Rams Close Draft with LB's
Sunday, April 27, 2008

By Brett Grassmuck

Staff Writer

The 2008 NFL Draft came to a close as the St. Louis Rams selected Idaho linebacker David Vobora, making him this year’s Mr. Irrelevant, something Vobora knew nothing about.

“We actually were sitting here watching the draft, and I pulled out the computer and Googled (Mr. Irrelevant),” Vobora said. “So, I learned about it about five minutes before I got the call.”

As a result, Vobora’s going to Disneyland during a weeklong trip to southern California dubbed Irrelevant Week. Along with his trip to Disneyland , he’ll participate in a sailing regatta and receive the “Lowsman Trophy” at a roast in his honor.

“That’s exciting,” Vobora said. “You can’t argue with that.”

Vobora was a very productive linebacker during his four-year career with the Idaho Vandals, the collegiate home of Rams coach Scott Linehan. Vobora led his team in tackles in both of his last two seasons, finishing his college career with 341 stops, 209 solo. His 148 tackles as a senior ranked third in the NCAA.

The two-time team captain spent most of his career at weak side linebacker, but also started four games in the middle. For the Rams, he will start out as a strong side linebacker, but will possibly play some middle linebacker as well.

“We are going to start him at ‘sam,’ (strong side linebacker)” Linehan said. “We felt he was the one guy who was there who could play both positions.”

The Rams used their first pick in the seventh round on linebacker Chris Chamberlain out of Tulsa , who is listed as a linebacker, strong safety and fullback.

“He is a ‘will’ outside linebacker now,” Linehan said. “He has the ability to run well and in certain systems or situations, he could probably, in a pinch, (play safety).”

Chamberlain had his most productive year as a senior, starting all 14 games and racking up a Tulsa season-record 165 tackles, 101 solo. Linehan said he expects both Chamberlain and Vobora to contribute on special teams.

“Both Chamberlain and Vobora are production city type guys, lots of tackles,” Linehan said. “Perfect special teams core, we call them. Just hardcore special teams guys that will maybe make an impact when they go