Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams considering trading into the top five?

Rams report: Inside slant
    April 22, 2006
    The Sports Xchange

There has yet to be a formal announcement, but it appears running back Marshall Faulk will return for another season, even after undergoing minor surgeries recently on both his knees.

"I think he had some loose bodies that needed to be cleaned out," coach Scott Linehan said. "Nothing serious. The older you get, the more time it takes just to kind of get them back to 100%. You've got to manage them. You can't take every (practice) snap like you used to. And the offseason's different. It's like you've got to heal up first."

As for Faulk continuing to play, Linehan said, "I don't think it's changed. I know he's every positive about it. I still expect him back. I really do."

On a chat with ESPN.com, Faulk was asked about his knee and said, it was "doing pretty well. I haven't done a lot but am getting into rehab now, maybe a week or two away from the rigorous portion."

While Faulk was not cleared to participate in the pre-draft minicamp, he was also absent because of a personal matter.

Said Linehan, "I did talk to Marshall and he did have a conflict. He is the one person that is confirmed that has a conflict for this particular minicamp. Plus he is not cleared to do anything anyway, so I OK'd that." DRAFT

STRATEGY:

Had the Rams lost to the Dallas Cowboys on the final night of the regular season last January, they would be selecting eighth instead of 11th in the first round of the April 29 draft.

If that were the case, they would have a much better idea of what direction they will go with the choice, and it would give them a better chance of landing the impact player they want, like tight end Vernon Davis or linebacker A.J. Hawk.

Their presence at No. 11 is almost in no-man's land. While there are good players, there are questions whether the value they would get there is worthwhile. It's why the Rams are considering an aggressive approach to a possible trade that would perhaps land them in the top five.

The unknown is what the price would be to get as high as they need. With numerous indications the ***** are targeting Davis in the sixth spot, the Rams would have to get to the fifth choice to land him.

But it's also not out of the question that the Rams are considering a bold move to wind up with defensive end Mario Williams.

If the Rams prove unsuccessful in moving up and let the draft come to them, which is their usual approach, there have been rumblings they will not rule out taking a quarterback if Jay Cutler slips to No. 11.

While Marc Bulger is under contract for two more seasons, he has been affected by three shoulder injuries the last two seasons. Still, it seems a longshot that Linehan would go in that direction in his first draft.

The logical strategy would be to trade down, obviously if a viable partner can be found. That could have a better chance of occurring if Cutler or even Vince Young hasn't been selected.

Should the Rams end up picking at No. 11, they could go in several directions. Their best hope there is that Texas defensive back Michael Huff is available, which assumes Davis and Hawk are off the board.

While there is debate whether Huff will wind up at cornerback or safety, the reality with the Rams is they need both, which could make him an ideal fit. Fans shudder at the notion the Rams could add a defensive tackle like Haloti Ngata or Brodrick Bunkley, only because Damione Lewis and Jimmy Kennedy were each 12th overall picks and didn't live to that billing.

Kennedy still has a chance, but Lewis signed with Carolina in the early days of free agency.

But the Rams need depth inside, making a first-round defensive tackle a possibility, along with a cornerback or linebacker.

No matter what happens in the first round, the Rams are expected to come out of the first day with three players from four potential positions: tight end, linebacker, defensive lineman and defensive back.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams considering trading into the top five?

Well that was a lengthy one, but also a great find, Nick. What in the world would it take to get Mario Williams, assuming he is being targeted (although i am a firm believer that this is a smokescreen) by the Saints? would it make more sense to rade down for the Big Bobby? (Carpenter that is.) assuming we add an extra second (Minnesota has two.) or early third, we could come out of day one with a mixture of any four of the predescibed above.

Thoughts?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's put it this way - the Rams' first and second round pick could get them to fifth overall, as there is only a ten point difference there. That could put them in the running for Hawk or Davis. To get Williams, they'd likely have to move up to second overall, which is just too expensive IMO.

Furthermore, and I know a lot of people don't subscribe to this theory, but I just don't think it's the best move to trade away picks to move up and take a tight end. While Vernon Davis is an excellent athlete with unquestionable ability for the next level, the offense hasn't been what's cost us in recent years. It's been the defense, which is why I think if you're going to package multiple picks to move up, it should be to take a player to help fill your biggest weak point. And right now, even after signing three big defensive free agents, the defense is still the weak part of this team IMO.

If I were going to sacrifice a second or third round pick in a trade up, I would do it for Hawk, Super Mario, or Huff - the three elite defensive talents in this draft. Taking Davis at 11 would be fine, but trading away a pick that could be used to address the defense in order to take a player to contribute to an offense that's already in the top ten just doesn't seem wise to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

If I were going to sacrifice a second or third round pick in a trade up, I would do it for Hawk, Super Mario, or Huff - the three elite defensive talents in this draft. Taking Davis at 11 would be fine, but trading away a pick that could be used to address the defense in order to take a player to contribute to an offense that's already in the top ten just doesn't seem wise to me.
    I like your words- keep sayin them. I agree completely.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If we are going to trade up to 5th, we need to get an elite defensive player. There is an absolute ton of depth in the draft class at TE, and we already have enough weapons on offense to be very good while the TE develops. That said, we could easily pick a guy in the third or 4th to come in and start right away.

I would love to get AJ Hawk, because that would make the Rams LB corps one of the best instantly. I would also love to get Mario Williams, because he is a total beast, and i would love to see a QB dropping back to throw and being faced with the prospect of both Mario Williams and Leonard Little coming at him. But i would also love Huff aswell. However, i do feel at this moment in time that there is enough depth in the secondary to be good enough for the season.

I would prefer to vastly improve the front 7, so that the Rams are very good against the run and have a good pass rush. This makes the secondary's job so much easier. So i would prefer Hawk or Williams

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I agree 1000%.
    I wouldn't be extremely upset if we took Davis at 11, but if he falls to 11, I'd much rather see us trade down with someone else who is really hot for him, get extra picks, and still come away with Pope or Lewis to fill the TE need.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247
    I would prefer to vastly improve the front 7, so that the Rams are very good against the run and have a good pass rush. This makes the secondary's job so much easier. So i would prefer Hawk or Williams
    Me too. I'd be thrilled to get Huff, but Hawk or Williams might have an even greater impact. Like you said, a good front seven makes the secondary better.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Amen Nick, this is the same gospel i have been preaching for months. Trade up to get DEFENSE only, if davis is there when you pick at 11, so be it, i am happy to take him if he is the best guy available.

I am no longer interested in trading down if ngata is available at 11.

I dont see why our 1 and 2 would get us to 5 where green bay picks, given that green bay apparantly turned down two 1's from denver. I dont think this is a question of math on the chart, i think green bay is locked in on the impact linebacker that they need, aj hawk.

The number chart is great, but its like a price guide. Its a guide only, its not an offer to buy or sell.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Maybe Green Bay didnt want to trade now, and are waiting till draft day. For example they might be interested in trading down if Williams is already gone, but if he is there they will take him.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I'm with you GC trade with green bay if Hawk is there at 5 or trade up for huff if davies falls to 11 and hes the best player then take him

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Fans shudder at the notion the Rams could add a defensive tackle like Haloti Ngata or Brodrick Bunkley, only because Damione Lewis and Jimmy Kennedy were each 12th overall picks and didn't live to that billing.
    This argument is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I swear this logic is the equivalent of having a debate with a pig-tail twirling bubble-gum smacking school-girl's philosophical retort of "whatever!"

Please, I beg everyone, be smarter than to ever give this argument any credence.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

I could not AGREE more with Nick.

This SHOULD be our strategy. We should be aggressive and target Hawk, Huff, or Mario Williams. Any of those 3.
    We are fairly close and I think the talent level between 8 and 11 is significant.

Vernon Davis is overrated. If you look at Tight Ends and where they are drafted and their corresponding performance, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to take Davis.

Firstly, every personnel director will tell you that Tight End is one position that can be solidified in rounds 3-7. Some of the best Tight Ends come later. Davis just doesn't make sense especially for the Rams that have already commited major bucks to that Position with Manu.

I do think we should take a TE at some point in the draft but NOT in the first round EVEN if Davis falls to us at 11. We have far greater needs than TE and we'll be passing up a much needed defensive player if we take Davis. Even though Davis' measurables are super impressive, I don't think he will necessarily end up being more productive than the other top TE's in the draft. It's a case of jaw dropping combine numbers causing a mindless feeding frenzy among analysts.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I think we will definately take Davis if he falls to us. If not then I'm predicting its the Marcades Lewis or Leonard pope in the 2nd.
    RamsFan16

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Vernon Davis is overrated. If you look at Tight Ends and where they are drafted and their corresponding performance, it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to take Davis.
    OVERATED? Have you considered how much more the Ram's offense could have performed had they a first class TE. AHHHHHHH....do the cowboys (and many other Super Bowl team with great TE's) in their heyday come to mind? Davis is an animal with "great" skills. What did Gates do for the Chargers? To give our offense the diversity to scare the living hell out of defenses, WE MUST DRAFT VERON DAVIS!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast