Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: The Rams Are On The Clock !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    If Rams trade with New Orleans - then they have ZERO chance of getting Chris Long and probably only about a 10% chance of landing Gholston.
    Which is one of the reasons I'm not crazy about that trade unless there is significant compensation for the move. The move all but guarantees that the Rams lose their shot at Long or Gholston, but they could be in the running for other players like Harvey, Clady, Albert, or one of the cornerbacks.

So, do I think the Falcons might offer the Rams say a 4th rounder to move up one spot and select Dorsey? perhaps......but I don't think they would offer anything more. that is still a sweet deal for Rams because they get an extra pick when they were planning on taking Chris Long - all along.....its a sweet deal regardless of draft value chart and is easily justifiable.....
    According to the chart, the difference between the second and third picks is 400 points. The Falcons' final second round pick would basically satisfy that. Maybe the Rams would be willing to take less value, but it'd probably have to be the third rounder rather than a fourth. The Rams would be sacrificing over 300 points of value if they moved down for just a fourth rounder. I'm not sure I'd classify that as a sweet deal, even if they were still able to get Long or Gholston.

I think the Falcons will just "roll the dice" though
    In the end I suspect they probably will as well. Worst case scenario for Atlanta is the Rams do in fact take Dorsey (or trade with someone else who does), but the Falcons could then just take Ryan or try to trade down themselves.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I actually saw it reported on sportsceter thismorning that the Rams sought permission to begin contract negotions with the prospect they so choose...AND WERE DENIED. By this logic, we won't know, anyway, who the pick is until draft day.

It was during their opening segment with Kiper and Mcshay, who both noted the fact. They said they were denied permission, because generally, the exclusive right to negotiations belonged to the team picking first, and that in the past, if a deal was secured, the earliest it had ever been done was on the Friday before.

They did say this time should prove to be beneficial to the Rams even without the ability to sign a player, as they can utilise this time to entertain phone calls and discuss all possible scenarios. They mentioned the Saints as a trading partner, and surprisingly, the Patriots.

I think that unless either team offers the kitchen sink, it wouldn't be a good move. You may be getting a number one next season, but especially with those two teams, who are perhaps only a star player away from the playoffs (or in NE's case 19-0), that #1 pick appears more likely to be toward the bottom of round one than at the top of it. That's why you don't see teams like Atlanta or the Jets getting in with an offer like that...just yet. Too many needs and the unwillingness to give up what could be a very high selection next year.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

BBQ, i think the Rams were just wondering if they could start contract negotiations, but i dont think they actually have a prospect in mind. If they got the go ahead to start negotiations they probably would have started talking to the agents of at least both Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey, if not agents of other potential picks like Gholston.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    BBQ, i think the Rams were just wondering if they could start contract negotiations but i dont think they actually have a prospect in mind. If they got the go ahead to start negotiations they probably would have started talking to the agents of at least both Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey, if not agents of other potential picks like Gholston.
    Yeah, that's what I gather too. They don't have the go-ahead, and that may be beneficial. It allows them to bide their time. Make sure they've got it just right; and maybe bait Atlanta into trading up in the process.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Team signs player before draft... and the point of the draft is???

How is the draft not monitored more closely? It is getting out of hand. Salaries, pre-draft signings... why not just take it out altogether, its where it appears to be headed unless they start putting rules and restrictions in.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234