coach Tony Sparano coached the offensive line with the Dallas Cowboys.

Miami made Long the first offensive lineman taken No. 1 in more than a decade and the fifth in league history. The St. Louis Rams took Ohio State tackle Orlando Pace first overall in 1997.

"We had him at the top of our board for a long time," general manager Jeff Ireland said at a news conference in Davie, Fla.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Baldybouncer is offline Registered User

Dolphins Sign J.Long

From NFL.com

After weeks of speculation, the Miami Dolphins made their intentions with the top pick in the NFL Draft known.
    Jake Long
    Offensive tackle

Height: 6-7
    Weight: 315
    College: Michigan
    Hometown: Lapeer, MI

» Photos: Mayock's top 20 prospects
    » Photos: Top OT prospects
    » More: 2008 NFL Draft coverage

The Dolphins signed former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long on Tuesday, making him the top overall pick in Saturday's NFL Draft. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the contract is valued at $57.5 million over five years, including $30 million in guaranteed money.
    Miami general manager Jeff Ireland made the announcement from a team press conference, along with Long and head coach Tony Sparano.
    "I'm very excited and honored to be able to be a part of the Miami Dolphins organization," said Long. "I want to thank my agents and the Miami Dolphins for getting this done. Now I can just concentrate on football."
    The Dolphins have been in negotiations with the representatives for Long, discussing contract parameters while attempting to keep their intentions with the top pick hidden.
    "Jake was our guy from the beginning," said Ireland. "I don't make it a habit of telling you what's on our board, but he was on top of the board from the beginning. … There wasn't a whole lot of debate. We all felt comfortable with the player."
    The draft will be the first in Miami for the regime led by executive VP of football operations Bill Parcells, Ireland and Sparano after the Dolphins went 1-15 last year. Miami has nine picks, including four of the first 64.
    The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Long was a two-time All-American and a three-time Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. He started 40 games during his college career, and finished second in the voting for both the Lombardi Award and the Outland Trophy last season.
    By agreeing to the deal prior to Saturday's draft, the Dolphins were able to avoid a prolonged holdout and ensure Long will be at training camp on time, a problem that has plagued past top overall picks. Last year's top pick, JaMarcus Russell, missed all of training camp before signing a $61 million contract with the Oakland Raiders.
    Long will become just the second offensive lineman to be taken with the top pick in the NFL Draft since 1970, joining Ohio State's Orlando Pace, who was selected by the Rams in the top spot in 1997.

jkramsfan Guest

Gholston COULD still be there at #10 as could the kid Harvey who is highly rated by many. The difference between Chris Long and Harvey and the significant dollar figure between the #2 and #10 spots plus the addition of even a second rounder this year, well I'd make the deal.
    since it's going to take a couple of drafts to get this team back to where it belongs I would also make this deal,but that sounds like alot for the Saints to give.

Falconator Guest

RebelYell,

If the Saints offered up #10, #40 and next year's 1st rounder - I would have to consider that if I'm the Rams......the Saints should bounce back and be pretty good next year so I would anticipate next year's 1st rounder would be aroun pick #20 (of course future year's picks are discounted by about 50%).

Draft Chart:
    2008 Rams #2 = 2,600pts

2008 Saints #10 = 1,300pts
    2008 Saints #40 = 500pts
    2009 Saints #20 = 850 divided by 2 = 425

that would be 2,600 pts versus 2,225pts considering discounting the future 1st round pick. If you don't discount then its 2,600 versus 2,650 - dead even......

If Rams are not "in love" with Dorsey or Chris Long and they really, really like Derrick Harvey - yeah, I would do that deal in a new york minute. good luck.

Falconator Guest

Rebel Yell,

do you have a "link" to what John Clayton said about this potential trade? I could not find it on website - please advise - thanks!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    If Rams warroom does not know who their #1 choice is now - they are in trouble - Draft starts in 4 days!!!!!!
    Why are they in trouble? What's going to happen to them if they don't have a consensus #1 choice on April 22nd? It's not as if they get penalized or are at risk of being passed. So what's the trouble?

I would be surprised if the other 31 teams in the league have stopped discussing and debating their options and slotting at this point. The Rams, as of a couple of hours ago, had three clear ways they could go with their pick, four if you include Gholston. Some coaches/executives probably like one guy while others like someone else.

Those are discussions that, IMO, probably continue all the way until the pick is made in many instances.

I'm not saying Rams should just go ahead and try and sign somebody today/tomorrow.
    You're right - you're saying they should try to sign someone the day after tomorrow.

I'm just saying they have 4 days to make a trade and/or sign their pick. I would try and have one of those things accomplished before 3pm EST on Saturday........that is just common sense.
    And again, as you said, they have four days to explore all of their options. Why limit themselves? Why create a new deadline of two days when you already have one in place of four? Just so you can start negotiating early? Are those extra two days going to make or break contract negotiations with their pick? I doubt it.

I don't see the harm in waiting it out at this point. It gives you time as an organization to come to a final consensus on who you want, and it also gives you enough time to try and force teams wanting to trade up to increase their offer as the deadline nears. And even if they don't begin official negotiations, it likely gives them time to start drafting their initial proposal for their guy since the bar has been set.

Again, go back to my first post. I said the Rams will probably wait to see if they get a great offer as the clock winds down. If it doesn't look like they'll be getting that offer, then maybe they make the pick early. But if the Saints are waiting until Friday night to put their final offer on the table, and the Rams come out Thursday and say, "Alright we're moving on," then that doesn't help them.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd like to know where Moose got his info on the money situation.....that's an interesting comment.

Per Clayton's blog on espn.com

Rams in a jam: The Rams are in an interesting spot. They know the Saints want to trade up to get defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey at the No. 2 spot, but that would force the Rams to drop back to the 10th pick. Even if a first-round pick from 2009 was thrown in, going all the way to No. 10 might be too far of a drop. That's why if the Rams are going to make a trade, they would have to look to deal with someone in the top five. Most scouts consider this a six- or seven-player draft at the top. Most teams also have the same six or seven players at the top, which is why dropping to No. 10 may save money. But it also could result in drafting a player who may not have the same impact. Regardless of the debate, the Rams haven't decided which direction they are going.

The draft choice of a second this year and a first next year were just my own additions. He had another snip saying the Saints were contacting the Rams but hadn't heard anything from the Rams. Could the Rams have been waiting on Jake Long to sign with the Dolphins? Effectively him signing with the phins means the Rams have the #1 pick for anyone who has a guy they absolutely must have. It opens it up negotiations for anyone not wanting Jake Long.

edit: I also hate when people say "This is a 5 player draft". You know it isn't true. Great players will be taken all through the first round, it's just a matter of finding and developing them. Every year they say the draft is only a few players long and every year it proves to be a joke.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why are they in trouble? What's going to happen to them if they don't have a consensus #1 choice on April 22nd? It's not as if they get penalized or are at risk of being passed. So what's the trouble?

I would be surprised if the other 31 teams in the league have stopped discussing and debating their options and slotting at this point. The Rams, as of a couple of hours ago, had three clear ways they could go with their pick, four if you include Gholston. Some coaches/executives probably like one guy while others like someone else.

Those are discussions that, IMO, probably continue all the way until the pick is made in many instances.

You're right - you're saying they should try to sign someone the day after tomorrow.

And again, as you said, they have four days to explore all of their options. Why limit themselves? Why create a new deadline of two days when you already have one in place of four? Just so you can start negotiating early? Are those extra two days going to make or break contract negotiations with their pick? I doubt it.

I don't see the harm in waiting it out at this point. It gives you time as an organization to come to a final consensus on who you want, and it also gives you enough time to try and force teams wanting to trade up to increase their offer as the deadline nears. And even if they don't begin official negotiations, it likely gives them time to start drafting their initial proposal for their guy since the bar has been set.

Again, go back to my first post. I said the Rams will probably wait to see if they get a great offer as the clock winds down. If it doesn't look like they'll be getting that offer, then maybe they make the pick early. But if the Saints are waiting until Friday night to put their final offer on the table, and the Rams come out Thursday and say, "Alright we're moving on," then that doesn't help them.
    ok nick.......the Rams should wait it out until one second is left on the clock.......I'm sure with one minute left on the clock that the Saints will come through offering all their picks this year and the first round pick next year.......Ravens will bid them up with one second on the clock and give up all picks from now until 2010 for Matt Ryan.....

honestly, I "get" what you are saying......and obviously there are lots of "different" ways the Rams could play this......maybe they should just do all things simultaneously. If they want Glen Dorsey(as an example) - go ahead and come to terms with him by Friday nite - and then just wait until the last minute to sign him or trade the pick.. That's the "best of both worlds"......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast