Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams Are On The Clock !!!!!!

My last mock is right on as` well Nick. C. Long to the Rams!!!

If Rams warroom does not know who their #1 choice is now
    The Rams FO is loving life, we now are on gthe clock, if you want to deal come deal. if not we will take C. Long biggest need and best football player, with no issues, no drug use, no non sense.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-22-2008 at 05:05 PM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

In terms of what you're suggesting, I'd say it depends on two thing: 1) how bad both the Falcons and Saints want Dorsey and 2) how differen the Rams see Dorsey, C. Long, and Gholston from Ellis, Harvey, and Clady. If the Rams see a huge drop off, then they'd only really trade with ATL and they'd have to sell short. In that case, getting it done makes a lot of sense. If they don't *and* both NO and ATL really want Dorsey, it makes more sense to let them bid against each other as long as possible and drive up the price.

As far as my preferences go, I'd like to swap picks with ATL and pick up another 2nd rounder. That way we can get a need like OT/WR at good value, but also maybe pick up a safety like Phillips if he drops or a LB like Connor...we can try to steal someone who drops. And we wouldn't have to give up a top pick to do that.

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    In terms of what you're suggesting, I'd say it depends on two thing: 1) how bad both the Falcons and Saints want Dorsey and 2) how differen the Rams see Dorsey, C. Long, and Gholston from Ellis, Harvey, and Clady. If the Rams see a huge drop off, then they'd only really trade with ATL and they'd have to sell short. In that case, getting it done makes a lot of sense. If they don't *and* both NO and ATL really want Dorsey, it makes more sense to let them bid against each other as long as possible and drive up the price.

As far as my preferences go, I'd like to swap picks with ATL and pick up another 2nd rounder. That way we can get a need like OT/WR at good value, but also maybe pick up a safety like Phillips if he drops or a LB like Connor...we can try to steal someone who drops. And we wouldn't have to give up a top pick to do that.
    chiguy(and others),

don't get too excited about "dealing" with the Falcons. I know the Falcons love Dorsey but I think they are prepared to "move on" if Rams take him or trade him to the Saints. While its true that Falcons have three (count'em three!) 2nd round picks - I truly believe that Falcons GM/Thomas Dimitroff plans the following with them:

1. If they take Matt Ryan, use two 2nd rounders to move up and take a left tackle (Albert/Clady/Otah/Chris Williams).

2. Trade down from #3 - take one of the offensive tackles listed above - and then trade up to take Brian Brohm

3. just take Glen Dorsey if Rams pass on them

The Falcons need to fill many positions. If Falcons trade at all off the #3 pick - the smart money says they will trade down - not up.......

anyway, i follow the Falcons closely and that is my best GUESS......

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User
    The Dolphins signed former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long on Tuesday, making him the top overall pick in Saturday's NFL Draft. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the contract is valued at $57.5 million over five years, including $30 million in guaranteed money.

Miami general manager Jeff Ireland made the announcement from a team press conference, along with Long and head coach Tony Sparano.

"I'm very excited and honored to be able to be a part of the Miami Dolphins and this organization," Long said. "I want to thank my agents and the Miami Dolphins for getting this deal done so now I can just concentrate on football."

The Dolphins have been in negotiations with the representatives for Long, discussing contract parameters while attempting to keep their intentions with the top pick hidden.

Think they regret Quinn yet?

"Jake was our guy from the beginning," said Ireland. "I don't make it a habit of telling you what's on our board, but he was on top of the board from the beginning. … There wasn't a whole lot of debate. We all felt comfortable with the player."

The draft will be the first in Miami for the regime led by executive VP of football operations Bill Parcells, Ireland and Sparano after the Dolphins went 1-15 last year. Miami has nine picks, including four of the first 64.

The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Long was a two-time All-American and a three-time Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. He started 40 games during his college career, and finished second in the voting for both the Lombardi Award and the Outland Trophy last season.

By agreeing to the deal prior to Saturday's draft, the Dolphins were able to avoid a prolonged holdout and ensure Long will be at training camp on time, a problem that has plagued past top overall picks. Last year's No. 1 pick, JaMarcus Russell, missed all of training camp before signing a $61 million contract with the Oakland Raiders.

"It's really important for us to know that Jake is going to be on the field for us, on time, when training camp begins in July," said Sparano. "That was critical for us."

Long will become just the second offensive lineman to be taken with the top pick in the NFL Draft since 1970, joining Ohio State's Orlando Pace, who was selected by the Rams in the top spot in 1997.
    Jeff Ireland knows what he's doing, with a last name like that who wouldn't?

Hellooo defensive end!

He was signed for less money than Jamarcus was, that should play out great for signing draft picks.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Jake Long Signed!!!

Uh, this is apparently old knews to everyone not named RedArcher7...so if someone wants to go ahead and get rid of this so I don't look like a giant ass that'd be alright.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Jake Long Signed!!!

Don't worry, it makes me smile everytime. Because Chris Long looks even more like the option now.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I don't want to see a trade down, i'd like to see either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston in rams colours this season.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    my guess would be this:
    • Rams will sit on this and digest information overnite
    • by Wednesday morning, they will start taking calls for trades
    • If they don't like trade offers, they will pick their #1 target(Chris Long or Glen Dorsey) and start negotiating Thursday morning
    • Goal: have draft pick signed by Friday nite
    My guess is we should all know who the Rams #1 target is by Thursday afternoon. these are my GUESSES!!!
    I don't think the Rams can start negotaiting with anybody:x

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thank God, this makes the first pick in my final mock pretty accurate!
    One down, 30 to go.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on Tuesday that the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second pick in the NFL draft, were told today by the NFL management council that they do not have permission to begin negotiations with any player now that the Dolphins have signed Long. A league spokesman said there have been internal discussions to determine whether the Rams have the right to negotiate with a player or players.

The novelty of Long's early signing Tuesday created some uncertainty. Normally, if the team selecting first signs a player before the draft, it happens in the 24 hours leading up to the first pick, which allows very little time for the team with the second pick. :\

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Anyone think we'll lock up our guy before Saturday, or do we wait and milk the clock on Draft day to see if anyone wants to give up the farm for our pick?
    I think that if the Rams sign their pick before Saturday, the NFL will be very frustrated, and make changes in the signing rules for next years draft. The draft has become a big moneymaker for the NFL. The publicity and excitement it generates amongst fans will be jealously guarded.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I think that if the Rams sign their pick before Saturday, the NFL will be very frustrated, and make changes in the signing rules for next years draft. The draft has become a big moneymaker for the NFL. The publicity and excitement it generates amongst fans will be jealously guarded.
    Agreed, but I don't think it will make much of a difference. Either way, the price is set and we should get our pick signed fairly quickly.

:l

-jake-

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    ok nick.......the Rams should wait it out until one second is left on the clock.......I'm sure with one minute left on the clock that the Saints will come through offering all their picks this year and the first round pick next year.......Ravens will bid them up with one second on the clock and give up all picks from now until 2010 for Matt Ryan.....
    ...okay? I'm not sure why you overexaggerated my point only to say you get what I'm saying. You're right though, there are a number of ways the Rams could handle this. It doesn't seem like the league will allow the Rams to negotiate yet, so that limits their ability to start working on deals. It does sound as if they've been contacted by a few teams though. You don't seem to think the Falcons would be one of them, but I think the idea of moving up just one spot to get a guy they want and prevent a division rival from snagging him in a trade would be a tempting option. Not saying they'll do it, but I think there's a case that could be made.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...okay? I'm not sure why you overexaggerated my point only to say you get what I'm saying. You're right though, there are a number of ways the Rams could handle this. It doesn't seem like the league will allow the Rams to negotiate yet, so that limits their ability to start working on deals. It does sound as if they've been contacted by a few teams though. You don't seem to think the Falcons would be one of them, but I think the idea of moving up just one spot to get a guy they want and prevent a division rival from snagging him in a trade would be a tempting option. Not saying they'll do it, but I think there's a case that could be made.
    I guess I "overexaggerated" my point due to your bashing of my initial timeline - just trying to make the point that my scenario was a theory and yours is as well. There are lots of different ways the Rams pick or trade can go down - and, pending league approval, could happen on Wed, Thurs, Fri, or Saturday....

Regardless, back to Falcons/Rams. Of course, it is believed that the Falcons covet Glen Dorsey - but, if the Rams do, too - they will just take Dorsey. The Falcons don't love Dorsey enough to give up the early picks they have worked hard to accumulate. Also, its widely believed that the Rams covet Chris Long - the only trade partner the Rams can find that "guarantees" the availability of Chris Long - is Atlanta's #3 pick. If Rams trade with New Orleans - then they have ZERO chance of getting Chris Long and probably only about a 10% chance of landing Gholston.

So, do I think the Falcons might offer the Rams say a 4th rounder to move up one spot and select Dorsey? perhaps......but I don't think they would offer anything more. that is still a sweet deal for Rams because they get an extra pick when they were planning on taking Chris Long - all along.....its a sweet deal regardless of draft value chart and is easily justifiable.....

I think the Falcons will just "roll the dice" though - I think Rams will take Chris Long if they make the pick......only team that might try and trade up will be the Saints.......they would have to offer #10, #40 and 2009 1st round pick to move up to Rams #2 pick. I don't know if they would offer that much but they might.......if Saints do that deal, then they miss out on Jeremy Shockey though because the #40 pick was supposed to be used to get Shock.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I believe the Rams best option is to milk the clock as much as they can. It makes absolutely no sense to negotiate a contract with any player before the draft under the circumstances. Even if they know they are going to take Chris Long barring a trade, they'd be doing themselves a disservice to sign him before the draft, particularly since the bar has already been set.

The Dolphins have done the Rams a huge favor by signing Jake Long so early and they should take full advantage of it.

There could very easily be a deal that none of us can see coming. So just because there may not be any obvious deals on the table, doesn't mean some team won't come out of nowhere to make a deal. Why limit yourself, simply makes no sense.

Falconator, you sound to me like you want the Rams to pass on the good fortunes they just received from the Dolphins to your team, knowing full well your arguement is only to benefit the Falcons and not the Rams.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast